Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Gilligan Rocks

SASA
    Canada
    Aug 6, 2018

Text from FC united parent:

We have been hurt by injuries (no pun intended– something like 6 ACLs over the last year. 3 starters (all Big 10 commits) were out for fall. Not sure when they come back in spring. and not sure about players bolting in the spring for hs. I think most are jrs and sophs, and leaving from DA for hs disqualifies them from DA next year. So that does not make sense. We do have 6 or 7 commited srs, but not sure if any are leaving for hs. If they go, we’d be short players and have to bring up younger girls like last yr.

YNWA1986 repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #977 VolklP19, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    FCU has always had an issue with h/s play - in fact that area has always had some issue with that. Sockers are fantastic up at the top ages but from 2004 down there is very little talent left in that old girl. The 2004 group has been hopeless for 2 years. The 2005 group only has two long standing Sockers players - the rest were developed by other clubs and came over at u12/u13 or were heavily recruited for this season. I'm pretty sure they would struggle with top MRL teams. The 2006 team could not hold a candle to the 2005 team of last year - and many of those players came from Hoffman United for gods sake! Unless they recruit (again), next years 2006 academy will struggle against Shattuck. There will be more defections from those lower ages as well - like DR stated last year "We'll lose more players before we gain them"

I wonder if some of those parents realize that Palatine boys are registered for Canlan winter league - but not one girls team... What a missed opportunity to recruit and build. I just do not get it.

Eclipse? Heard that their indoor season does not even start until January. Last season they had one practice per week because they failed to obtain the indoor fields to facilitate all those new boys and more. At the lower ages of ECNL A teams, there are kids missing training sessions for other activities. One coach who cannot stop himself from openly searing at players.

From the looks of it, the future of top level soccer on the girls side will come down to whether or not FCU can develop and retain h/s players and just how well Eclipse and Sockers can recruit.

IMO this is one of the worst periods in Illinois for girls soccer. It's a slew of leagues and clubs with conflicts of interest all over the place. Whether those reasons are the actual cause, the competition vs other regions does not look good for Illinois.

3. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I think Sockers are heading in the right direction although they're younger girls pools are not great. They've put the right guys at the helm of their DA teams. Removed all former girls leadership, and all former ECNL coaches are now out of the club. Hearing good things about the new 14s and 15s coach who's also heading a new Talent ID program, and DR himself heading the 17 and 19s. They have stability (generally), a good club pathway and all their coaches seem to be on the same page as far as how they want their teams to play. Curious to hear what, if anything, is going on with their younger girls staff though. Hearing that former Loyola coach and NISL director now coaching their youngest teams. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I feel like FCU is still in transition with its change in leadership, and their staff is like a revolving door. Hearing good things about their newest girls DA coach, but I'm curious if he'll be there long-term...his high-profile wife may not stay in Chicago very long. They've brought in a handful of current and former coaches from local colleges, which again, have very short shelf-lives. I think more than anything they just need some stability and a better club pathway, not just a team-to-team program but more of a club methodology. They have large player pools but heard their Pre-Academy teams, although made deep State Cup runs, played really poor soccer. A coach friend said that they may as well have not played with a midfield in any of their State Cup final games. Again, I think this comes down to a club having a clearer methodology. One hopes this will come in time. If they can become more stable and create a better internal pathway they could be a real power.

Honestly I feel the worst thing for Chicagoland girls soccer is Eclipse. They do win more than the others but it all comes down to recruitment. Their girls coaches are all assholes, constantly berate and belittle the kids. Their training methodology is non-existent...hell, they don't do anything in the winter! So many players there develop by training with small group or private guys like PF, JA, CE or training with other clubs. My coach friend put it the best: Players are like buckets of water. Good coaches do what they can to constantly fill the bucket, bad coaches just use the water in the bucket. Eclipse coaches definitely use the water. They're taking the best naturally talented players and do very little to actually improve them. Although I do admit my opinion of them stems from what I perceive, but once I heard one of their "reputable coaches" tell a girl to "get her fat, lazy ass up the line" any respect was gone.

illinisoccer repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #979 VolklP19, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2018
    It's not just a matter of replacing coaches... Sockers have never really had to dig out and the hole for the girls is rather deep. 5-6 years ago they were killing it in tournaments vs other girls teams. The reason was primarily due to the fact that these girls came up training with boys and playing with boys in the NISL - had very little to do with coaches. When they pulled out of NISL they lingered in the B divisions of IWSL between the middle and bottom - for the most part this was the case from 2004 teams down. This went on for 2-3 years before leadership decided to replace existing coaches with coaches with - who in some cases, never coached girls at all and at the lower ranks, given young coaches with little experience. The following year even more coaching turn-over and as you mention – more this year. Do they finally have it right now? Who knows...

