Charlie Davies Updates II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    The only thing worse than being on BS would be getting married.

2. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Wouldn't the worst thing be getting married to someone from BS?;)

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ....and by this time next year he should be there....

4. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying I have one strike left?

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't notice any limp whatsoever in either video.

What was the temperature like that day? If anything he just seems like he's a bit cold.

6. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And yet if we threw him out there right now he'd still be better than Kenny Cooper.

1 person likes this.
  7. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think this thread has officially jumped the shark.

[​IMG]

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...and what the fcuk that has to do with anything I have no idea....

9. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I tried to read all the posts since the video, but theres just no point. Nothing new. But boy are we fickle. One video where Charlie might be limping means that the World Cup is out of the question?

EVERYBODY in the know says he is close to getting back out there. How can you make a better judgment from a YouTube video???

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to do with the same old argument that a 60% fit Charlie Davies is better than 110% of every other pure striker in the US player pool besides Altidore and maaaaaybe Ching. If Charlie still isn't Charlie by June 1st, he is still going to South Africa because of it.

12. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    This post really sums up the general irrationality of Big Soccer nicely.

One extreme is that Charlie is lifting buses with his legs and spinning them around in the air like a cartoon, and will absotively posolutely play and win the golden boot at the world cup.

And anyone who doesn't agree with that position is a conspiracy theorist who doubts that Charlie will ever play soccer again.

I tend to gravitate towards the middle on most debates here on BS, which confuses and scares people I guess because I refuse to take an extreme stance.

Is it really so hard to imagine that a guy who broke two major bones in his leg, possibly tore a ligament in his knee (there seems to be conflicting reports on this), broke his elbow, and ruptured his pee factory might......just maybe.....have a bit of a hitch to his giddyup?

People point out that they noticed a bit of a limp, and all of a sudden those people ipso facto are saying Charlie has no chance of recovery.

Charlie very well could be starting sprinting, and ball work. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a bit of a limp. And its not too far fetched to think that sprinting, and lifting, and doing ball work might just cause a little bit of pain as his wounds still are healing and getting used to that sort of exercise regime again.

Its just a little too ridiculous. Do all of you people go through your everyday lives living in one extreme or the other, or is that a behavioral characteristic that you all reserve for BigSoccer only?

1 person likes this.
  13. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think there is a conflicting report on the knee. Some people just choose not to believe the story the PCL damage was mentioned in. One in which the writer talked a great deal with Davies.

(Ok, the "writer" was Ives, so anything is possibly... including that Ives was actually talking to a guy trying to find the cure for AIDS and completely botched the story once again)

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's training, he's running, he is dribbling.

Forget the effin' limp.

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are not always as they appear...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6bZHSfqQY"]YouTube- Don't judge too quickly - teenage daughter[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  16. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really get the video argument. So what? He has a limp in the video. He's recovering from all those leg injuries at an accelerated pace. Those leg injuries and repairs created and continue to create, I imagine, a great deal of scar tissue which must be dealt with in the rehab process. One has to break through that scar tissue to regain range of motion, for instance. I would somewhat expect for there to be a limp from the stiffness in his body as well as pain.

I know some here frown on posters pretending to be doctors, but I have experience with similar injuries and much slower recoveries :) from a patient's perspective. It's entirely believable for me that any limp could be resulting from his training and not necessarily an indication that something is wrong.

Or, I guess, everyone lying about his progress got busted when that video appeared.

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can limp all he wants as long as he bangs in 3 or 4 goals in the WC.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also recovering along side the likes of Ashley Cole and Essien. That has to be a positive. :)

20. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, not sure when that video was taken, but Davies clearly has some recovering to do ( it appears he is limping along ). he would have to really progress at a faster rate to be fully match fit for the W.C. That said, I hope he does get called up in the squad, and Bradley starts him.

21. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you actually watched our other forwards play? I'm saying this because apparently our English friends are excited about the prospect of Charlie playing against them because he won't be at the top of his game. They apparently haven't seen the 100% fit Jeff Cunningham and Robbie Findley prove themselves pretty ineffective. If Charlie is 80% of his former self that would be an instant upgrade over what we can put out there at the moment (though I think Ching is a lot better than people give him credit for).

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this from people who consider a Cornish Pastie 'haute cuisine", and dentistry strictly optional. ;)

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Followed the recovery time of many players lately...?? or too busy with these old "jokes" that are totally unfunny..... there is a very fine line between being at the absolute top of ones game (neccessary in a world cup) and being physically fit to run for 90 minutes......two very different things.

...So I'll stick with my original comment about Capello hoping Bradley selects Davies to the USA squad and then starts him vs England....not a hope in hell he'll be in any way effective at that level.....

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Neither would Robbie Findley, Jeff Cunningham, or Kenny Cooper at 100% fitness and on top of their game.

Besides...everyone knows that you have a personal agenda. So keep your opinions to yourself because they are about as insightful as a blind man judging a photography competition.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Charlie will be ready to start. I think moving Dempsey up with Altidore and playing Beasley/Holden/or Feilahber opposite Donovan on the flanks is much more likely, with Davies being the sub later in the games.

If you see Davies starting, that means he is all the way back. Be careful what you wish for.