Chris Gbandi

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Chris was frequently mentioned as a possible USMNT player for the future. I know he got injured the last year in college, but shouldn't he be playing by now? And which MLS team picked him? I think he was picked first, just before Taylor Twellman in the super-draft.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    he was selected by the dallas burn.

if i remember they said he would be back around the end of the season, but i have no heard anything recently...

3. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

He was drafted by the Burn. I remember reading awhile ago that they decided to not play him this year and just start anew next season

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he was very good. I hope he recovers well and shows his stuff!

5. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    His return will help the Burn and MLS.

6. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I have heard he's the most talented college player since Reyna. I don't know if it's true -- I've never seen him play. In any case, if he's got anywhere near Reyna's talent it's a real shame that he may not get his first pro game until he's 24.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong...I usually am...but doesn't Chris still have some citizenship issues to work out?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gbandi was hurt in college and the Burn knew it but still drafted him with the first pick. He was supposed to be ready by the end of the season but is not. He should be ready for next year. I have never seen him play but talked to him at the Burn kickoff luncheon before the season and he is a soccer nut. He knows all the Euro teams and watches them all the time. I believe if he hadn't b lown out his knee he would be in Europe already. He probably does have citizenship issues but so did Mastroeni and others. If he is that good he won't have problems fo long.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern Soccer Nut he is

Just another Houston product in the MLS ranks, out of hish school he was offered full rides in both gridiron and association football to places like LSU and obviously UCONN.
    I think he would've played this year if possible, he's a guy that doesn't mind getting stuck in.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Is this the kid from Trinidad? If so, I thought he was tied to the soca warriors from some U-29 qualies?

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    no, that is not gbandi.

he was born in liberia, moved here at a very young age and now holds us citizenship...

and at the mls superdraft said the following...

"Dallas is a great franchise and I'm looking forward to playing there," Gbandi said. "My ultimate goal is to play for the United States in the World Cup someday, and this gives me the chance to play right away and show what I can do."

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    U-29 qualies?

nice typo by me

Then who was I thinking of? wasnt there a kid at UCONN when the won the title, who was from T&T that wanted to play for the US but there were issues about some tournaments or something he played in as a youth?

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i think that might have been their forward at the time...

darin lewis i think, he was originally born in t&t and played for uconn...he was the other guy who scored, along with gbandi's free kick, in the championship game when they won the ncaa's a few years back.

14. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name is Brent Rahim:
    http://endlesssoccer.tripod.com/usfootball/ncaa/profiles/brent_rahim.htm
    The T&T Internaional was playing in Bulgaria with Sofia Leviski. Now the link says he's with West Ham.
    http://www.socawarriors.net/brent_rahim.htm

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Gbandi can get stuck in but he also is unusually skilled for a defender.

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I have seen him play on TV three times.

Matrim55 has seen him play a number of times in person.

Hard to know what form he will return to with his injuries. But if he returns to a form much like he had BEFORE his injuries, let me say this:

This guy is the REAL deal. He will be an impact player in MLS and will, eventually, work his way into the national team pool.

Bank on it.