PBP: Chelsea v. Southampton

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 4, 2019.

1. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    “Do better” isn’t actionable. That’s not coaching. I’m not really picking at Frank. I’m POSITIVE he’s giving Pulisic direct coaching on specific areas of skill or performance. It’s just a dumb article.

2. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Wow. Is this how it’s going to be all season?

Brock Hannsen repped this.
  3. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lol.

yes

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I sure as hell hope not.

Needs to get up off his arse and say....''Hey gaff, I'm here and I'm ready to play, put me in for ******** sake"....oh, wait a second, I see...you missed the point by such a wide margin I'm surprised your post found the right forum.

Jesus wept...you're in the dictionary as the poster child for a Pulisic apologist, aren't you?

5. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    No, not apologist, but will except the tag as defender. The vast majority of these ridiculous back-and-forths over Pulisic are started by posters preemptively take pot shots at Pulisic or his so-called fanboys or “apologists.”

Your “point” seems to be some completely fabricated fantasy where Pulisic isn’t trying hard enough or sticking up for himself? Should he also show some more moxie or gumption? If only he’d roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty. If he really wanted up to play, he’d just march right into the gaffers office and say, “By crikey, I’m your guy, skipper.”

Kids these days.

Yahtzee repped this.
  6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    :D

I will end by saying you have quite obviously not watched English football for many years.

(That is not an insult)

JimWharton repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We don't like Moxie or Gumption. Actually, thinking about it, we don't like ANY of Leeds United's back four from the mid 70's. :eek:

:giggle:

Nah, there used to be a thing back in the day where players would 'warm up' without being told... essentially just running up and down in front of the manager, presumably in an effort to show they are ready and willing. It always struck me as a bit daft, tbh.

Nowadays the lads tend to follow the advice of the coaching staff and manager, I assume not to get over-heated and/or pull something so they can't then be brought on. So you don't really see it unless the managers told them to do it to put the wind up the guy's on the pitch :D

JimWharton repped this.
  8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1034386388916072448 is not a valid tweet id

lobomojo and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never said I was original...

lobomojo repped this.
  10. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    As a neutral observer, not a Chelsea supporter,, I have to say that Lampard has done a good job so far. He's now a manager of the one of the highest profile football teams in the world, with high pressure expectations, taking over from a team that has lost its superstar and its successful previous manager, a squad with a lot of very young players and returning injured players, and the squad is gelling, improving and competing effectively in the EPL already. They looked poised to do ok in the Champions League, too, if not a deep run. Even with shaky and injured CBs, the defense has done just well enough (it doesn't hurt to have the world's greated DM, though). Plus, every single player on the squad has been given an opportunity to contribute. And he's easily dealt with minor, media-generated controversies like Pulisic's playing time situation with no problem. Lampard appears to the be the right man at the right time for Chelsea.

11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I juste realised of course that you-know-who and Batsman did really well together at Dortmund.

This young team has some top class spirit. It really does. It is a lot of fun to watch us play this season, despite the mistakes and the fluffed chances, we are seeing lads that are really enjoying playing football.

Great to see Jorghino as our new vice captain as well and Kante . . . .Kante a delight.

12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Of course, BUT "get out there and fcucking do better" is. :D

Clan repped this.
  13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Does anyone not think this?

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I hate NBC Gold.

lobomojo repped this.
  15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    planet stream on twitter

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #166 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Yes, as a neutral the comments are good, as Chelsea fans WE know a little bit more about our situation. As Chelsea fans we are really looking forward to watching us play right? I mean we might be 2 up in the first 20 minutes or two down. It really is exciting to watch us right now. I look forward to every game in a way in which I haven't done in years. When Roman first took over it was a bit like that. All these good players where-HOW are they all going to play? As for the player "who shall not be named", I think, quite sensibly Frank is holding him back, the season is long and you don't have to put everything out there straight away. We kind of did that against United in our first game and it really did back fire on us. Hold back. Keep some cards up your sleeve. I remember Zola arriving in January and ending up as the POY.

Peace.

ps - don't tell anybody in the fan boy thread, our Chelsea secrets :D

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    man, tons of missed chances, still scoring quite a bit = this style lampard is putting in creates chances by the bucket load. sometimes at some expense at the back, but wow. clinical finishing could see some high scoring games.

it's weird that at times we look like we don't have much creativity, but still somehow you could make a highlight reel of the goals that should have been converted this season.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Take a good look at bats goal again.

Lad didn't have the angle to knock it between the keepers legs on his right foot, so he took the pass from Pulisic on his right, quick stepped a pass to his left foot which did have the angle....goal! All in the blink of an eye.

Now, there have been moans and groans about Giroud not playing, and rightly so I suppose, he is still a threat and a different player than tammy at the moment, but surely it's worth giving/edging Bats as a reliever to Tammy, if not on skill, just on the fact that Giroud will be gone in the Summer, bats won't.

Would like to see Lampard get on board with this notion and dish him more time...he did win us out last league title after all..:D

Naughtius Maximus, Wrath and lobomojo repped this.
  20. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think that's exactly what we're seeing. Bats has spelled Tammy almost every time hasn't he? and started cup games. Giroud only started the super cup and i believe lamps said specifically it was his right as he got them in the game. but since then it's been all Tammy and Bats. though i've also heard Giroud has been sick for the quick spell of games where we had like 4 in 11 days or something.

but yea, i agree. though Giround can be incredibly effective in the right circumstances and has always been such a professional, at the end of the day, we need to invest in Tammy and Bats to know what we have for sure.

Kerry Dixon's Boots and Blueallthru repped this.
  21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Giroud also strikes me as being able to come in less frequently and still be effective whereas a player like bats needs more regular minutes.

Having a physical option like giroud for certain matches (to start or sub) is a huge plus and given his level of professionalism is less likely to scale back his effort off the pitch. Happy to have all 3 and you'd rather have 3 positive options than 3 duds.

What we are starting to see is really the best case scenario. Tammy scoring, bats chipping in off the bench and giroud always a possibility at short notice.

Blueallthru repped this.