Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Nerroth, May 11, 2016.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The next entry in the mainline Civilization game series is in the works, and will be published for PC this October.

Ombak repped this.
  2. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hard to tell what, if any, major improvements have been made based on the initial screenshots. CivV complete is $12.50 when on Steam sale, so I may wait on early adoption this time which only resulted in me spending $140 for CivV, it's add-ons, and expansions.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will be interesting to see if they go back to allowing multiple units per tile. seems like there's quite a few asking to go back to that. i actually find myself right in the middle of those two camps. i'm fine with either way... though stacks of doom can become a bit tedious. i think it'd work best if they found a way to do multiple units per hex, but limit them based on the type. like, depending on your upgrades, tech, and other variables, you can have up to say... 3-4 units per tile. or maybe they could use this as an excuse to re-implement the army units from the older generation civ games. wherever you have a great general, you can have more units occupying that tile.

regardless, i probably won't be getting it for a couple years anyway (i wait for the complete edition as well as the price drop), so my opinion doesn't count for much.

superdave repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to get into V and never did. I still think IV is the best game I've ever played...not that I'm a huge gamer. A few oddities here and there, and about 6 editions of Football Manager. But I still play IV from time to time...just a hell of a fun game, very well balanced.

The one thing that was present in II but I haven't seen since is a level where the earlier game is easier and the later game is harder. At the highest level (Deity?) early in the game the shield cost for the AIs was 70%, but at some point it switched to 60%.

In IV I play at Monarch level...if I can survive to the middle ages I almost always win because by that point the game is so complicated that I can outsmart the AI. But I have a hard time getting there. The Perfect Game Conceived By Man would allow me to play Prince level up until, say, Feudalism, then switch to Monarch.

YankBastard repped this.
  5. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's what has been stated, I believe. You'll be able to have support units, like anti-tank guns stacked, but it will be based on unit type. I ended up liking V quite a bit once all the expansions were released. Trade routes were really cool. Supposedly, VI will come with similar features as V ended with and not hold back religion, spying, and trade for expansions which they did between IV and V.

6. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the screen shots of the game, I'm not impressed at all. Cartoon graphics that look like they were made for people who play games on their phone.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OK, so, pet peeve/honest question.

What is this objection to bright, colorful and good graphics just because they're stylized as opposed to photorealistic?

As for some of the announced changes: the districts thing really interests me. It's pulled form Endless Legend (and maybe other games?) but tweaked a bit. Apparently it will allow for canal cities! Finally!

8. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The graphics suck, they're too cartoonish. I couldn't said it any clearer. It looks like they made it for someone who plays it on their iphone rather than a PC. Just look at that shit. They're not stylized, they suck. Hopefully the mods section takes care of that. Civ IV had better graphics. Maybe even Civ III.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually, I think they're comparable to 4 and Civ 4 was worse.

At any rate, you didn't really give me more of an answer than I've ever heard anywhere but I won't insist on it.

10. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer more realistic graphics.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saw it at E3 today. The animations are beautiful. I think the footage all came from the same playthrough they released to some influencers for recent youtube videos but included more of it.

I'm really looking forward to it but wish there had been more detail but there's probably a ton of polishing going on right now.

NORML repped this.
  12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The E3 presentation is available on their youtube now:

13. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One of my favourite video game series'. Definately will buy on release. Firaxis got careless and revealed a poster with all leaders and civilizations in the game.

Leaders and Civilizations (open)

America - Roosevelt
    Arabia - Saladin
    Aztecs - Montezuma II
    Brazil - Pedro II
    China - Qin Shi Huang
    Egypt - Cleopatra
    England - Victoria
    France - Catherine de Medici
    Germany - Frederick Barbarossa
    Greece - Pericles
    India - Gandhi
    Japan - Hojo Tokimune
    Kongo - Afonso I
    Poland - Jadwiga
    Rome - Trajan
    Russia - Peter the Great
    Scythia - Tomyris
    Spain - Isabella of Portugal Spain and/or Philip II
    Sumeria - Gilgamesh

14. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can't believe how much of this was deduced from that poster in a different room in a grainy picture.

The Civ6 announcement encouraged me to delve back into the black hold time-suck that is Civ5. Sigh.... Fun, but so much time.

I'm less bothered by the main graphics than by the monstrosities in the leader screens. It's like they saw the uncanny valley problems of Civ5 leaders, and retreated to even more cartoonish stereotypes. The unique bonuses for civilizations seem much more pronounced. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

They've apparently made the Aztecs a pre-order exclusive until 3mos after release.

15. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked it with Civ IV, and before, where you have like 3 leaders from each civ to choose from.

16. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Considering that each Civilazation has an unique ability and the leader has a unique ability as well, that could well be the case in the Civilization VI.

17. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What was rumoured to exist is true. Multiple leaders are available to choose from for certain civilizations.

Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG] Also confirms that Gorgo is the leader of Greece along with Pericles and Harald Hardrada is the leader of Norway. All leaders and civilizations are now accounted for.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Civ VI is looking really good.

On a kind of funny note: last week all leaders were leaked when the designers were streaming and broke the number one rule of streaming pre-release Civ: they opened the Civilopedia!

19. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah that spoiler screenshot is from that stream. Incidently they have not put that stream up for playback but you can watch it on a Chinese web-site:

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5892793/

20. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlocks at midnight (EDT) tonight. Anyone else picking it up?

NORML repped this.
  21. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am. I got the Deluxe Edition. Will be conquering the world as Rome in my first game. I already got the day off work. Will be playing it over the weekend as well.

NORML repped this.
  22. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Got a lot lined up over the next few weeks that won't allow for the huge time sink this will be, so I'll probably wait and see if it goes 10% off in the winter Steam Sale. Tough to hold off as the build-up has made it out to be a pretty exciting upgrade, but I'm trying hard not to pre-order, 1st day buy too much.

23. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never ever buy a game right when it comes out. Too many bugs and stuff. I wait at least a month for the eventual patches and also initial game reviews.

24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played it last night..err...early this morning. Enjoying it so far. The additions of districts makes selecting what and where to build something a much more interesting choice than before. I know what I'll be doing most of the weekend.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think? Are you thinking after 72 hours of Civ VI? I thought Civ V would be difficult to play compared to Civ IV but then I got Civ V and never thought about Civ IV again. Is it that good of an upgrade this time?