Cherundolo injury?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tomásbernal, Nov 14, 2009.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like Stevie might have torn something in his right(?) knee 10 seconds from the final whistle in the game against Slovakia today. I hope it's not as bad as it looked, because jeez, the last thing we need is another first-string defender out. I hope folks will update on this here.

2. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got hit with the ball. It's pretty hard to tear something by getting hit with the ball. Probably just a bone bruise at worse.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed that it's not a common way for a seasoned professional soccer player to tear a knee ligament or cartilage, but between the look of pain on his face and the fact that he hopped off the field sure makes it seem a lot worse than a ''bone bruise'', you have to admit.

4. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked pretty bad. At least that's a position where we can semi-afford to have an injury at with Spector and Hejduk there to step in.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I think (hope), he will be okay. He didn't look to be in THAT much pain.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory of the moment might be failing me here, but I seem to recall him flashing the Gooch ''Oh, shit, oh, shit something just went wrong'' knee injury face towards the bench when it happened. How long can we expect to wait before hearing any official word?

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They knew what was wrong with Gooch 15 minutes after the game against Costa Rica

8. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he hopped off without assistance. How many times to you see ACL tears do that?

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    FFS the instant it happens, having your foot stepped on hurts like hell and you have the same look on your face and limp around.

When you tear something there is a minute of pretty good pain that will leave you on the turf. You will be able to walk a minute or three later and the pain just about dissappears.

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Just saw it again. Looked to me like the attempted cross hit his foot while it was in the air and bent his leg in a strange way. It was on the far side and partially shielded, so not obvious, but that's what it looked like.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've done it twice in 16 months. Took a couple of minutes but you are able to get up and walk around (until the swelling kicks in).

12. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I had a friend who tore his ACL and he was walking around on it pretty normally for like 3 weeks before he got the surgery.

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I thought might have happened--you put your leg up to block a shot or cross and the ball hits the tip of your boot and twists the knee. It's happened to me quite a few times, but fortunately the ball was never hit hard enough to injure my knee badly. It sure is painful when it happens.

14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I don't think I've ever seen an acl tear that I knew about at the moment. But, even for all the pain, Stevie wanted to give his team a chance to score a tying goal and so got off the field as quickly as he could.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Trust me. You're only going to roll off the field right after the ACL tears. Walking won't happen for a couple of minutes.

16. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Didn't Chris Armas keep playing for like 15 minutes after he tore his in 2002?

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall for the 2002 tear against Uruguay...but the 2000 tear against Barbados, yes, he played for a couple more minutes and walked off.

(Sad that we have to refer to Chris doing his knee by the year it happened...)

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gattuso played 60 or 70 mins with his torn last year.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not doubting it. After a minute or two, your knee feels halfway decent to fine, depending on what shape your muscles that support your knee are in.

Six weeks ago when I did mine again, I felt like I could finish out the match a few minutes later, but I don't get paid lots of money to do so and my surgeon plays on my over-30 team and didn't want me creating more work for him :).

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He had to come off right after the Uruguay tear.

21. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    It depends on the tear. After a straight ACL rupture hobbling around is possible. But it's often accompanied with strains/sprains/tears of the MCL and/or meniscus damage. So it really depends on the swelling, and injury of each case.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Miyagi rubbed his knee for him. He finished like this:
    [​IMG]

23. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to mention this as well. I am not sure how long he played, but he definitely walked off the field.

Also, Frankie Hejduk tore his ACL in April of 2006 and finished the game.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/famousinjuries/p/hejduk.htm

Hejduk was injured on 4/29/2006 in a game between his Columbus Crew against Kansas City. Hejduk injured his anterior cruciate ligament, an important ligament that helps to stabilize the knee. Hejduk was able to complete the game, but persistent problems led to a MRI, and a subsequent diagnosis of an ACL tear.

24. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    Not that uncommon for an athlete to be able to do it, but the trainers usually want to keep them from doing it.

When the leg muscles are engaged, the ACL does nothing--you would never no it was gone/detached. It is when the leg is momentarily relaxed that it keeps the upper and lower legs 'hinging' properly. The surgeon who repaired mine said that it was not uncommon for NFL linemen to blow out an ACL and then play again fairly soon as their legs have so much muscle mass that even relaxed it keeps the knee hinging properly.

Back to Dolo-- it appeared to be his left leg which he had suspended and extended (right leg planted and bearing weight) to block the cross which was the hurt leg. Hoping it was only a strained MCL and doesn't require surgery.

I felt he was the man of the match--defended and attacked extremely well.

25. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has their been any confirmation that it was a tear of any kind because everyone on this thread seems to be assuming - based on his reaction - it was. I've seen players get cramps that make them grimace like Dolo did.

I would think it's a tweak at this point, not a tear.