I’m not certain leadership is capable of seeing some of the obvious and easy wins which are slowly eroding Sockers (as a girls club) off the map for many players who are not in the top 5% in the surrounding area. I go back to my comment earlier - boys all in at Canlan but nothing for the girls??? They need players - they need wins - that's like shooting fish in a barrel:eek: but nope... Meanwhile parents roll their eyes and say to themselves - it's all about the boys...

Their biggest problem is that they think they can just run the girls side - like the boys side. This was the strategy BC stated as the club approach for girls during team meetings at the begining of last season. The problem? You have nowhere near the reputation and nowhere near the numbers to do that on the girls side. And that is the reason why they are dangling carrots in front of 2006 players by letting them train up and giving them a taste of DA - because they cannot afford to lose more.

You say that they are heading in the right direction - maybe so, after all you should know. But I think it will take 2-3 years to find out. How much more attrition can they manage to take on - PDA teams being bested by B teams. Naperville teams performing better then Palatine, players already talking with other clubs.

I guess we will see.

DR? Funny – lots of nepotism over there.

Yes – Sockers do this very well.

You should really stop asking silly questions which you know the answer to.

In DA play, FCU bested Sockers at U14 and U15. At U16 FCU finished just below Sockers – both in playoffs. The older ages Sockers rock it completely - won't dispute that.

In PDA play FCU has multiple teams in virtually all ages in higher leagues then Sockers – not even comparable from 2004 down.

So as of today – there is no comparison… Better get those 2010s back in the NISL or start recruiting players from Eclipse and FCU.

Awhile back someone said that the worst “thing” for soccer in Chicagoland was Sockers and Eclipse. I did not get it then but I do now and that’s what I believe as well. Eclipse lacks resources - makes many empty promises but like Sockers - that jersey and name go a long way in terms of prestige with parents who like to tell their friends that their kid is better then the local comm club.

They only advatage Eclipse has is their reputation - who like the Sockers boys side, is second to none. That's not likely to change anytime soon - regardless of how much Sockers talks about a National Platform, Teams etc...

BTW YNWA – why the switch of handle on the message board – you forget your password?

5. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Like I said, got a little heated in a previous exchange, took some time away and since apologized. But by the way you've so carefully dissected my message and the perceived tone of your responses I can't help but feel like you have some kind of axe to grind with Sockers and/or myself. I'm not affiliated with them anymore, but respect what they do...not sorry to admit that.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #981 VolklP19, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    This is a message board - people express opinions - there is no need to apologize. If you felt the need for a self-timeout that's on you.

I'm not going to go any further into this from a personal perspective.

As far as Sockers is concerned - all what I said is accurate. I have no axe to grind. Some things they do great - coaching continuity (as mentioned) and the style that they employ would be well served at many clubs - just not as the core such as been dictated by DA. But the fact is that the club failed for many years - impacting the teams from 2004 down - essentially taking the club out of competitive contention in any meaningful manner for those ages. You say they got it right now. I say history says it's doubtful but we'll see.

I'm not taking any food off anyones table so we are done here.

7. jsScott

jsScott New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #982 jsScott, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Well earned and deserved recognition for a local girl who happens to be the nation’s leading goal scorer in club soccer (scroll down after opening link).

illinisoccer and VolklP19 repped this.
  8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So mentioned above, Eclipse seems to still be struggling with indoor resources - essentially since DD and the boys side came over/expanded. I know last season there was something like 1 training session and 1 scrimmage every week. Looks the same now but even worse. Training sessions are more sporadic. Saw one parents who said they only had 3 training sessions all winter - another who confirmed.

They are even added outdoor sessions. Apparently last week they were out at it in this freezing weather when the lights were intentionally turned off - apparently there is trouble between the fields owners and Eclipse. That was resolved and they will be back out there tonight.

