Chelsea Pre-Season 2019/20 (the all-in thread)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't know. 1. Az takes what his manager tells him and does it. 2. I remember him up and down the flanks pumping crosses in quite often over the past few seasons. He's the reason Morata had any goals for us. I think Az can attack with the best of them in terms of runs, making space, crossing, taking on players, clever passes, etc. If you mean straight up goals, I don't know. I love goals from outside backs, but I think Frank loves the security of having him back there. James has done nothing yet at a top level, so it would take something drastic for him to supplant Az. He's still so young and talented, learning from the best.

Some fun stats:

Ashley Cole 7 goals in 338 apps
    Alonso 18 goals in 120
    Ivanovic 34 goals in 377 apps
    Az 9 goals in 337 apps

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mean goals. His crosses have been sub par and his assists to Morata were as a RCB from a deeper position not out wide. He’s starting slow down. I suspect he will remain the starter but he rotated a little more this year and then next year the shift will really begin.

Blueallthru repped this.
  3. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    O
    Oh yeah, it's a great time to introduce a talent like James into the fold. A lot of clubs would like to have him on the books.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. It’s gonna be an interesting year for Chelsea. A lot of youth and a lot of chances this year. I can’t wait for Saturday. I’m hoping for big showings from the kids.

5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Some final pre-season table predictions:

1. Manchester City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Tottenham
    4. Arsenal
    5. Manchester United
    6. Wolves
    7. Chelsea
    8. Leicester City
    9. Everton
    10. West Ham
    11. Crystal Palace
    12. Watford
    13. Bournemouth
    14. Burnley
    15. Southampton
    16. Aston Villa
    17. Norwich City
    18. Newcastle United
    19. Brighton and Hove Albion
    20. Sheffield United

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like wolves but they’ll struggle with Europe and a lack of depth this year.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Third or fifth season in a row where I'm wondering what planet I live on where Spurs, United and Arsenal are suddenly so much better than us

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They're spending money, we really aren't. Not entirely sure though how Yanited, or Arsenal are better though. Arsenal for all the talent they're bringing in going forward have done virtually nothing to address the issues at the back. What are they going to play 0-2-8? Very similar to Liverpool before Van Dijk. Spurs I will agree with you on and that's just with the addition of N'Dombele. He's that good and Pooch is that good that they can be a real threat.

We need need to improve the top talent at the club though ASAP. No more Zappacosta's and Drinkwaters. We have to make meaningful purchases and actually upgrade the squad.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Has Pooch ever actually won anything, heck with a big lead he did not even hold us off with our end of year free-fall..:confused::rolleyes:o_O sooo overrated

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Say what you want but he got a side with little to no signings to a CL final. They are bettered positioned than us. Sure he hasn't won anything, but that doesn't make him overrated.

truefan420 and Wrath repped this.
  11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I rate Poch and he's really done wonders with the tight purse strings. It is also true, though not entirely a fair summary, to say he hasn't won anything. With the backing he is now finally getting and with the new stadium the pressure is on to win something and soon.

If he doesn't he will still have the pick of jobs of better funded clubs but I tip my hat to his keeping them in the top 4 and winning big ties in the biggest club competition.

At the end of the day I ask myself would I be upset if ended up here and the clear answer for me is no, I'd be very happy.

truefan420 and Blueallthru repped this.
  12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #162 lobomojo, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    What signings did they desperately need to make, they had Kane, Erickson, Son, Alli, Moura, lamala two deep of quality defenders, a quality GK, and decent physical midfielders and they still finished the League behind a free falling us and barely held 4th. Lots of Clubs make a special, not quite Cup run, now and again, but he did not win.

"As you say if "they are better positioned than us" yet finished behind us, than perhaps that goes to coaching. Not saying he is rubbish, just that he is not that extra special cut above, and would have been fired here and at many a top Club long ago and/or been ravaged by the press. Like Wenger til they turned on him, he is an overrated press darling, but at least Wenger won some big Silver.

Hate to be contrary KDB, well not really:D, but I would not want him at Chelsea, good and yes he will get other jobs, but just not quite good enough to be among the top boys and even with no signings last summer, they have been loaded with talent the last few seasons

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Spurs finished 4th on auto-pilot, made the CL final and have brought in one of the top CMe on the market. Why wouldn’t they be rated ahead of us?

Wrath repped this.
  14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think he's just saying he doesn't like it. neither do i.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Heh, that I agree with.