Chelsea players on International duty

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StamfordBridgeLions, Mar 25, 2019.

1. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley did well - he scores goals. Jorghino and Kovacic do not.

Listen to the CHO interview - love that kid

Blueallthru repped this.
  2. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    So CHO is old enough to start for his country but not old enough to start for the 6th best team in the country.

Southgate is making a mockery of Sarri's subborness.

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pulisic (yes I'm counting him!) with a tidy early finish v Chile.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  4. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

USA! USA! USA!

he went off with an injury - hopefully he's good . . .for next season anyways

lobomojo repped this.
  5. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Twellman. FFS. He's so awful at it.

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley has just played two fantastic games for the national team, starting to show his early promise perhaps? CHO was rather 'good' too, why does Southgate see the potential / get the performance whereas Sarri does not? If we don't tie down these young players then they WILL be poached by the likes of Bayern Munich.

7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly, I think part of this is that Southgate is playing with house money and Sarri is going all in with every hand just to stay afloat. Also, the difference in level is very different. England playing Montenegro is more akin to Chelsea in Europa group stages (where CHO has played) than Chelsea v Man City.

Also, I can't get on Sarri for this as it's been a persistent issue for all our managers in recent times. Which makes sense when you think about it. Developing a young player often doesn't yield instant results but can lead to great things over a period of years. Given our track record, our managers never last that long, so why take the risk for a payoff you are unlikely to fully see? It's short term and counter intuitive to longer term success, but I do get why this happens every time with us.

Overall it's a great thing if our players get the chance to play and perform at international level - can only help in their maturity.

Blueallthru and Dtrip77 repped this.
  8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes true, I am just concerned about our recent record of losing young talent, we all know that the press will do everything in their power to upset the club and the constant Hazard unsettling is now being replicated with regards to CHO and RLC, what is the point of having a world class academy if everytime we produce a talent they simply go and play elsewhere (something I imagine Southampton fans wonder exactly the same way).

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    100%. Its frustrating to be sat here and see what the academy produces in terms of promise and not reaping the fruits down the road.

For Southampton I suspect they can't keep theres whereas with us we dont seem to want to. But yes, would very much like to see some youth coming through. Something about that journey that seems to make those players fight harder for the badge, put in that extra bit of effort that can make all the difference on the pitch.

Blueallthru and limpidrock repped this.
  10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    new thread? :)

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolutely spot on KDB. Also, it's a show of good faith to the fans, especially the match going ones. There's just something about a homegrown kid. Would add too, to your point, they get the club, our rivalries, etc.