Charlie Davies Transfer News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by mrt/MLS, Aug 4, 2016.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    With MLS transactions, they actually have a very good track record. It's the other stuff that's the problem ...

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman says Revs got significant money for Charlie Davies
    By Seth Macomber
    on Sep 5, 2016, 3:00p
    The Bent Musket

a517dogg repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, this is kind "Captain Obvious" to me. Consider:

"MLS trades that involve money can be difficult to assess because we never really learn the amount that was exchanged."
    and
    "In fact, Twellman called it "remarkable" that people still criticize the transaction."

Unless you have contacts like Twellman does, who might give you the inside scoop on how much money the Revs got, you're basically guessing. Some people here suggested that the Revs basically got back whatever assets they spent to get Kamara, so it effectively becomes a Davies for Kamara swap.

As for why it is "remarkable" that people criticize the deal, 1) those people don't know how much we got, 2) most of the criticism was based on losing a decent player during the transfer window, and not bringing one in.

So credit to Burns for offloading an asset for more than he was worth, and forcing Philly to make tough decisions on who to protect instead of us. But the real question is (and it always has been this), what are we going to do with those assets to improve the team? What significant players are we going to bring in during the off-season to make us a better team next year? And the elephant in the room is who is going to coach them. If it is the same guy, what makes anyone think the results will be significantly better, even if Burns can bring in a quality player or two? Having Kouassi for a full year will help, but he alone isn't going to do it. And what about Kouassi, Caldwell and Koffie and only two positions for them to play?

4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Koffie was acquired, wasn't' it reported that he had his eyes on going to Europe? If so, I think the Revs saw him as a short-term solution. I would guess Herivaux would be the backup to Kouassi and Caldwell next year.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I remember reading that he had European ambitions, and that had something to do with why we got him for next to nothing from Vancouver. Is he out of contract after this year? If so, he could probably hook on with a club for money equal to an MLS DP contract, which he won't get here. If not, I can't see anyone paying a significant transfer fee for him.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    1) I'm guessing that the reason why Twellman thinks it is "remarkable" is because there is often a knee-jerk reaction to criticize this team, no matter what they do. It was a good deal even without getting money in return. Now that we know there is significant money involved, it's even better (and even more mysterious about why Philly was trying so hard).

2) When you bring in other issues like not getting other players or who is going to be coaching, those are separate issues that Twellman wasn't commenting on.
    I think it's common knowledge that he has euro ambitions, but after missing substantial injury time, I'm not sure this will be the best season to be spring-boarding off of. If he is bound and determined, he'll have the chance to give it a try, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him return.

Now, how they would maximize the talents of Koffee, Kouassi and Caldwell would be an interesting problem to solve ...

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you'd have to ask Twellman himself what he was referring to, but at least around here, no one had a real beef with moving Davies, other than the fact we didn't get anything (that we could tell) in return. The beef I (and some others) had was that while other teams were adding players, we were subtracting them. Basically throwing in the towel on the season.

In 20/20 hindsight, the fact that we may have fleeced Philly doesn't make it any less "remarkable," since no one said what we got at the time the deal was made. He's sounding like Mike Burns, criticizing people for not knowing the facts, when no facts have been made public.

BERich repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't know, I've heard lots of grumbling about it - some of it here.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, no one knew what exactly we got in return, and given the overall level of confidence in Burns & Co., many of us expected the worst, like a 3rd round pick or something. But if we fleeced Philly and essentially got Kamara for Davies (and even had them both for a while), that's great. The problem is the Foxboro Kremlin Politburo's use of information, even when saying something would actually be in their favor.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just need a reliable mole on the inside.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It was public knowledge as soon as news of the deal came out that the Revs got a #1 pick and "money". The only questions where how much money and what kind.

And, now Twellman is replying to the "how much money" question - "a lot".

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only part about this whole deal I have and issue with is that this happened with Agudelo and Femi on the mend and Teal not a suitable sub at Forward. Here we are a month later and Femi just now returns to action. I think there would have been a lot less bitching had the Revs announced a forward signing days after trading Charlie

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those playing along, Davies so far has played 62 minutes For Philly across 6 substitute appearances. He has 1 assist so far.

Crooked repped this.