Pre-match: Chicago Fire - DC United 16 Sept 2016

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DangSkippy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Evidently there's a game tonight and this thread isn't simply general disdain for Chicagoland.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** the Galaxy!!!

oh...wrong place?

james

Murr and song219 repped this.
  3. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I don't hate Chicago as a city. I don't care about Chicago as a city, save perhaps to pity the Cubs.

We need the points. NO MERCY. Don't know who on DCU is going to play defense, but either way, we need all 3 points.

4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hamid, Kemp, Birnbaum, Boswell, Mishu, Sarvas, Nyarko, Vincent, Acosta, Sam, Mullins

Interesting tha Vincent keeps Neagle and De Leon on the bench. I'm also not super thrilled about Mishu at right back. Seems like a perfect opportunity to put De Leon in that position.

BassNFool repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** LAFC.

Oveki8 repped this.
  7. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Well, that was interesting.... always wondered what happens when they do that.

8. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...ooof that's a soft goal.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Can we all agree that Luke Mishu is not an MLS quality defender. He was pathetically late coming out on Cocis for the first goal -- although that was a great corner, driven ball that only required a deflection -- but Cocis was unmarked. I keep hearing the announcers mention Mishu's name, but I never hear the words "buen jugador" immediately thereafter. The second goal is on Hamid -- so soft it had "Mr. Softee" written on it -- pretty much down the middle and he was pathetically late in reacting. This is what, his third game in a row, where he had surrendered at least 2 goals. Either he's still injured, or he's regressed horribly.

DCU still can come back. Chicago is awful, Johnson is a train wreck. There are more goals in this game -- the question is who gets them?

Murr and song219 repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Way to burn a sub for no tactical gain. Could have just started De Leon in the beginning and we'd still have 3 attacking subs we could start using ...

Marco10 and Oveki8 repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about that stadium. It looks like Hamid and Johnson have switched bodies.

12. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give him a ********ing card for being a pussy

13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Boswell salvages a point for United in stoppage time.

Winoman repped this.
  14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suppose I should wear my Boswell jersey at our next home game.

Winoman repped this.
  15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    ********, if this keeps up, my doctor will have to change my meds. A game they couldn't lose, but they didn't win.

Quick takeaways. I took 55 minutes for Ben to figure out what most of us already had, NDL should be at right back and Mishu should be the emergency sub after the last drunken fan in the Barra has been used.

Lloyd Sam should not start, he's a sub -- maybe. No defense, no real ideas on offense. Neagle is more direct, faster and quicker of thought, end of story.

Nyarko was poor again -- two games in a row. Easily dispossessed and held the ball far too long.

Hamid just isn't right -- must be carrying an injury.

Igbo will be on milk cartons soon.

Murr and Oveki8 repped this.
  16. flanier

flanier Member

Sep 1, 2001
    TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have got to find some better fullbacks this off season. Kemp can't defend, at all! He's always out of position and not fast enough to makeup for all his mistakes. He hasn't gotten any better at reading the game and anticipating, since arriving in MLS either. Korb isn't any better when he's healthy. Franklin can actually defend, but is pretty much useless when going forward. Mishu doesn't look all that promising, but it is too early to write him off. We've strengthened both the midfield and forward line this year, and the FBs are a glaring weakness.

17. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    If I made my wife wait that long before sticking it in we'd be divorced. Seriously, the Fire goal was spread wide open the last 20 minutes, just begging for it. Despite two goals, impotence is the only way to describe that offensive performance.

Those last 20-25 minutes were some weird professional soccer. It looked like the second half of an over 40 coaches league game. Players spread all over the field, no one could run, and no one on Chicago wanted to play defense.

Chicago's first goal was well earned - a well placed and well head near post corner. On the second, someday (was it Boswell?) got completely burned by a guy dribbling to his strong foot. Bad indiviudal defending and no team help.

Agree that Sam was poor.

And it was the second poor game in a row by Nyarko, although his great play most of the season warrants some patience.

Now it's nail biting time, with Orlando playing a weak Columbus team and Montreal and New England squaring off.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1 point.

Oveki8 repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Nicky came in for Mishu, but it wasn't clear to me that he was playing right back. I think we went three in the back most of the time after his entry.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless his throw in can lead to a tying goal.

But yes, we definitely should have started this game.
    He should start all games until Franklin in healthy.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be right, but I'm not sure he did anything wrong on either goal though.

Freestyle2000 repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC had their chances. They just couldn't finish them. I wonder what Carlos Ruiz is up to these days?

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Kemp, Vincent, and Nyarko by the end. With Kemp and Nyarko bombing forward.

24. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Some reflections just back from watching with BB

Thought it was Acosta's worst game of the season.

Agreed that Sam looked pedestrian and uncreative.

Mishu blows.

And nobody seems to have any spark. They played like they'd just flown in from Myanmar - exhausted from early on.

They are capable of so much more. The FO doesn't care, Olsen is in full Jeremiah Johnson mode. And they just tied a must win.

I love my team. Is it so much to expect live in return?

25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It was Birnbaum that was abused by Accam on the goal.