News: Chargers Move to LA, crash on Galaxy's couch.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DoyleG, Jan 12, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #601 falvo, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Their current FieldTurf is even worse for the game than the gridiron lines. Thankfully that won't be the case in Carson.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    matbluvenger and Unak78 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I lived in downtown Florence, I would watch the calcio storico in piazza Santa Croce near the Arno River. It was pretty intense.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit like watching Chelsea - Leeds in the 1970 Cup Final, the first football game I really remember.

5. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #605 whiteonrice04, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Chargers not off to great welcome by LA. 21k for first ever game (preseason) in LA.

I also found this and had to post it as it is going to make some people's head spin.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...chargers-stubhub-upgrades-20170810-story.html
    "The European-style roof atop StubHub Center, made of a fabric designed to contain and reverberate crowd noise"
    "It was added at the last minute, at a cost of $8 million, by stadium developer and operator AEG on the insistence of Jurgen Klinsmann after the former German soccer star and U.S. national-team coach toured the facility before it opened in 2003"

"Home-field advantage is so important in the NFL, so we’re very excited to see whether that structural element can add any benefit to the crowd noise"

"Obviously, it’s a small stadium. It seats 27,000. Our goal is to make it sound like 90,000."

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also soccer lines where left on the field. The Chargers are so amateur. ;)

TOAzer, USFootiefan1980, canammj and 3 others repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I see soccer markings at GIlette occasionally, but they are more muted than this.

The Franchise repped this.
  8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's kidding, right? I've seen it in Seattle and New England. Many NFL fields rather routinely have college hashmarks visible, too. It's not a big deal.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's a joke. Referencing MLS insecure fans screaming that seeing NFL markings at game ruins everything.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I get the joke but agree with others that say comparing a couple soccer lines to the entire field being marked up with football lines not being a fair comparison.

11. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shots Fired! And a JK mention from 2003?

12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Simply quoting a new article ;)

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I was surprised by, watching the Chargers last night, is it seemed like the new bleachers on the grass berm were covered in tarps from the halfway point up. It seemed a lot fewer people up there then I imagined.

Perhaps it was a soft opener for those seats since they were just installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Or they didn't sell enough tickets and left those seats covered as lots of teams do when they don't sell out a game.

athletics68 repped this.
  15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah insecure fans like Bob Bradley.

What do you call this fallacy? No, not my appeal to awesome authority. I mean, when you think a formula necessarily works the same backwards and forwards, like a palindrome reads. False equivalence? Apples to oranges?

NFL doesn't have business-hindering credibility issues*. American soccer still does. As big as an MLS nerd as I am, I'm not too close to realize this.

*Though maybe the Carson Chargers do.

16. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Galaxy game Saturday night, and it looked like they haven't finished installing all the bleachers in that section yet.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there too but all the construction equipment that had been present during construction in that area is gone. Those bleachers look essentially the same as they did two weeks ago when we faced Seattle. My guess is that this is it. Maybe they couldn't get a permit to add more seats up there then this and the "tarps" is a permanent addition. That would explain why the bleachers up high look different.

I guess time will tell...

Namrog The Just repped this.
  18. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right that they're done, at least for this year. Apparently the Chargers, in consultation with the AEG and StubHub, decided to keep capacity around 27,000 for this year: http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-advance-20170812-story.html

"The maximum seating capacity for the team’s first of three seasons at StubHub will be 27,000, about 3,000 shy of what the Chargers thought they’d have. The decision to delay expansion was made in conjunction with StubHub officials and AEG, which owns and operates the stadium...StubHub general manager Katie Pandolfo said capacity can be increased by adding 1,000-2,000 more bleacher seats to the berm on the north side of the stadium. If the Chargers make the playoffs, the team could sell standing-room-only tickets"

mbar repped this.
  19. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    And if pigs fly, they can set up a BBQ Shop upstairs.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to me like the Chargers logo is still visible.

(That's actually the elapsed time of a NFL game minus commercials and timeouts).

upload_2017-8-18_9-52-58.png

jayd8888 and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  21. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just looks so weird.

Todorojo and TOAzer repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just as empty if not more so in Preseason week 2. And the tarps are still there even with the bleachers complete. Reportedly they're going to keep them on all season.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Tarps are there to stay. They didn't bother completing them after agreeing to a fire marshal limit of 27k for the season. I think they decreased the Galaxy's capacity with all their improvements, as the maximum crowd the stadium can now fit is 27k.

EDIT: Actually Chargers say they can fit a bit more if they make the playoffs, so maybe the Galaxy capacity is still ~30k.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly the Gals had been over reporting capacity for years and with the expansion the place holds 27k. Of course that assumes all the expansion seats would be available, which they won't be.

mbar repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I know the 27k number was inflated, but what about the record attendances of 30k+? Should we be deducting ~1500 from those as well?