PBP: Chelsea v. Southampton

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea v. Southampton
    Sunday, October 6, 2019
    9AM, St. Mary's Stadium
    TV: NBC Sports Gold, bitches. Fire up those streams.

Last match before another dreadful international break.

Chelsea's (7th place) form in the league is WLWDW so we're due for either a draw or loss.
    Soton (14th place) is LWLWD so they're due to win - seems about right.

Up the youth! And Pedro!

2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #2 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Antonio Rudiger, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Emerson Palmieri remain sidelined.

Callum Hudson-Odoi, Andreas Christensen and Mateo Kovacic are pushing for starts, while a number of players could be in line for a rest following three games in eight days.

Maybe something like. . .

Kepa;
    Azpilicueta, Christensen, Tomori, Alonso;
    Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic;
    Willian, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi

With you-know-who getting some time?

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Free Pulisic!

And win.

JimWharton and Yahtzee repped this.
  4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Saw an interesting stat on one of those pre game channels.
    Mount has scored 11 goals and has 3 assists in 40 games for Lampard.

Not bad for a young player learning his trade and certainly why Lampard trusts him.If the manager trusts you, you play.

Anyone remember the Dell?
    Flippin tiny ground, great atmosphere, and would pack us in like sardines.If it was windy and wet (always semeed that way to me) it was a miserable expierence though.Totally different to our gaff at the time, you could reach over the boarding and hug a player when they scored.

Shit firm though :)

Anyway...

This would seem the typical game a manager picks Willian for.Noooooooooo, scream the masses.
    But, alas, Willian has an engine like Kante when he wants and will track back all day long and twice on Sunday.Exactly what is needed when playing away to a Southampton.

Which, of course, leads to what every Pulisic apologist groans about.Willian is shit, why is he ahead of him..well, in a nut shell, thats why.

International break coming up...picking Cho to start on the left of Tammy up front, he can rest over the call up.

Pulisic to make the bench, he has to get game time somewhere to prove to Lampard that he is taking on board whatever reasons hes been given for not playing.

Gacm32, Wrath and StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  5. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can grudgingly accept Willian over Puli given his current form.

I'd better not get a whiff of Pedro though...

Yahtzee repped this.
  6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Pedro will spell Willian if we are losing and looking for a result.

Actually, he'll spell him anyway, just earlier if we;re losing.

Just don't get the Pedro hate on here, class player.

Wrath and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The problem with Pedro is he drifts in and out matches too frequently. He can however score a worldly from time to time which is nice and all.

Gacm32 and Rman3349 repped this.
  8. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Maybe its because I feel like Tammy has been such a pleasant surprise, and is destined to return from the clouds at some point. In that case, we need players who can make things happen in the other two attacking spots. Willian is that when in form but when he's not he's a wasteful headless chicken.

Pedro brings out the odd moment of brilliance from nowhere, but cannot be consistently relied on the shoulder the attack, especially at his age. Just don't see much upside in playing him other than hoping for lightning to strike

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i don't think anyone really actually hates pedro around here, or underestimates what he's done during his career. he's just had some appearances this season that don't make a ton of sense in the context of other decisions Lampard has made with this squad, and hasn't really been on great form.

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I always loved hearing these stories. The game's changed so much, even more so since the early 00s when I started watching.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Form..ahh, the litmus test of a footballer, if you will.
    If you're in form, you're in the team.Giroud is hating that word "form" right now.

Also,there is the horses for courses footballer though.This game, is a classic in that sense for what young Pulisic can learn and what he needs to do to displace one of his rivals.
    In my opinion, ever so humble as it may be...:)...is that Willian would get a nod over Pulisic regardless of form in this one.
    Southampton like a fast game too, like to keep it down and pass smartly with multiple and fast movement off the ball.Runners have to be tracked and Willian is like a damn blood hound in that regard.

The advertisement for the game would read "ball watchers need not apply"...This is the young yanks major problem so far, as well as giving away the ball too cheaply and getting bullied off it frequently.

(now, watch Lampard not start him)

Rman3349 and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Now, Arsenal just spent 73m pounds on Pepe (24yo), which is about 15-20 more than we spent on Pulisic. Arsenal have started him every game but the first (due to injury), I believe. He's not been lighting it up or doing much of note. Fans/media calling him a "dud" already.

People need to chill.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m sure we’ll see a similar lineup to what we saw midweek.

I am, as ever, desperate to see what Pulisic is made of.. though now Lampard has created a scenario where if he doesn’t step in and score a hattrick then it’s “see, he can’t hack it.”

Let’s see how things play out.

MOST importantly, we’re on a good run of form. Let’s keep it up. Even if we never get to see Captain America we keep winning, really can’t complain.

As far as any Willian/Pedro “hate”.. the two have been Jekyll and Hide for me. Continually important yet consistently, somehow, disappointing. Willian more so than Pedro. It has felt like we could do better for 3 years now. With Hazard in the team the wish was always that we had someone as deadly on the opposite flank (OK maybe not asssss deadly). Been genuinely hoping to see at least one phased out completely by this point.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s interesting watching some of the English overly blast Pulisic in a similar manner to the way that some of the Americans are overreacting to his lack of playing time early.

15. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree. Pedro is underappreciated throughout his career. First Barca, then us. Messi even said how much of an impact he had after he left.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d double down. I’d even say of the two I’d rather keep Pedro over Willian. Both are inconsistent at this point in their careers. I think Willian is the more talented but Pedro will accept his role and be a good presence better while still providing value on the pitch.

Wrath repped this.
  17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I remember 16000 and it was packed! Like a lot if the old stadiums there was something about the place I liked though.

18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lobomojo repped this.
  19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    lobomojo and StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Certainly when it comes to being a total "team" player, Willian may (or not) have an edge over Pedro, but when it comes to sheer technical ability, I pass.

I do not believe Willian will be here next season, I do believe Pedro will.

21. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Football is a passing game. True, true.

Maybe. I think Frank would like to keep around some of our more experienced players. You cannot make too many changes all at once. I think Frank would be more inclined to keep Willian and release Pedro. Time will tell.

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    St Mary's has been a happy hunting ground for us in the past and want to see us maintain that good record.

Would settle for a repeat of last years 3-0. I ain't greedy.

23. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    This is just nonsense. What does that even mean? “Do better in training” is not substantive advice. If that’s all that Frank’s telling him, I don’t blame him for being frustrated.

Choosing Willian or Pedro is no safer than giving Pulisic a run. Both are about an even bet to excel or disappear.

24. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I think that it means take your finger out.

He must have done something as at least he is on the bench today

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  25. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Team:

Chelsea Kepa; Azpilicueta (c), Tomori, Zouma, Alonso, Kante, Jorginho, Mount., Willian, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi.

Substitutes Caballero, Christensen, James, Kovacic, Barkley, Pulisic, Batshuayi.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.