CL: Arsenal v Olympique de Marseille [R] - Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by kanonier, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Champions League
    Arsenal v Olympique de Marseille
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011
    19:45 GMT, 2:45 EST
    TV: SS2, FS+

Group standings
    Arsenal, 7 pts, +2 GD
    Marseille: 6 pts, +3 GD
    Olympiacos: 3 pts, 0 GD
    Borussia Dortmund: 1 pt, -5 GD

It's five wins in on the trot for Arsenal in all competitions as we go into the first of the reverse fixtures of our Champions League group. A win against Marseille at home would go a long way towards securing the top spot in the group.

I'm all for some squad rotation here -- wouldn't mind seeing the front line we saw against Bolton last Tuesday of Arshavin, Park, and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Keep some firepower on the bench if we need it late.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Park, Arsha, TV5 and perhaps Frimpy and Rosicky will very likely start. They are good enough to to the job. We need to protect RVP.
    We may see Carl Jenkinson as well.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Fitzgerald#11

Fitzgerald#11 Member

May 23, 2007
    Calgary
    play the first choice players, wrap up the group first then worry about rotating.

Woj
    Jenk - Per- Kos - Verm
    Song Arteta
    Ramsey
    Theo RVP Gerv​

If you want to get AA or Rosicky in there fine but other then that just get the 3 pts

5. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have a feeling Wenger will see it this way as well. He'll want to go out on top here.

6. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    At the end of the day the further you get in CL the more money you make so knowing Arsenal they will make sure we are no1 in the group because that makes the chances more likely you will get further.

7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4 points between this game and the one against Dortmund should just about seal the deal.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Marseille are shit (at least played it in the last game), so i see no issues here.

I agree with some rotation though. Rest Robin, but don't alter it too much. give Park a full start, and play Vermaelen and Kos. Per has been OK (nothing more, he's played well but also has been caught out a lot) and we need to see how well Vermaelan and Kos can play together. Or better still, play Theo in the striker's position. If the worst comes to the worst, and Robin gets injured sometime, it's time if we can see if Theo can play an out and out striker's role. He at least has the pace for it.

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AW rotated against Olympiacos and will very likely do the same vs. Marseille.

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    We have a striker named Park who has quite well shown (only 1 game I know) that he can play the role. I say lets play him whenever RVP doesn't play and keep his confidence going. Other than that, I would say rest Kos for Verm, because he is our 2nd most important defender and rest one of the midfielders. (maybe Rmsey for Rosicky). Also wouldn't mind seeing Arshavin for one of the wingers.

11. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think the past has showed us, that arsene does not care about finishing 1st in the group. only wants to qualify.

3 points should wrap this up, so i dont think wholesale changes are necessary.

12. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Wenger just last week spoke about us coming 2nd in the group stages last year hurt us because we drew Barca. Needless to say he doesn't want us to see Barca again.

13. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my pic for CL match....

Woj
    Jenk - Per- Kos - Verm
    Song Arteta
    Ramsey
    Theo RVP Park

I will use my sub as follow
    MC29 for RVP (only if we are in winning by two goals)
    AA for Park
    Roscky for Arteta

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    gibbs and santos injured?

15. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Santos is exactly what you want in Europe, with jenks or DJ on the right, you need a spark from your lb, Verm won't provide that. Good time to get him back in the center, per needs a rest I bet.

16. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eh, I want plenty of rotation. I at least expect to see Park, Arshavin, Rosicky, Vermaelen, and Jenkinson in the starting lineup. The rest may be regular starters. I think Wenger will rotate, but not completely, as some of you have rightly pointed out he'll want to win to help finish out the group. If we were really rotating we'd see more of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Frimpong, etc. I figure we get this group locked up then those guys can play more in the last two games.

17. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure about Gibbs but Santos is not injured and i would love to test TV in that position. I think he can play very well.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already announced he will rotate. I would bet that Ramsey, RVP, Per and JD will not start the game. AA, Park, Jenkinson, Verm and perhaps Rosicky may get the go ahead. I am fine with that. They are good enough to beat Marseille at the Emirates.

"
    As Villas-Boas heads off to Genk, Wenger indicated that he might make some changes for Marseille’s visit tomorrow. “I will rotate a little bit certainly.”

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was impressed with YB last time around, and he deserves another good run.

20. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    rvp on the bench. bring him on if tied.

2-1 to le arse.

21. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    He hasn't done enough to be first choice, but I love his tireless effort.

Also: I predict a clean sheet. I would love to see a nice, tidy defensive effort after that win an STAMFORD BRIIIIIIIIIDGE. FCUKING Chelski skum: shove it.

22. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    Seriously, any pic of them is classic.

[​IMG]

23. The Clock End

The Clock End New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's my predicted starting eleven:

Szczesny​

Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Santos​

Benayoun Song Arteta​

Theo Park Arshavin​

Frimpong struggled against Bolton in the Carling Cup, so I don't think we'll see him. Chamakh is injured and won't be in the squad. Wenger will probably have RvP and Gervinho on the bench just in case.​

24. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good ol' Master Blaster.

I'm not sure you could put the "Blaster" character into a movie today without huge public outcry.