News: Chargers Move to LA, crash on Galaxy's couch.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DoyleG, Jan 12, 2017.

1. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    #676 blacktide, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/4/16423520/los-angeles-chargers-owners-post-fan-experiment

"If a franchise proves profitable without having a sizable fan base, it’d represent a way for owners to cash in without dealing with the endearingly human problems that fans frequently cause."

Interesting article that posits that the Chargers can still be successful even without a significant fan base of which to speak. Since the NFL makes its money on TV and ticket licenses and luxury boxes from high rollers, the team can be profitable without its own significant fan base. I mean, the other teams need somebody to play and put on TV. Spanos probably doesn't care that what color jersey the ticket buyer wears, as long as the money is green.

Not sure that I think it will work, but Spanos and the NFL appear hellbent on finding out if it will.

xbhaskarx, CREN, Smurfquake and 3 others repped this.
  2. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A lot of those are Canadians......Despite that awful overpriced Skydome experiment, the Bills are the best supported team in Toronto.

Honore de Ballsac and don gagliardi repped this.
  3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's what happened with the Marlins a bit back. Huizenga (I think...spelling off I'm sure) made a tidy profit and barely invested in the team for a couple of years, or got many fans.

4. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS related... but count me as a person that things the Bills would be better off with a move to Toronto!

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Funny, because you can count me as a person that thinks Beckham would be better off placing an MLS franchise in Buffalo.

BalanceUT and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m still trying to figure why, as an MLS fan, I’m supposed to care about any of this.

Simster, AeroNaught, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep this about 1000 times.

8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? You're right.

Anderson11 repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?????

It means more money for the Gals, so it had an impact on the financial pecking order within the league. Further, the PR of the Gals ha I gotta more LA supporters than an NFL team is interesting.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Chargers should see what rent would be at LAFC's smaller place. 22,000 sounds possible for them eight times a year. Probably.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it’s one of the biggest signs of weakness in the 600 lb gorilla called the NFL. And weaknesses from the top dog league in the US are advantageous to MLS and all the lesser leagues. That this weakness is being laid bare in an MLS stadium is just irony.

12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chargers will be fine. It may take new ownership first, but the ship will get turned around.

Probably. The league overall is struggling with some things and handling them badly. If that continues, the sport could decline like boxing did.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Weakness being the notion that one team in LA is insufficient? MLS has the same disease.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more than sufficient.

15. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he won rings, then burned it down

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't know if they'll ever be fine in Los Angeles. I just don't know what they'd have to do to get fans here... at this point the rams are in the "should be ok in the long term" situation while the chargers are in the "why the hell are you here" situation.

athletics68 repped this.
  17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bleacher Report has a cartoon series called Gridiron Heights that pokes fun at things that happen in the NFL every week. After the Chargers played the Eagles Phillip Rivers hires PI Jay Cutler to find the Los Angles football fans. You get a look at the field and the end zone says LA Galaxy but there's a line through Galaxy and Chargers is crudely written in spray paint about it.

Len and athletics68 repped this.
  18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who want greater specificity than 'cartoon series', this is the specific video.

ElJefe and VBCity72 repped this.
  19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==========
    NFL has a different problem. You are building a 1 billion dollar stadium, the league image is such that both teams need to sell out every seat every game in a very large stadium.

MLS is different as we have 2 stadiums of reasonable size 27 & 20 AND 2 soccer teams in a city will generally start to create a rivalry over time. Fans will travel to each others stadium, as well as fans from out of the area.

When I see the Charges almost being outdrawn by fans of the visiting team, that's an LA thing, it happens with our other sports teams at times because so maybe people are from somewhere else living now in So Cal.

Separate question. Does anyone know how NFL fans travel? We make big efforts to point out the great distance our soccer fans travel in the US. Example. I went to MNUFC last home game of the year and there were approx 300 Sporting KC fans that had come up. I thought that was impressive. Or is the NFL so established, that it simply has fans for every team in all cities?

20. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And won 2 rings

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People move. Therefore, fans may not be traveling so much as relocating. We are RSL fans even though it's been a decade since we lived there and had season tickets. We now live in Maryland. We travel to Columbus, DC and Philly when RSL comes because they are reasonable weekend trips for us with other things to do.

Ismitje repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  23. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's only a matter of time before MLS is bigger than NFL, assuming that time is infinite.

25. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And current trends continue indefinitely.