Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Easy. Players leave or tryout and do not commit. It shouldn’t take them long to find a replacement. Just wait until Eclipse names a backup goalie at that age and I sure the problem will be solved. Obvisouly not a great situation but they only have up 1 goal to Nationals so some of the field players must be decent in net.

2. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Apparently they don't have one in the club that they feel is the right level.

The rumors out of the Sockers camp are they've dumped resources into their GK department that they felt wasn't up to standard following Big Cat's move out west, and they're finally formalizing a player ID department in response to Fire snatching a number of their top players. If these are true then I'm sure they'll find one soon.

Looking at the early rounds of DA scores, looks like Sockers 17s and 19s girls DA are pretty solid. Unbeaten and picked up wins against Nationals sides that consisted of runners-up at last years DA championships. FCU looks to have the better younger teams, but with such a massive player pool at those middle school ages this is no surprise.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Maybe for a regular league team - I mean I've heard as early as 2 years ago some clubs offering half price for keepers but for a DA team? I don't think that's as typical as you make it sound to be.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #829 VolklP19, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    I heard the BC was sort of abrupt - players told no loger to use the gloves even - not sure what that was about. I know the new guy they brought in is working with the boys and girls DA only - not the girls side below the DA. When we started there the keeper coach (Albert) would attend games and regular practices often to provide feedback for keepers. That sort of ended with Neil (Big Cat) while Albert shifted to a college advisor role. Nothing but godd things about the new guy (Bradley) so far.

Older teams have been competitive for the past few years - less so then the 98/99 team which was pretty darn good.

Nationals in general (DA/MRL) are not looking too good. I thought they were en route to displacing Hawks as the club to be in on the girls side in MI.

5. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Nats are fine. Buddy has girl on team Kept best players home on 19s (incl top GK and 2 girls at GNT camp). Travelled with 11 and lost kid to injury during game. That being said, they underestimated Sockers.

6. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    It looks like in addition to GDA, they have a team in P1 at every girls age group and 2 teams in P1 for U17 and U18. Their 4th (or 5th?) U17 team lost 3-2 to Campton in MRL over the weekend and Campton was Illinois State cup runner up last year at that age group. Nationals appear very strong to me.

Anybody from Michigan read this (even though this is a Chicago thread)? I wonder what they think of Hawks vs Nationals? Nationals arguably performed better in GDA last year vs Hawks, but I am sure Hawks had some split talent with both GDA and ECNL teams.

7. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely not typical but eventually a keeper will find their way there

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Out returning a power washer to a friend in near by Bull Valley and drove by the facility - looks about 3/4th complete with lights and a lot more parking. It will be a nice facility but again - who are the customers? PM has burnt a few bridges in the area so I find it hard to believe that CLF would play there considering they already have lit fields down the road (closer to home).

Are they thinking Sockers may invest in it and move the North squad there? I doubt that because they made a big deal with Canlan already for DA games and training sessions.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Sockers have "DA Exibition" teams in the NPL at multiple ages. 04/05 are mostly if not all DA players.

10. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Been told that the NPL games are to be used as a developmental tool for the players across both ages who aren't playing as much in the DA games. That kids will play in specific positions or in a manner that could supplement their development...so basically a training tool. Not a bad idea. How better to replicate game scenarios than to use actual games against live opponents, and gives minutes to players in that 14-18 range in the depth chart. Saw DR himself coaching a girls NPL game a few weeks ago, so I doubt its just a f*ck off...

Not to mention it's two teams: one group of 04/05s playing at 2003, one group of 02/03 playing at 00/01. Can't be about results, as all their games are 0-3 forfeits, so no National Final. Since this conversation was about "loading teams", I'm not sure it actually applies.

11. Gilligan Rocks

SASA
    Canada
    Aug 6, 2018
    Why are they forfeits?

12. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    The DA now allows their members to schedule external games as long as they're not in any formal competition or for a championship/title (i.e. State Cup, leagues or tournaments). Although they play in the NISL, in order to stay within the DA rules none of their games can count for points so essentially they're all friendlies. Opponent gets a free 3 points.

To be fair, both teams are blended ages playing up and consist mostly of non-starters in the DA, so it's not like their intent is to thrash everyone even tho its a friendly just to prove how good they are...

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It was only in reference to you saying it would "never happen" in which I don't think any context was specified.

That said the 04/05 Exibition Team is all DA players - so it's just additional games. I can't speak for the older team as I only know a few. That said - no it is not a bad idea for additional training.

The NPL is pretty bad this season - lots of B teams in there. Open Club is no different and MCL is only just a bit better.

I think overall we are seeing the lowest level of soccer on the girls side in the entire state.

14. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    When I said it'd never happen it was in regards to the statement about loading teams on the local level to thrash everyone. If you look closely at the way they're using that NPL I don't think that's their intent...

I agree and disagree with the statement of girls soccer being of a lower level in Illinois. I think on the local level it definitely seems lower than ever because you have 2 DA's and 2 ECNL's (although its the same club). This means more players from 2006 and older aren't playing locally. The same could explain why the regional platforms seem lower as well.

I think there's a general lack of strong leadership in the girls clubs in Chicago. Too many people that want to isolate their club in different platforms, fall into routines and comfort zones, and stop evolving or innovating. On the flip side there's been some pop-ups who seem innovative and progressive but haven't really done anything noteworthy. Sadly there's still the snakes in the grass too...the ones that feed on misinformation. But from the usual top clubs who's really changed anything about their clubs methodology, philosophy, or operations? For the most part I see the same people running the same organizations the same way they did 10 years ago, meanwhile the rest of the Midwest (and country) are rapidly evolving. It's no wonder why other clubs in the region are passing us by...

15. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Had a chat with a local coach, a guy I respect(ed). He talked about how his team got so much better and beat last years USYS National Champion Michigan Jaguars in MRL 4-0 or something. The fact is they played Michigan Jags second team since the first is now in DA. Now either he didn't realize this, or he assumed I didn't know any better and wanted to talk up his team/club.

Accomplishments aside, it brought me to some sad realizations:

1) There are still coaches out there that justify themselves or their team by who they beat. One game doesn't make a season, or put a kid into college or YNT. Show consistency in developing great players/teams and that will speak for itself. Create a program with a proven track record.

2) A coach, who has a fairly high regard, either didn't know the landscape or tried to use misinformation and oversell. I find it hard to believe that a coach at that level didn't know the competition. You can lie all you want to a parent but eventually the truth comes out and can permanently damage your reputation or that of your program.

When will girls soccer evolve??

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Gotcha - I thought you meant they would never do that period.

Hmmm... Let me be more specific. I think the top Illinois teams would be stuffed by many teams in the East/Texas/So Cal/Nor Cal areas. I was talking nationally - not regionally.

Yes - this I agree with.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #842 VolklP19, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Yes a coach should know but seriously - what is the pyramid of girls soccer in the nation? I could not even find that info on USYS to any detail.

My shot...

1. ECNL
    2. GDA
    3. USYS National/Regional Leagues Premier Divisions
    4. Four way tie
    - Regional Conference Divisions
    - IWSL Club Open
    - IWSL A Division
    - IWSL A/B Division
    5. Two way tie
    - NPL
    - A/B & B IWSL Division
    6. IWSL C Division
    7. Three way tie
    - IWSL D Division
    - AYSO
    - Rec Leagues

18. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Looks about right, although I'd switch DA with ECNL. Really outside of 4-5 clubs the ECNL doesn't have the overall quality. In the Midwest, they can take Eclipse Solar, Hawks Black, EGA, FCW, and SLSG IL and make a division of bang average teams. In the DA at least it's only Shattuck and CSA that aren't to the level.

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #844 VolklP19, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Not so sure about that yet. Maybe in a year or two. GDA is still relatively new (IMO).

And Sockers 04/05 teams are not to far ahead of Shattuck. There is little depth behind them. There will need to be much recruiting over there for the next teams in the pipeline.

That said - I don't think FCU or Eclipse are that much better - maybe Eclipse gets the nod but overall - and this is getting to our last conversation, the talent here is pretty poor.

Who do you think has the greatest depth from DA/ECNL down?

Maybe SLSG?

It just seems like there are gaping holes in many top clubs - at either certain levels or in age groups. There seems to be little consistency from top to bottom.

Could all these divisions and leagues be a problem as well? I mean the NPL boys are great but the girls side is garbage - why not move those over to MRL. Move the MRL boys to NPL? Yeah that will never happen.

20. Gilligan Rocks

SASA
    Canada
    Aug 6, 2018
    Rumor has it that Eclipse tried to fold its ECNL u17B team, and place those girls into under-rostered u17B, and both u19 teams, and ECNL said 'no'. It does not look like that team has played any games this year, so not sure how Eclipse fixes that. Feel bad for those girls.

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am going to guess that a lot of these 2nd teams for the ECNL (Eclipse or not) are basically just going to be the best of the rest and will likely be hard to keep a handle on.

Parents on "hold" for a bump to the 1st team, kids being pushed down to house teams... I heard that the 2005 ECNL 1 team had 18 rostered and the ECNL 2 had 24!!!!

As I said in an earlier post, Eclipse had a 90%+ sign rate and only expected 70% so it's a good problem if you have the resources and are honest with the parents.

My bet is that tier 2 players will go back to TC/Galaxy and so on. I know a 2003 Sockers player that did not may DA and simply went back to Galaxy for example. Smart move IMO - no reason to pay more $$$ and spend more time just being filler on a pre-academy team.

22. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Said it in the beginning: Eclipse just made a player grab and prevented any competition in the ECNL by carrying second teams. Never in their history have they ever given a damn about their second teams.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #848 VolklP19, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Not sure why anyone would expect any different?

Fire/Sockers/FCU/Eclipse... If your not at the top then your just filler paying the bills. at u12 and up.

My point is that if Eclipse are capable of changing that, then they will have a large pool to work with. From what I understand, they don't have those resources just yet. And like all the rest, I am not convinced they really care.

24. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Apparently people don't mind being "fillers", because FCU have a ton of teams outside their first teams...I think its just about creating an environment that people value so they don't feel like "fillers". FCU must be doing something right because they're lower teams are still doing ok in MRL, State Cup and whatnot.

25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #850 VolklP19, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Totally agree but that's a club with many ties into the community - and other clubs. They have always had depth.

Eclipse not so much - IMO more of a finishing club where kids go to at the u12-u13 ages. Sockers has not had depth at the Pre-Academy levels since my 20 year old started there. I think then they had 3 u12 teams if I recall correctly. Little short in the u8 level but multiple groups above that.

Back to the filler part though... There is a lot of it everywhere - not just limited to the clubs we are discussing for sure. I think there are a lot of delusional parents out there who think their kid are incredible players, or that by getting coffee for the coach gets them on the higher team. Big clubs pass out a lot of kool aid about scholarships and national teams. Yeah they can get players there but if the odds are about as good as winning the lottery then is the time, $$ and commitment worth it?

Anyhow - filler is everywhere and I guess what I am saying is most parents do not realize that - ever.

Hell I have no reason why we even have D and C travel - shouldn't rec just be better...? Can you imagine paying $2000.00 for your kid to play on a D team?