Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The only way he should leave Dortmund is if he develops to the point where he'd be an automatic starter for a Bayern, Juve, Barca type club. He could get there, but he isn't yet. Barring that scenario, the next club he plays for after Dortmund should be the Philadelphia Union, in about 12-15 years. Under no circumstances whatsoever should he play in the EPL, especially prior to about age 25.

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2977 Bajoro, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    I think Tab Ramos had skills you might call elite. If he were around today with the training options available to CP, he might have reached a higher level. Instead he played at NC State when he was CP's age.

Edited to add: @orcrist -- and at NC State, his coach was basically a lacrosse guy.

3. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Spain?

4. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    To add to what I wrote above--he's really in an ideal scenario right now. Dortmund might be the best club in the world at developing young talent (it's between them and Barcelona). He's getting tons of minutes but not so many that he can get complacent. Many of his teammates are in the same boat and he's at a club that has to develop its own talent because it can't compete with Bayern in a financial arms race (although they'll likely throw around some of the money they'll get for Dembele). He's playing in arguably the best league in the world, is socially and culturally comfortable, and just got a huge contract extension.

5. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos is, to me, the only competition for Donovan as greatest all time. Unfortunately he played most of his career before the game took off here. And like you say, if he was developing today his ceiling might have been very very high.
    He probably had the best touch of any Nat. Great vision and ability to stay on the ball.

Donovan's special characteristics were pace, pace on the ball, two way play, vision and the best passer we ever had.

CP, however, strikes me as potentially the best pure attacking talent. It's instant - the moment he's on the ball he is making a smooth, aggressive attacking move. (That's what I was thinking about with my comment.) The fact that he has great passing vision only opens more passing opportunities for him. He is not physically or technically more advanced that LD was, but CP seems to me to have the highest ceiling I've seen.

Let's just keep him the f**k away from Spurs

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He'll play next year in Dortmund because it makes sense.

7. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances he goes to a bigger club and gets the equal amount of minutes he's getting now at dortmund. Maybe i'm paranoid because i've seen too many young players move on to bigger clubs only to ride the pine or get loaned out to smaller clubs.

jackiesdad repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My question here is what is a bigger club than Dortmund? They seem to have an image here of being a small club but hey are consistently number two in Germany. I know there are bigger clubs but many of the English clubs tossed around here I wouldn't consider bigger. Maybe richer but that's not the same thing. I would consider upgrades for him to be Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Anywhere else is sideways or a downgrade based on development, league placement and Champions league prospects.

9. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    PSG, Athleti, and Juventus are all in the argument of being bigger. Chelsea, Man City are also but any of the big six in the EPL could vastly outspend Dortmund.

Selfishly I'd want him at Spurs or to stay at Dortmund for at least another year.

10. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you are a supporter of the dumpster fire that is Arsenal?

If he had to move, (rather he not), Spurs is far and away the best EPL destination.

Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, Chelsea, Man City etc. would be the absolute worst options at this point. Not ready.

11. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People have mentioned those and I think that's really optimistic.

12. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be a dumpster fire, but goddamit, it's MY dumpster fire!

My Arsenal fandom notwithstanding, the Bundesligia is a better league. And he is already playing for one of Euope's most attractive teams. I see no reason to move.

sXeWesley repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just mentioned them because I already think he's in a great spot with no need to move especially in the next few years. I could understand if he got a big money offer from those three clearly better clubs (although not sure his development would be better) but really don't understand other clubs that over the last few and over the next few years aren't clearly better than where he already is.

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All anyone needs to know about Arsenal fans is covered in this movie (or the book):

sXeWesley repped this.
  15. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know, and that's why I think he's better staying put at Dortmund for now.

16. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean it's optimistic to think he could end up with one of those teams soon, or at any point in his career?

17. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean now.

18. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see if he can become the best player on Dortmund over the next few years before we start thinking about a move.

mikeivan and CA23 repped this.
  19. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned earlier, the reason would be $$$$$$$.

I agree that he should not move, but if he did, the only one of those rumored, or imagined, that makes sense to me, having both money to spare and a similarity to Dortmund, room in the squad, a philosophy of playing youngsters and Champions League play would be Spurs.

(My fandom notwithstainding :whistling:)

adi21 repped this.
  20. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is that like a reboot of the Jimmy Fallon movie or something?

21. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a serious question? Can't tell if my Arsenal fandom is being trolled. But...

It's the first film version of the Nick Hornby memoir of being an Arsenal fan. Great book that any soccer fan should love:

https://www.amazon.com/Fever-Pitch-Nick-Hornby/dp/1573226882

Please ignore the hideous Red Sox version....

bungadiri and orcrist repped this.
  22. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Haha, no, it wasn't serious. I've actually never seen the film version of the original but loved the book. The Fallon movie...meh, whatever. It was by no means great but if they had called it something else and just kept it as a PG version of Celtic Pride it wouldn't have gotten as much hate

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Sox version had the fortune of being shot in conjunction with the 2004 Red Sox World Series win (and getting Fallon and Barrymore on the field for the post-game celebration).

24. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Das American - should be Der American. I know it's 6 months old but not everyone has seen it.
    Great kid and his Mom is pretty hot.

ebbro and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Bench the kid, hit the skids.