Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not fit and they're friendlies way before any meaningful games -- wtf is wrong with a bunch of you?

Rhetorical question. I know what it is.

JJV1994, Zinkoff, ebbro and 3 others repped this.
  2. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't. You don't. Most non-casual (and many casual) fans don't.

But almost assuredly, someone at USSF does. Sarachan has already stated that Bradley will be a part of the team's future: "I’ve made it pretty clear, I think, over the course of the months that I've had the team that the focus right now has been to offer opportunities for a lot of our young players. But we’re not discounting the value of veteran leadership, and Michael falls into that category. So there will be a time, I’m sure, that we’re going to count on those players like Michael to be a part of things."

If Pulisic was to be a team leader going forward, then there's a case to be made that he should be present at these friendlies to establish himself in that role. But the USMNT staff are planning for the return of "Captain America" and the other "veteran leadership", for better or worse - and they're not planning for Puli to take on that mantle.

I don't like it - but that is what's happening.

Unless the incoming head coach takes a strong stand against it, next March, expect Bradley and Altidore and maybe Guzan and Besler and Zusi, why not... :cautious:

ceezmad repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you plan for Pulisic to take on the leadership mantle now? He is still quite young and already has plenty on his plate. Who knows if he even is much of a leader? There will be a need for veteran leadership but I don't know if that necessarily means Bradley. Sarachan says "players like Michael". Plenty of room for a player(s) to step up. Leadership roles are often something that evolves and isn't so much assigned.

jackiesdad and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Pulisic plays like a leader on the field. If we had 11 of him, I'd start 8 and play someone else at GK and the CBs.

He is slightly hurt and no one should want him traveling a ton and playing two games when rest is a better prescription for him.

This wasn't begging off, this was making a mature decision.

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Most depressing thing I have read on the USMNT since watching us get scratched from the WC. Just about done with the Nats. Sad sad day.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MB's coming back is not necessarily a big deal. I think there is a good chance he will age-out normally and soon.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its a bigger problem for his presence than his ability. We've had "mediocre" players on the NT before who've played small roles or big roles.

smokarz repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Agreed. This group is starting a chemistry over the past 7-8 months, introducing guys like Bradley now is bad for the locker room, and I would bet guys like Pulisic and McKennie would rather not see him. These young guys have their own clique now. Pulisic, McKennie, Sargent, Adam's, Weah, etc.

manfromgallifrey91, Burr and laxcoach repped this.
  9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an easy explanation for Pulisic's absences: He gave his m-fing all to the MNT during the qualifying campaign, which was both physically and psychologically exhausting. The goal of this year is to figure out what the direction of the program is given so much uncertainty. Pulisic is one of the few certain things about this team, so his presence in the team adds zero information about the most important question hovering over it. Makes perfect sense for him to just dial out of the MNT scene while they are figuring their shit out, lock down his young career with BVB, and return when he's actually needed.

Could some conspiracy theory be true? Yeah, I guess, but what does that even look like? Pulisic is going to do what? He's cap tied to the US. And as the article he wrote just after the T&T debacle indicated, he is laser focused on rectifying the 2018 failure. So all evidence points away from anything worrisome being afoot.

But I admit, the headline made me read Galarcep's article, so as salacious clickbait it was a success even if it was analytically a failure.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... is this for real?

Sure, Bradley has captained the side to trophies, scored numerous massive goals for the country, marshaled the midfield for basically a decade... why would a young player want him around?

What. are you. talking about.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3461 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    YES IT IS.

A) He failed as Captain under two different coaches
    B) He has been horrendous this year - so he is not merit-based anymore.
    C) he represents the failed establishment
    D) He is considered a poor leader by insiders
    E) He takes time away from the future
    F) he refused to stick up for Pulisic when being targeted. (As Captain).
    G) he is 31, and now moves like 47.
    H) D. Williams is coming back from injury
    I) A. Morales is a current 90-minute starter for Dusseldorf in Bundesliga.

Burr, laxcoach and jackiesdad repped this.
  12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3462 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Sep 12, 2018
    because they are all friends and Bradley did nothing when Pulisic was being hacked to injury vs Panama.

Bradley drew a line in the sand that day, and Jimmy Conrad just confirmed it.

jackiesdad repped this.
  13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3463 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Sep 12, 2018
    You see how Dempsey and Jones retired soon after the sheep US soccer media keeps cheerleading the return of Bradley and other 30+ aged out players?

That's class. They are sending a message: its about them (the kids), not us.

jackiesdad repped this.
  14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I am talking what have you done lately. Time to move on buddy.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    So Clint Dempsey completely retired from soccer because Michael Bradley hasn't been officially exiled from the NT? That's some next level conspiracy theory thinking.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not the only reason he retired, certainly, but one might hope it was the primary reason.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People don't want facts they want excitement.

onefineesq repped this.
  18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can work with the DM's in the film room. Share his knowledge. But only with supervision.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying they need to call him in, but your reasons why they wouldn't are nonsensical and not based at all in reality.

You owe me a pint, btw.

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #3470 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Sep 12, 2018
    At one point people were criticized for thinking the earth was round.

Anyway, its not just in reference to Michael Bradley, its the 30+ age group that aren't any good anymore or can hardly move their feet that the sheep media keep publicly cheerleading for a return.

if you want to bring in ad-hoc leadership than bring in someone as a coach during practice etc. that was not part of the failure in T &T such as Jermaine Jones, Bocanegra, etc. and that's it.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3471 EruditeHobo, Sep 12, 2018
    You're more akin to flat-earthers in this specific situation, unfortunately, because you're asserting/suggesting that guys like CP don't want anything to do with guys like Bradley based solely on your personal feelings about the recent performance of guys like Bradley.

This doesn't make nearly as much sense as involving in some capacity the reigning US captain with a gigantic wealth of experience.

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    its not personal feelings. look, you just don't get it. Michael Bradley represents everything that was wrong with USSoccer ( it does not mean that MB was not a fantastic player at times), but players like Pulisic, and Mckennie and previously Dempsey and Jones represent what is right about USsoccer. Its why players like Pulisic side with Cameron instead of Bradley. The connected spoon fed culture vs earning it after going through multiple layers of walls.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This again is your personal opinion, which is not really reasonable... but I know your history with Bradley, you have an issue with him, you've been illogically whining about him for a decade, so there's no reason to beat this to death especially in a Pulisic thread. I'm just saying, when you bring up conspiracy theory-level nonsense that is backed up by nothing it's going to get called out.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    the reigning USA Captain that Failed to qualify for the World Cup? and failed under two different coaches? and who also walked to the corner flag in our most important final minutes? and which former USMNT insiders just publicly exposed as who he is as a national team leader?

yea, keep spinning reality.

adi21 repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick search of your posts with "Bradley" shows your bias. I'm not going to continue to hijack, but don't talk to me about "spinning reality" with the ridiculous stuff you've posted about Bradley over literally a decade here at BS; it's a laughable assertion, coming from the likes of you.