Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Ran a search for a coach which brought me to the 5 thread on Magic vs Sockers. No need to run through all 5 but if you did you could see that the top clubs at the time were:

- Chicago Magic
    - Chicago Fire Jrs
    - Sockers FC Chicago
    - Eclipse

And then you had what was known as the best of the rest...

- Wind
    - Campton United
    - FC United
    - Raiders
    - Team Chicago
    - Galaxy
    - NSA

I may be missing a few here but it seems that today - the landscape is very different. Many more clubs are now developing good teams - perhaps not collectively - great players, but teams that are successful and competing well.

It's starting to seem that the smaller clubs may be cacthing up - that maybe there is not a mad rush to run off to a DA or ECNL club at an early age in order for a player to get their foot in the door.

Am I wrong?

If not - why is this?

Constant separation of USClub vs USYouth?

Are the smaller clubs actually cacthing on?

Has the way we coach collectively changed?

2. nac soccer

nac soccer New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    DOC at fire juniors west out effective immediately after 8 yrs......anyone have any insight on what's going over there??? Lots of coach turnover there the past few years....

3. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    From the ex CFJ-W parents that I know, there has been the usual story of parents running out a respected coach and girls moving from CFJ-W to CFJ-S.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I keep getting these Facebook updates from Chicago Rush - Opening multiple locations (North, South, East & West) starting Fall of 2017.

"Coming to a suburb near you! Chicago Rush locations will be fully operational by the fall 2017. +Rush select offers the opportunity for elite players to compete regionally and nationally, yet still have their local identity!"

This is a pretty big push - location speaking and player speaking.

Are these new locations or is Rush acquiring former teams/clubs?

5. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Currently they are in Oswego, Lincolnshire and Minooka. The Rush franchise is very aggressive with expansion so it wouldn't be surprising if the number of locations doubled. No clue where they will be but Naperville always seems to add a few clubs each year.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow - I am surprised they are not grabbing other clubs. That is indeed a very aggressive approach.

We play them in NPL - team was okay but fast and physical.

7. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All the teams they currently have are from established clubs. I would imagine they will eventually start creating all star teams from the different locations.

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So they have absorbed players from other clubs - they are not using players who are at the same time, with another club?

Sounds like another Inferno - and that's not a dig.

9. 1goldeneagle

1goldeneagle New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    Going from small community based clubs to being part of the biggest soccer organization in the country...I smell trouble.
    I'm sure they're selling them on opportunities for "select teams" "pools". They don't seem to work so smoothly, usually.

Good Luck!

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So they were just a comm club before... Interesting.

11. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    They bought the Oswego Panthers club. IIRC, took the certain top teams and made them Chiacgo Rush, Everyone else is still called Panthers.

looks like the bought Three Rivers too

So you have stuff like this

CRSC PANTHER ORANGE
    CRSC THREE RIVERS

I don't recognize the Lightning Club

CRSC LIGHTNING

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Seems sort of crazy - especially since that area has not been stable for as long as I can remember.