Chelsea vs Everton

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Very solid today. Not sure if it's due to Everton playing mid week or us being that much better. Happy to see Morata get on the board.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Honestly, outside of the final 15 minutes, Everton were just awful. Think it had more to do with them playing Thursday. We'll see though. 2-0 is actually flattering to Everton with how we played. Could have been another 5-0 drubbing.

Willian was the standout performer for me. He's been really good so far.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All right boys, I have a 100% record so far

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ninjatend0, Kazuma, Yahtzee and 6 others repped this.
  4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  5. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looked like a training match tbh. So comfortable throughout. Great result going into the international break. Hopefully we come back with a few new faces and no injuries

Blueallthru repped this.
  6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very solid 3 points and another goal and assist effort from the big centre forward, happy with what I've seen so far. Excited for when hazard comes back.

Willian looks lively this season, helps him to get consistent minutes and still one of the better players in the squad.

Dave was a bit iffy at times though and his loose ball gave them an undeserved chance that would have changed the last half hour. If that was Luiz he'd have been pilloried for it, goes to show they are all human out there.

Still think we have to try and push for a quality RB, just not enough end product from Moses, would be our biggest upgrade.

Fab was fab. Bats is already looking desperate for a goal, not a good sign and hopefully will be more relaxed during future appearances.

Otherwise, bar the first 45 mins of the season, pretty good and only one team really looks quality after just 3 games. Cracks everywhere else.

Rman3349, Wrath and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Everton were dire and we were in low gear the whole game. Antonio wanted more in the 2nd half, but I think we just wanted to secure the 3 points.

Willian, at 29, is really fun to watch. His change of pace and movement with the ball opens up opportunites that make the difference between us and teams like Everton. We should enjoy him while he's still around.

Morata, good. Nice goal and assist from him.

Rudiger, a quietly good game. Very unsung as a signing, but he's a top, top defensive player.

Pedro was lively as well. Everyone was generally good.

I'm glad this wasn't the match I decided to fly to London for and get a hospitality package. Christ, Everton were embarrassing. Sandro? Everton are going nowhere with him.

8. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Just finished the recording. Solid, boring game. I was really nervous about these two games, but getting wins in both and hopefully some reinforcements by the end of the break has me optimistic.

truefan420 repped this.
  9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Extremely solid game. Limited Everton to almost nothing. Pedro was poor, which is why I think we can use another wide player. If Draxler is available, why not?

Also, agree with @Kerry Dixon's Boots - Moses can use an upgrade. I recognize we're probably looking more at LBs because we have no real backups for Alonso, but Moses's end product remains frustrating.

10. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seems to have a new lease on life. 12 goals last season and looks to be in contention to do that again. Far more incisive in the attacking third and not simply acting as that "guy who runs around a lot" as he was under Jose. Used to be a very frustrating player for me but thats definitely changed.

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I don't know why, but this is the one most frustrating to hear. If he's really available and at the price he's available, what's the hang up?

12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    the one turn in the middle of the pitch willian had where he was running sideways in to traffic then just decided to turn the pace and go vertical was what willian brings to the table. he still takes a little too much time when he finds himself on the wing or on the edge of a stacked box but when he's driving forward with the ball at his feet, he's really good. he's got a deceptively quick and powerful shot too. seems mental when he's inconsistent. i think a year under conte and his drive to always stay focused has done willian a lot of good.

Ruidger is a great pickup. i really like his skillset and athleticism.

Morata i think just needs to get to where he is mentally reacting faster. he's not used to this league and the lack of time you have to make decisions. though to be fair he was getting pushed right as he was receiving the ball several times that weren't called but are part of this league he has to adapt to. once he can get his mind turned on to needing to react faster, and the players around him understand his movements and preferences more, it will help a lot. he clearly has the skillset to be a top player, and takes chances well when they come.

Bakayoko was excellent last week and was good again when he came on. he's a bit more dynamic than what i gave him credit for at Monaco. or at least seems to have it in his locker. his athleticism is unreal. i don't like who we sold Matic too, but at face value, Matic for Bakayoko will have a long term payoff for chelsea.

i also like that so far conte has trusted Fabregas as part of a two man midfield. i think most of us have thought that's not an option, or it needs to be a home game against a team where we are going to dictate. that's what this game turned out to be, but i don't think it was quite designed that way. but it looks like fabregas is as fit as i've ever seen him and like willian, a year under conte has done him good in understanding of his defensive duties and covering space better.

my only complaint is how do we get christensen more time, because he's got a great future. but Dave, Luiz and Rudiger look to be a really strong back 3. that being said, we have 7 games in september, so we'll have to rotate.

hope we pick up Ox. he could be really good on our right side. he CAN cross a ball. he lacks a little bit of intelligence out there as shown with arsenal, but i don't think wenger is doing him any favors with how he sets up that system and wants his wingback to play, i think conte has a much better grasp on how to teach that position to someone.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll tell yer one thing that occurred to me, (and Nic will agree with this I believe)... you can see why Conte let JT go. It was obvious he was NEVER going to see the pitch with all the quality we've got back there now.

I mean, he didn't really play last year but this year there was NO chance of him making an appearance.

It's a shame in some ways but, as I always say, I supported CFC for many years before fellas like JT arrived and I'll be supporting them for many years afterwards, (hopefully! :eek: :D :().

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    it had to happen at some point, and it finally did. there's not much else to it. that doesn't mean that we can't all be incredibly grateful for everything he's done. most thought it would happen before he played every minute of the title winning 2015 year. what's more heartening is the fact that as worried as we all were when he would finally not be available and how we would ever replace him, that we seem to have transitioned well and have a good mix of skills and ages in the backline. for the longest time no one knew how that would pan out.

Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.