China bid for 2026 World Cup, stirs pot for 2022 Asian candidates

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by greenlion, Jul 17, 2010.

1. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China bid for 2026 World Cup, stirs pot for 2022 Asian candidates
    July 16, President of the CFA Wei Di, announced to the media that China is interested in bidding for the 2026 World Cup,he also said the Chinese Football Association will submit a bid proposal to the General Administration of Sport of China.
    Wei said he also hopes other Asian countries will not win the bid for the 2022 edition and "foil China's chances".,media suggest that China may support the United States as 2022 World Cup host country
    http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/...asian-bidders&catid=40:news&Itemid=53

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    China can support the USA bid for 2022 all they want, but they don't actually get a say in any of it anyway.

Come 2026, do you think they will get Asian backing if Asia doesn't host in 2022. I don't think so.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad China isn't better at football. To see the biggest country on earth of over a billion people get excited about a World Cup run would be fantastic indeed!

They've only had one appearance and lost all 3 games right?

What's worse is they got knocked out pretty early for WC 2010 qualifying!

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    but China oviously don't have the influence to affect FIFA dicision on world cup bids, if we have, we would get our CAF friends to vote USA for 2022. also USA and China have the same goal: USA to get the 2022 World Cup. :D the CFA just speak out their worry - if a Asian Country win the 2022 bid it'll be almost impossible for China to win the 2026 world cup host rights.

I think if the US or Australia wins the 2022 bids, which seems most likely will happen to me, Korea, Japan, Qatar wil join the 2026 bids for sure. there will be no "Asian Backing" and the AFC will be split, arab countries will support Qatar and other Asian Countries will have to make different choices

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The whole issue you are missing is that not every FIFA member country gets a vote. So there isn't an Asian split because there is currently only one Arab member on board. The rest are East Asian. After that, China have to get into the European mix.

If Asia don't get the 2022 world cup, then we can al agree to say that 2026 will probably be pencilled in for Asia, but by then, China could become overrun with many more bidding countries in the mix. India for example, and probably more joint bids.

But it's hard to talk about 2026 yet when we don't know ther 2018 and 22 outcomes and don't know the 2026 bidders. But China's chances will be harmed straight away if Asia get 2022. Which makes it hard to believe why they are making an announcment now. Couldn't they wait another 6 months?

6. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    things are clear, CFA just want to make it clear to FIFA that China want to host 2026 World Cup and let FIFA make their Choices for who will host 2022 :D

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2026? That's enough time for them to find a girl who can sing and is even pretty enough as well to perform at the opening ceremony without using a stunt-double. :p

Anyhoo - I think it's only a matter of time before China gets to host the world cup. They've done the Olympics so I guess the WC is next...

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So all FIFA need to do is bribe all Exec commitee to vote for USA to host 2022 and then they can give the Chinese the 2026 off the back of these bribes.

It's a good job the Chinese game has never had a scandle before!!!

9. Hermes

Hermes Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    Idiots should have bid in the 2022 WC. Why did they pull out?

too late for china for a while

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They didn't pull out. They never entered

11. Sardukar

Sardukar Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Sydney
    Chinese soccer chief Wei Di

"To be honest, I don't want an Asian country to win the bid for the 2022 World Cup as it would be impossible for Asia to host two World Cups in a row," he said.

"South Korea and Japan have already held the World Cup.

"Qatar is too hot and the population is small, how could there be enough spectators? Australia is also an Asian country in terms of soccer."

lol wut? so we are asian because we are part of the AFC but with regards to everything else we can go and get stuffed according to the chinese? nice attitude to have.

12. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    I think they just want to get rid of any bidding rivals, with 2022 looking to be competitive. Their announcement to bid for the 2026 cup early is probably to discourage other nations from making a bid, knowing the rising economic strength and how well they handled the Olympics.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It will be about another 8 years time before 2026 bidding war even gets started.