Parents are being told to join external futsal teams if they want more time on the ball for their players. Last night we were up at TheMac in Crystal Lake and an Eclipse team was playing a CL Force Team - albiet 12-0 so not much competition for those Eclipse gals up my way. But it does show support that teams and players are looking elsewhere to supplement the lack of play time.

How in the world can a club like Eclipse have such a mess when it comes to Winter training?

9. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Most of the indoor locations near Oak Brook have long term renters that locked into multi-year contracts when the facility opened. Unless a new facility with several fields opens up in that area, the eclipse will always struggle to secure indoor space.

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Are there very few places out that way?

No chance of renting a gym?

Could they not invest in space and renovate - at least for futsal games?

I am not too familiar with Oak Brook - but I know it's not cheap!

11. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    #986 Iniesta62106, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    I just received our Eclipse winter training schedule yesterday. 2x a week at Darien, starting first of January. Have had sporadic training on turf between end of fall season and now. Seems like you should have a schedule soon?

Editing to say that last winter we trained 2x a week as well. Futsal is through outside leagues but Eclipse coordinated teams.

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So it could be just from the end of Fall through December.

Not that bad then.

I would still argue that any club that is charging $2800.00 and is considered a "top" club, should have 3 training sessions a week with an option of strength and conditioning as a 3rd - maybe with a few friendlies which make sense.

13. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Absolutely. Can’t get over how little we train for the $$. Of course, everyone still puts in the time but you find it and pay for it on your own.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah that is what shocked me. I just figured DD coming over with the boys was the cause for less play time all around but that seems to have continued.

Indoor space may be at a premium in that area. I believe out by me a 7v7 fields with walls runs under $200 (maybe $175) by the hour. I think Canlan - full 11v11 field with no walls is around $250 and hour.

Of course if there is not time to be had that's a different problem.

15. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Is this true? That seems really cheap. I'd be surprised if it were ever empty at that rate.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It may be $275 per hour.

They are packed as far as I know.

17. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Max in McCook is $375 an hour for a 7v7 field.

18. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    On a slightly different note. Eclipse lining up an affiliate in North Shore region in 2019, anyone heard the same?

19. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Rumour is second ECNL slot could be relocated to a north franchise.

20. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    From your lips to Mayor McCheese's ears.

The ECNL "B" team experiment just wasn't well thought out or executed, as has been discussed here several times. It's been tough for everyone involved. Put 25 miles and several hundred thousand residents in between the two teams home fields and I don't think you'll be able to call either a "B" team.

Haven't FCU and Eclipse already fired enough rounds at each other that a move like this wouldn't be against any unwritten agreement. Would it?

21. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It seems like a model that could work. Offers the highest level of girls soccer and does not make kids choose between high school and club. Can't imagine there is much goodwill between those two organizations. Why not take your product to your competitors backyard?

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Maybe Eclipse is reading BigSoccer and sees that those FCU kids want to play high school :D.

So I jammed Sockers earlier and this is where I'll jam Eclipse for maintaining the monopoly on ECNL in the area.

I wonder how FCU will react - not much they can do I guess.

Are there other states that are as messed up at the top of the ladder when it comes to girls soccer?

23. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    From past history there are two types of Eclipse affiliates:
    1) Affiliate with a decent club that has a few players Eclipse would want. Bring those player over to an "Eclipse" team. Get as many of these players as they can on to "Eclipse' teams. Drop the affiliation the next year
    2) Find a coach who has a few strong teams. Offer the coach to move to Eclipse as long as they can bring a substantial number of their current players to Eclipse.

Earlier in this thread there was discussion of a different reason for Affiliation:
    3) Getting access to more field space. This one would be interesting as Eclipse would need to figure out how to affiliate, get the fields in Eclipse's name and then drop the affiliation the next year.

Maybe this is the "new" type 3 affiliation?

24. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If the rumored partnership comes to fruition, I think it would a new model. I think it’s goal would be to attract players to that location from the competition in that area and then filter the top talent to the oak brook location while maninting a higher level “B” ecnl team at the north location. I don’t think many if any of the players would initially be relocated.

25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Could work for B teams and maybe a trickle on moving some to OB. What fields and what coaches would make the difference?