Chelsea vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Sept 22 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 18, 2019.

1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    People. Nothing has really changed!

Before, there was a bit of a gray area where sometimes you might get away with being a couple of feet offside or get penalized when actually a couple of feet onside. Now they are just accurately called. I doubt there is any significant change to the actual number of offside calls.

Samarkand and el-capitano repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's funny in a way. Seeing there is more energy spent in print and voiced about 2mm, than there ever was about 2 yards.

SamScouse repped this.
  3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There was an instance Sunday when during a Chav attack. I and one of the comms called "that's offside." The flag stayed down and the ball went out for a corner. That turned into a close over-the-bar header.

How T F is that a good thing.

What has to change is not the ref or the fat guy eating his meat pie lunch in front of a TV screen 200 miles away.
    We need a fair redo of the offside law.

image.jpg

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it's been fiddled with more times than any rule in the game, but right now, with the VAR nonsense, leaving it as is would make the game a joke.

VAR says it will intercede only for "clear and obvious errors" except for offside calls - so ... just apply those 4 words to offside decisions.

5. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Back from giving my youngest daughter (and a fair amount of money) away in NY this weekend. Thanks for the comms, sounded like another example of our being able to win in multiple ways, sometimes brilliant football sometimes grinding tenacious hanging on for the points. This sounded like both in the same game. Onward. Met up with a Leeds supporter transplanted from London. Ordinarily I put Chelsea and Leeds together as the lowest class supporters around but this guy was different. Plus you can always find common ground sh*tting on the scum.

newterp and usscouse repped this.
  6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Congrats bayred- I get to do that this coming March...:thumbsup:

7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That is a valid comment (if you think this is an issue).

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The thing with offside is it is a provable physical fact. There is almost zero subjectivity. So a clear and obvious error actually is very clear and very obvious. Other types of decision often very much not so.

Samarkand repped this.
  9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Course I do or I wouldn't have said it. You want me to tell you why we have 3 hot threads going on VAR right now. Or didn't you notice.
    You may be happy with it. But you and hobo are not the only ones that watch these games.

Take it out of the hands of V ********ing AR.
    Don't you tell me that var can tell when two players cross on the run. A defender coming out and an attacker running in and a guy hitting a first time pass forward. That some one in a booth,,, somewhere with the equipment has can't do better than 2mm. His camera isn't fast enough and people are always going to be pissed. Take var out of the equation
    With a clean law.

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think both the Mount and the Sterling calls are bloody terrible .....

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I could see Hobo going for that! Maybe also a little Novartis or Pepsi sponsorship on the bits of tape not being overused.... ;)

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    An offside call being wrong by several yards is due to a linesman not paying attention. he can only realistically get it wrong by a couple of feet if he's watching.
    Institute a VAR for linesmen - if they are wrong by more than 2 feet they don;t get paid.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The number doesn;t really matter. Some matches have lots, some have few. The only thing that matters is how they are called. And how sickened the spectator had to be from watching. (Or deluded) into thinking he is enjoying the fiasco he's seeing ....

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can see no technical reason why VAR offside calls can't be accurate to a matter of several mm. That being said, if it's really a matter of 1mm and "too close to call" then the attacker is level. Don't call it offside, no issue, no problem.

15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How can making more accurate calls possibly be a fiasco? :rolleyes:

Samarkand and el-capitano repped this.
  16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I respectfully note you have been doing your fair share. :)

I am just gobsmacked that so many are whining about having offside calls that are, beyond any reasonable doubt, easily obtainable and significantly more accurate.

Samarkand repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what ppl are bitching about is calls that are invisible to the naked eye, and therefore convey either zero or completely-negligible advantage to anyone.

and what's this -- it appears you tend to agree .... ?

LMFAO after all this crap, you're now saying “OK, 1mm offside doesn’t matter” but “2mm offside has to be called” …. essentially "a little bit offside doesn't matter" ??? I give up. you're now stepping into WUM territory.

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Before VAR, were there any offside calls that gave "either zero or completely-negligible advantage" but were technically correct?

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "1mm" is an arbitrary number. I was just acknowledging there is a (very small) finite number at which point VAR assisted review will not be able to differentiate between on/offside. Maybe that limit is 1mm, maybe it's 2mm, maybe it's some other number. But there is a limit.

I am not saying it doesn't matter. I am saying if you can't tell the difference, it is level. Previously the limitation was the ability of the linesman (maybe +/- 6 inches or a foot for a really good linesman). Now its the ability of VAR (which is much, much more accurate).

In addition, VAR has the benefit of completely eliminating the really bad calls that linesmen sometimes made.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sam, please answer this one question:

Prior to VAR, when a player was correctly called for being six inches offside but not gaining any discernible advantage, was this a problem for you?