Can China really tell us they want a world cup in 2026? They have to keep this propaganda war going for at least 8 years!!!

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just imagine how old we'll all be by then!! :(

15. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China is the biggest country on earth and after they did a great job hosting the 2008 Olympics they will get World Cup.

It's just a matter of when.

16. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    http://www.the-afc.com/en/inside-afc/676-afc-news/29793-notes-from-afc-presidents-press-conference

Notes from AFC President’s press conference

Tuesday, 20 July 2010 16:53

Beijing: AFC President Mohamed Bin Hammam and Chinese Football Association (CFA) held a joint press conference with members of the Chinese media here on Tuesday.

On China’s reported bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and Wei Di’s purported statement in the press

MBH: We have four Asian countries bidding for the 2022 World Cup. Naturally if any one of these countries wins, then Asia will not be eligible to bid for the 2026 World Cup. I and AFC are supporting the chances of these four countries in 2022. We don’t want to jeopardise their chances.

Wei: Yes. We are considering (a bid for) 2026. We are in a position to host it and we are studying the feasibility. But I never said I don’t want other Asian countries not to win it in 2022.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    He didn't say that yesterday!

And why are China announcing all this stuff when they were expecting MBH to arrive this week anyway?

18. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Looks like this affair is becoming a diplomatic incident

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2010-07/21/content_20540694.htm

CFA chief scoffs at media reports

China Daily, July 21, 2010

Chinese soccer chief Wei Di on Tuesday rubbished reports about him not wishing to see an Asian country win the rights to host the 2022 World Cup.

"I never said that I did not want to see any of the Asian countries host the 2022 World Cup," Wei, head of Chinese Football Association (CFA), told China Daily.

"It (the report) comes from nowhere. Such reports damage China's image. Officials from the Australian embassy even called us and wanted us to explain."

Wei was commenting on a number of reports in the Chinese media, which claimed he said he did not want an Asian nation to succeed in their bid for 2022 World Cup.

There are four AFC members bidding for the 2022 World Cup: Japan, South Korea, Qatar and Australia. If any of those bids succeed, the event will go to another continent in 2026 and scuttle China's 2026 bid .

However, Wei, who was inspired by the all-around influence of the World Cup during his visit to South Africa, insisted China should start its preparations for the bid as soon as possible.

"After I came back home from the World Cup, I started to consider the bid," he said.

"I hope our government is aware of the nationwide interest. The earlier we start to prepare, the more likely it is we will succeed.

"I believe China has the capability as well as the facilities to host a successful World Cup.

"I know four Asian countries are bidding for the 2022 World Cup. But it does not mean China cannot bid for 2026. We can still bid for it, even if an Asian country hosts the 2022 event.

"It's not all about success and failure. It's more about participation."

19. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    by the way, I believe the CHinese Goverment has a carefully arrangend plan on bidding for big sports events, for example, when Beijing was bidding for 2000 Olympics, there is also another plan if Beijing failed to win the bid, Guangzhou will bid for 2008 Olympics, that's why they built the Aurora Stadium with 80,012 capacity in Guangzhou, but after Beijing's faliure they just changed their mind to give the Capital city another chance. the new plan is Guangzhou will bid for 2020 Olympics and if they failed to win, Nanjing will bid for 2024 Olympics.

the country is crazy about host big sports events, after the succes of Beijing 2008, more and more cities announced their own plain.

confirmed events:

Asian Games Guangzhou 2010
    Universiade Shenzhen 2011
    World Swimming Championships Shanghai 2011
    East Asian Games Tianjin 2013
    Youth Olympic Games Nanjing 2014

want to host:

FIFA World Cup 2026
    FIFA Youth World Cup 2015
    Olympic Games: Guangzhou 2020 & (probably) Nanjing 2024
    Asian Games: Hong Kong 2019 or 2023, Chengdu 2027 or 2031
    World Athletics Championships: Beijing 2015