Charlie Davies Transfer News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by mrt/MLS, Aug 4, 2016.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, PHI contacted the Revs. In other words, Burns was just sitting on his, er, laurels, waiting for the phone to ring, instead of making calls to try and improve the team. Yes, I know that doesn't mean he didn't make other calls. The point is, only one call came to fruition, and it was initiated by the other team.

I've never been a fan of stockpiling future assets. It can backfire on you (see Boston Celtics and their 8 draft picks, June 2016).

BrianLBI repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort the standings by PPG, and the Revs are below the red line (7th) in the East. PHI is only 2 spots ahead of us (5th) and we helped them improve.

AUG 13th, PHI at NER.

I wonder what the Vegas odds are that Charlie scores a goal against us?

Think the Revs will do anything to recognize Charlie during that game? Ha, sorry, I tried to type that with a straight face, but I couldn't...

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was only a couple months ago - how can we judge?

rkupp repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I hope he scores a hat trick aginst the revs next week. I want Philly to devastate the revs. 5-1, something like that. Embarrass this team, it's players, staff, management and everyone associated with the New England Revolution enough that the Krafts make some changes.

Feldspar repped this.
  5. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I had not thought of it this way, but it makes sense

They picked up a very good striker in Kamara and are now recovering some of the assets they spent by trading Davies. They had 3 strikers (Davies, Agudelo, Femi) and the net-net is trading Davies for Kamara. I like the Davies for Kamara trade, but who knows how much the TAM difference was.

Agudelo can play on the wing and Femi is more of a sub at this point in his career

That said, I wish they had done something else in the summer transfer window (e.g. center back depth)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Celtics plan was to package some of those draft picks in a trade for a top line player. When they couldn't make a trade, they were stuck with too many draft picks for a 15-man roster. That forced them to use some of the picks on players they could stash in Europe for a few years.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal sucks starting at striker. We have seen so many examples of that, starting with his first few games. I'm pretty sure you've even acknowledged that in the past. I don't know why this is even a debated point?
    I'm sorry you're right. This team will just be just fine.
    Good point. That Bunbury guy you just mentioned scored his second goal of the year yesterday. Of course, he played over 1,000 more minutes for the Revs to get that second goal, but let's ignore facts.
    Of course it is.

TheLostUniversity and rkane1226 repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical KAD move. Sing his praises while he is here, then turn on him the minute he is out the door.

Ignore the fact that he was the team's leading goal scorer last year. Ignore the fact he's having an off year because he had cancer. Nope. The all-knowing front office made the right move yet again, and us peons are just too stupid to realize it...

Crooked, TheLostUniversity and BERich repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also that he was pretty sure that the player would be better than last year (in the prediction thread).

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, we didn't do anything this window, which is very disappointing and fully worthy of criticism. But, it doesn't make the Davies deal a bad decision IMO. They basically chose to "sell high" on Davies, since someone was hot for him.
    Like the money we never spent to get Kamara, one of the league's best scorers?
    Actually the most life we'd shown lately (until he got injured recently) was FEMI, not Davies. Femi has more goals in fewer minutes than Davies, and showed a knack for energizing the Revs and making things happen - something we hadn't seen from Davies this year.
    Actually, the Revs are pretty good at dealing within MLS - accumulating draft picks, getting value from players from other teams, etc. There are things they aren't good at, but calling them amateurish is pretty silly. Even the media thought the return for Davies was quite high.
    He's not a great solution, but his scoring rate is no worse than Davies' (even when playing forward) - so essentially we still have enough depth there. Regardless, we're still talking 3rd or 4th option when we have our full roster healthy, so it's a pretty insignificant issue.
    No, they probably won't be this year. But that doesn't make trading Davies a disaster - it was an example of dealing from strength because a player was in demand (by at least one team) and getting a significant return. It was very unlikely that Davies was going to make much of a difference this year. Heaps plays one forward and Kamara is a fixture (and certainly seems quite durable) and Femi has been the one to show the spark off the bench.
    Not just me saying that, I've read the same in the media.
    I'm not sure that I mentioned Davies in that list (if I did, I'm sure you'll find it ;)), but I never claimed to be right all the time. And this trade was about dealing with the here and now - not last year. Last year Davies had a ton of minutes and scored 10 goals - that's "okay". This year we have Kamara and Davies isn't getting minutes, for multiple reasons. If the view is that he wouldn't be getting a lot of minutes the rest of the way and a team was making a good offer for him, it's just good business to make the deal.

That doesn't excuse the fact that we haven't made any other moves to strengthen the team.

Crooked repped this.
  11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how many people heard this last night on the half time report but Twellman basically said Davies wanted this trade to happen and basically forced the trade. I would think that with Kamara on board and the fact that Heaps seems unwilling to play with two forwards Davies knew his PT was going to be almost nonexistent. Plus according to Twellman Davies contract was up in Dec and figured he was be picked up by an expansion team. He probably saw Philly as a step up from that especially with Bedoya joining. That said getting GAM, TAM and a first rounder for Davies and a third round pick seems like a win for the Revs........Now if they would only spend the money!

RevsLiverpool and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spend the money to make the team better THIS year....

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

TheLostUniversity and a517dogg repped this.
  14. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I heard that as well and commented in the game thread. Here is a related tweet as well:

15. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda thought it was a no-brainer that he'd want this. He'd never be in the two-forward system (or at least attack oriented system) he needs in order to be effective here, AND he's been relegated to a backup/15 minute a game guy. No surprise that he wanted a change.

16. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, those were my comments as well earlier in the thread. Seemed like a move Charlie would want.

17. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting comments.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I hate being right, though the ass kicking is only half of the equation.

Making smart changes now is critical.:(:mad:

TheLostUniversity and pwykes repped this.
  19. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it.

He was the starting forward for the Revs throughout their great run toward the end of the 2014, and then the Revs went out and brought in Juan Agudelo at great expense in the off-season. Davies essentially beat him out, and after he was diagnosed with cancer, the team didn't go out and pick up someone to fill in for a couple of months... they traded for freakin' Kei Kamara... again, at great expense.

Without saying it, they've told him twice that they didn't believe in him... that they didn't think he was good enough.

a517dogg, mrt/MLS and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Perhaps that's what he's saying. But I think that's the correct evaluation - he's an okay scorer, but he's also frequently injured. I feel, like others have said, that if he's your best forward ... it's not good enough.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams always should be trying to get better players than the ones they have. If they aren't, then they are not doing their jobs (ahem...)

22. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's fine... but I felt as if CD9 could have settled into a role in New England as the team's 2nd-best forward. Maybe not your go-to guy, but a veteran presence who can start a handful of games and be one of the first guys off your bench.

I'd certainly rather have CD9 in that role than Juan Agudelo at like $425,000.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, yes, but ... Part of the GM's job is maximizing assets. If the offer for the player is more than they think the player is worth to them (considering CD wasn't getting and may not be getting much p.t.), then making the move may be worth it.

I still think the deal makes sense in that it recovers much of the load of assets used to acquire Kamara - so I look at it as a package deal: Davies and "some" assets for K.K. Certainly they will need to find another backup forward in the off-season, but I don't think it's likely to become a critical need before then (for good and bad reasons!).

24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.....
    you are claiming that what we have seen from the Revs, GM or manager, is "maximizing assets"????

In the Village it is all Good.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an isolated move, recovering some of the assets we gave up for Kamara in return for Davies seems like a good move, especially since he wasn't going to get a whole lot of time for us. So.... why is it that we couldn't swing a deal for an actual player who might have been able to step in right now and help us? In the Globe article Heaps says we can turn it around, but really, this team ain't going nowhere and everyone knows it.