City Islander News

Discussion in 'Harrisburg City Islanders' started by ButlerBob, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory, what other cities would be interesting to the City Islanders organization? Seems that the owner of the Islanders has a son that was going to college in Nashville, hence why there was some interest from the club.

Memphis seems like a similar sized metro in the same state but one that doesn't have any "native" forces in competition. Any others?

2. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Nashville FC folks lost their minds when this news came out. Well let me rephrase, a couple of NFC lost their minds. I have spoken with the leader of NFC and he said that they wouldn't do anything that wasn't 100% supporter owned. With USSF professional rules that essentially removes going pro as an option for that organization. Nashville is a Top 3o market and will be a landing spot for a pro team soon in one of the minor leagues (Whether it ever makes MLS who knows?) It will happen with or without the blessing of the local amateur side.

That being said, the pro team will reach out to them and try to work something out. It just makes sense to try, but if they are rebuffed I don't think it would make that big of a difference.

3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omaha?

4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on what type of "support" the professional team could give Nashville FC. If they had a stadium lease set up where Nashville FC could piggy back off of and reduce their operational costs I'm sure Nashville FC would take it. I don't imagine they're competing for the same "players" and with a short NPSL season, most of the fans would be "cross/over" and Nashville FC would even encourage that if they were given pitch time for practice/games for free. Heck, you could even see a Nashville FC supporters group at the "insert name of professional side" games.

It really depends on Nashville FC's ambitions, and if they're set on keeping it supporter owned, they know the "peak" of their growth in this USSF landscape.

Either way, I hope Nashville gets a team in NASL or USL soon.

5. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    They could do something like Seattle at the pro level where people can buy into the club and have a say on some decisions. The pro club could affiliate with NFC and move them to PDL (Because a USL club would not have an NPSL partner) The PDL team could continue to be 100% Supporter owned. On the stadium, you could see Greer used for both. If pro soccer moved in it would be the only tennant.

There are more ways for this to work, but it would require that NFC realize that they don't get to claim a whole metro area because they have 300 supporters/owners. Honestly the people that are flipping out more are the ones that joined up for the supporter culture than anything else anyway.

Blando13 repped this.
  6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And adding a team as part of a bigger organization doesn't mean that supporter culture leaves ... you'd have more games to "support" and a pro team that you didn't "own" as a supporter, and an amateur side you did "own". Like I said, it depends on NFC's ultimate ambitions.

7. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    #57 sawillis, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah but the initial outrage was a result of that culture. You do have a few hardcores that are NFC or nothing. That is the group that I was talking about. Every soccer fan base has that group that is trying to recreate some green street hooligan fantasy, and in the end that is more important than anything else. Since the current setup basically sets a ceiling of amateur soccer, you would have to think that the organization would have the foresight to at least partner up with a pro club. It would provide a better situation for both organizations IMO.

Also as a part of their ambitions, their stated ambitions is to be a 100% supporter club at the highest level. Unfortunately for them for something like that to happen it would take decades to build and massive reform at USSF, and Pro Soccer isn't just going to ignore Nashville, a Top 30 market, while they claim things that likely can never happen. It would have taken them years to reach D3 Certification levels and now with USL pushing toward D2...That seems impossible too. I like they idea of what they are, and don't want it to go away by any means, but it is time for Nashville to go pro.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course that's the case.

9. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=209907538

City Islanders kick off their preseason as they travel to College Park to take on University of Maryland on Sunday, March 8 at 11 a.m. ET.

Bill Becher's squad will then travel to Millersville College to take on St. Francis University on Wednesday, March 11 at 8 p.m. ET.

Finally, Harrisburg will close out their preseason schedule, as they face the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Friday, March 13, with the time to be determined at Millersville College.

11. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HCI home opener is coming this weekend. I haven't seen much on this board, or in the news, about well much of anything (other than roster) related to HCI.

Any news on their partnership with Philly, stadium, etc.

12. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mcall.com/sports/columnists/mc-ppl-park-feature-0703-20150706-story.html

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a interesting comment. I wonder if they will go with the model of having them train in Philly and only play at the other location.

14. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any rumors about the future of HCI?

we keep hearing small details about the Union forming their own team in Lehigh Valley / Bethlehem

15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely hope Harrisburg survives... probably hinges on the stadium

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner of HCI said they're sticking to h-burg or at least close by, says they are fine with losing affiliation. My guess is they'll move to the baseball stadium they've played at a few times now.

Bethlehem is happening, the Union affiliation is dead.

17. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last I read was that they were waiting on a grant approval from the state legislature to build a new stadium. There hasn't really been any other stadium news since then has there ?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.recklesschallenge.net/ci...-verge-of-break-up-whats-next-for-harrisburg/

“We have looked at other areas, we have looked at Nashville, the Union are exploring options, we are all looking but we feel really compelled to stay in Central PA. This is where we live, this is where we work, and we love sports. After diligent research, we want to stay here.”

What about the new stadium?

Union CEO Sakiewicz was open in the past to help fund that stadium project but now that appears to be over. There is a grant in a current bill in the Pennsylvania state budget to help fund a new stadium on City Island. If it goes through, stadium construction will begin in March of 2016 and play would begin in spring 2017. However, if that cannot go through, there are other options.

Where will Harrisburg play in 2016? What are the other options?

Clipper Magazine Stadium, home to the Lancaster Barnstormers of the Atlantic Professional Baseball League, will host City Islanders vs. FC Montreal on August 29thand City Islanders vs. Philadelphia Union. A source has leaked that Harrisburg will play regular season games in Lancaster next season at Clipper Magazine Stadium and possibly at Metro Bank Park located on City Island beside Skyline Sports Complex, home of the Harrisburg Senators.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://cityislanders.com/club-news/...-to-dissolve-five-year-exclusive-partnership/

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City Islanders future uncertain in Harrisburg
    http://cumberlink.com/news/local/co...cle_37134d81-68d9-5001-b985-cc64ab5ea956.html

Lopes added attendance at City Islanders games is up more than 100 percent since 2013. The sport is growing, he said, and Harrisburg needs to capitalize on the interest.

But a state grant application, requesting $5 million, is stalled with the budget impasse. Without that, the time to consider other options is coming up quick.

Nashville has already approached the owners about moving the team.

22. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate to say it... this team is gone. Without support from the mayor they aren't going to get $5 million, without the Union they aren't going to finance it themselves. I predict they move or fold, and move is a much better option.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've given every recent indication that they will remain in business but just not at city island. I'm still of the opinion that they'll probably play 2016 at Clipper stadium in nearby Lancaster.

24. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this would be a much better choice. Although the metro area has a smaller population, the city of Lancaster is actually bigger than Harrisburg, and the vibe is much healthier.