Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A sad day, Dortmund has been eliminated from Champion's League play . . .

Christian Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund eliminated from UEFA Champions League

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...ussia-dortmund-champions-league-quarterfinals

Christian Pulisic’s father Mark spoke with Sports Illustrated about the incident and finding out about his son’s safety just 20 minutes after the attack.

“It was a tough couple of hours there with my wife. It’s something you never expect to happen. Tragedies happen, but you never know it could happen to you. I just saw today if they had detonated one second earlier there would have been casualties. Soccer isn’t on the forefront of my mind now anymore. I just want Christian to get through the season, be happy and get a break.” — Mark Pulisic; Source: Sports Illustrated

On the field, Pulisic had a big impact in the first leg, coming on at halftime with Dortmund down 2-0 and quickly helping change the momentum. However, he wasn’t given much of a chance to affect the second leg as he only received 18 minutes and came on with his side down two goals on aggregate.

It’s an unfortunate end to a great run for Pulisic and Dortmund. Passage to next year’s tournament looks good as they currently hold a 10 point cushion above fifth place in the Bundesliga and are just one point away from third spot, which would grant them entry straight to the group stage. Assuming he stays for another season, Pulisic should get more Champions League chances in 2017-18.

Bajoro repped this.
  2. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Unreal. Sounds like the plot of a Guy Ritchie film.

HouseHead78 repped this.
  4. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Wow. That is dark. :cautious:

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The good news is that this was caused by one guy and he's now arrested. So I think the players can maybe breathe a little more.

Bajoro repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so messed up. Now we have to worry about economic terrorism? At least for publicly held teams I guess.

7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Can't foresee a copycat for this plan.

8. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a light hearted note, I did see on social media that CP had some friends in town recently. I wonder if they traveled around in a van with a dog and solved mysteries.

9. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Any report from CP's performance today v. BM?

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch the game but saw he didn't come in till the 80th when they were already winning 3-2.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    There's a CP at BVB thread for that, but he didn't really do anything - got 10 mins while BVB hung on by the seat of their pants. A couple clearances and a nice tackle was about all he did.

12. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    He had a phenomenal moment when he was isolated on the back post against none other than Javier Martinez and Lewandowski facing a beautiful floated cross from Robben, with both Bayern players crashing in and Pulisic won out in a physical mid air challenge from Lewandowski. It ends up hitting the side of his head falling weekly in the top of the box. Sequence starts at 87:37, bonus: watch useless Durm fall over his own feet. Kids a big game player, that is absolutely a goal any day of the week, as Burki is stranded mid goal.

Second Bonus:

Tuchel bought him in to help ice the game. An 18 year old offensive player bought in against a top 5 team hunting for a goal. That is some faith right there.

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I guess I missed that one.

RE: the bonus - yeah, great that Tuchel trusts him like that.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Seems to be a bit over the top of a response. Moved here as really about his national team career.

It's not about being a fanboy, but a fundamental view that our younger players should be moved along as quick as possible, but playing with their age group should usually be the priority. I was of the opinion that Brooks and Yedlin should have and could have helped us qualify for the Olympics. He obviously helps our senior team. I too think he's probably our best player and think it is about 14 months away of being obvious that he is our best player ever by large margin. As I said before, I don't think he is needed in these games and am not concerned about qualifying.

You didn't quite get these two statements right. Change "him" and "he" in that sentence to "our u20 players" and "they". Helps the u20 team a lot more than he changes the results in qualifying.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hasn't that step already happened? We got points in the last Hex and won a friendly there. It's not throwing in the towel, it's leaving one player to play with age group in a WC. We can replace CP10 with Wood and push Altidore and Dempsey a little deeper. Jones/Acosta/Hyndman could play the role that Lletget played. That team sounds better than this group that drew down there 4 years ago.

March 26, 2013
    vs. Mexico

@ Mexico City, Mexico: 0-0 T
    Guzan
    Cameron
    Gonzalez
    Besler
    Beasley
    Bradley
    Edu
    Zusi (Shea, 82)
    Dempsey (c)
    Gomez (Davis, 71)
    Altidore (E. Johnson, 55)

I don't care about messages and what others around the world think. Going far in the tournament would likely be good for all the players careers. Similar players to Pulisic like akale and Perez are going to very motivated perform and teams will be punished if they focus too much on Pulisic. Zelalem will have more options to pass to.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the Friendly does not matter. It's also not the first time we got a point in Azteca. 1997 was the year. in a qualifier. the last time was also during a historically bad hex for Mexico. It doesn't really count as being able to get a point in Azteca until we can do it more frequently than every 15-20 years and I believe that sending less than our best team to a qualifying tournament reinforces the attitude that we can't do it.

Pulisic is playing with the big boys now. He understands that the coaches will do what is best for the US. I do hope that they don't try to play him in both. That would be a crazy thing for the US to do on many levels.

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see Pulisic taking it as anything other than an insult. He has nothing to prove at the U-20 level.

Bajoro repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No. Never an insult to be wanted. A lot of players have wanted to get a championship with their old teammates. Messi for U20, Neymar for Olympics.

19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi didn't make the senior team until just after he won the U-20 World Cup, so he wasn't returning to his old teammates per se. He even started that tournament on the bench (a game that USA won 1-0). I suppose he could have skipped the 2008 Olympics though.

20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss something? We haven't assured ourselves of qualification yet, right? Then why on earth would we not have out best player on the field? Because, surely nobody is questioning that anymore.... Right?

russ, deuteronomy, Bajoro and 3 others repped this.
  21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christian Pulisic firsts . . .

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...christian-pulisic-did-faster-than-anyone-else

YOUNGEST U.S. PLAYER TO APPEAR IN A WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH

YOUNGEST NON-GERMAN TO SCORE IN THE BUNDESLIGA AND SCORE TWO GOALS IN THE BUNDESLIGA

YOUNGEST PLAYER TO SCORE FOR THE U.S. MNT

YOUNGEST U.S. PLAYER TO SCORE & RECORD A BRACE IN WCQ

YOUNGEST U.S. MNT PLAYER TO START A WORLD CUP QUALIFIER

YOUNGEST U.S. MNT PLAYER TO APPEAR AND ASSIST IN UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

YOUNGEST U.S. MNT PLAYER TO SCORE IN UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

FIRST GERMAN-BASED MNT PLAYER TO SCORE IN LEAGUE, CUP AND UCL IN SAME SEASON

Read the article for details of each of these accomplishments.

COMtnGuy, WrmBrnr, schlomo and 6 others repped this.
  22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won the penalty that secured them a Champions League spot today.

23. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Won the penalty thst secured them a trophy today.

The kid is special.

adi21 and Burr repped this.
  24. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the undisputed star of the match was Katarina Witt carrying in the trophy. She had the milks bouncing and swaying. The official is totally eye banging her right here.
    [​IMG]
    If there weren't people in the room, I probably could have cranked a couple out during the procession.
    [​IMG]
    She can carry my cup any time she wants to.

Oh yeah . . . um . . . Pulisic . . . yyyyeeaahh he was there, too . . . and uhhhh . . . did something important, like, in the 2nd half or somethinglikethat?

First year with the first team and it ends with a trophy. Good for you, kid. Cherish it and use it to drive you to win more trophies.

HartwickFan, adi21 and PhillyandBCEagles repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we should add a shot of Pulisic with the trophy, too. :p

[​IMG]