Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Yea but why have Pulisic at the US game so he can help save the corruptalters?

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, right now I want to see all of the US big guns playing and then the team still looking like crap. Because if that happens, it will remove all doubt about who the problems are - the Berhalters and Stewart - and we can move the process forward of rectifying the mistakes.

Of course, since this is US Soccer and they don't care as long as the SUM money from El Tri friendlies keeps pouring in, they don't care.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point he isn’t saving anyone it’s Jay. If anything him going and complaining about 3G would be more likely to get him axed. He should play against Canada and leave before Cuba.

ifsteve repped this.
  4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the problem with the leave Pulisic home line of thinking. Do you really think if the USSF is as ignorant as you believe do you think leaving our best players home and losing to Canada would actually force them to fire GGG?

DHC1 repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm guessing it wasn't the post that moved. I'd be surprised if he makes a flight t/a with a bruise like that.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Pulisic isn’t that type of guy. If he has a problem, he’ll state it directly as he did via an article when he was bothered by Arena’s comments/actions.

7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some solid logic there. I just wonder if anyone would 'get it' that matters when it comes to the changes necessary.

8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The powers that be will never get it, because they don't want to get it.

It blows my mind to think that a team with McKennie (BL/past Europe starter), Pulisic (EPL/UCL starter), Yedlin (EPL starter), Dest (Eredivisie/UCL starter), Brooks (BL starter, but I know he's coming off injury), Adams (BL starter - same deal as Brooks), Steffen (BL starter) and even some decent MLS talent like Morris (who has been one of the best on-field USMNT performers) can look so awful. You see these guys for their club teams, and they are all at least solid contributors when healthy in some strong leagues. It's mind-blowing to me that this group could be so much less than the sum of their parts unless it's the coaching.

These next two Nations League games will be extremely telling. Unless I'm wrong, I believe Adams is going to be the only big-time European player who will be out because of injury. If this group of players cannot play well together, that falls on one individual - Gregg Berhalter.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I wish Pulisic decides to sit out these 2 games for 2 reasons.

1 - He's been playing LOTS of minutes these past 2 weeks. This kid need to rest, before the City game. And yeah, that hip bruise.

2 - He's in really GOOD FORM right now with Chelsea and Frankie. I just don't want 3G to f*ck that up. 3G's dumb ass is going to screw his form up by telling him to do some stupid shite and putting dumb players around him.

Stay in London, kid. Rest up and show Pep who's boss.

bostonsoccermdl and Excellency repped this.
  10. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    #4585 dams, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    With regards to the USMNT, my opinion has been that it is going to take real honest to goodness US stars at the international level to start force change in the insular culture that is US Soccer. I'm not sure what Puli's ceiling is, but to be honest, where he is now is probably what I was thinking it might have been previously. While he is never going to be a Messi or Ronaldo level, if he keeps his current form in the EPL for an extended period, or especially continues his ascent, the mere fact that he is an American will make him a legitimate international presence in the world of soccer (and money). It then may be not so easy for folks in the Fed to continue to make him the fool with their self serving agendas and complete disregard for meritocracy. Pulisic seems to me to be very motivated when it comes to glory for country on the soccer pitch. If he becomes a big enough fish on the world stage, I would worry if I were the big fish in little pond that is US soccer.

TrueCrew, TOAzer, RefIADad and 1 other person repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    youve got it backwards. I’ve heard that Pulisic and Lampard are crediting Gregg for unlocking his potential after a mere 8 months of working together.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOAzer repped this.
  13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is not a given, his career path is on a similar trajectory to both of them when they were his age.

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4589 RefIADad, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    This is how I imagine a call like that would go.

Lampard on the phone with Gregg: "Yep . . . . uh-huh . . . uh-huh . . . yep, we'll get right on it. K, thanks, bye."

Lampard with Morris after hanging up:
    [​IMG]

15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would go more like..WUT? WTF is this this again and how did you get this #?

RefIADad repped this.
  16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Did you even read the article? Headlines and articles don't have to be related in England. There is nothing in the article about GGG speaking to Lampard, let alone giving him advice. It's basically GGG saying Frank's doing well handling CP. It was written after the ajax game 3 weeks ago.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be ok

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Do we know if Pulisic is on his way to the US or already landed in the US?

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looks like he took BigSoccer's advice and is retiring from the international game.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Smart kid.

PS I edited your post.

TOAzer repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    US Soccer should be steadily trying to schedule a friendly with England at the earliest opportunity.

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP out of the Nations League Roster.... Just another excuse for GB when the team gets rolled by Canada. In all seriousness... it is certainly time for the rest of these USMNT players to stand up and take the fight to our neighbors in the North. Have some pride. If I thought a loss would spell the end for GB I would actually root for it... but alas... I think he is untouchable until they get bounced from WCQ. I used to love Intl Breaks because it gave me a chance to see all of our players on the pitch together.... now I just dread it. Thanks GB and those that gave you the keys.

23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    This quote came after the roster release so he still might be there:

"After originally being named to the roster last week, Christian Pulisic's availability remains uncertain after suffering a hip injury this weekend. He continues to be evaluated and a decision on whether he will join the U.S. camp in Orlando is expected soon."

edit nevermind this just in the Twiiter:

Speaking to media ahead of today's training session, #USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter confirms that @cpulisic_10 will miss out on this month's @CNationsLeague matches.

50/50 Ball and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. There is no easy way out for Gregg. He is gonna have to beat Canada without Pulisic wonder play.
    Honestly, I expected this. You don't sub out a guy who is your best player, who flew across the Atlantic, and wanted to play the full 90 against Canada when you need a goal. I don't care if he isn't playing well enough with Roldan and Lovitz or is feeling slightly ill.

Patrick167, appwrangler, smokarz and 2 others repped this.
  25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he did it to protect the kid, I'm ok with it. Too many coaches go the other way.

We may never get the answer. We still have not gotten the scoop on Landon missing the cup 5 years ago!

comoesa repped this.