ChampionsWorld files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by obie, Jan 19, 2005.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

That's funny. I love it.

3. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I have a vision of Don Garber doing something relating to CW's grave. It might be tapdancing, or it might be something more biological.

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing will make me feel better with the labor problems, but damn if this is not a nice start.

Andy

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You see people, the Eurosnobs were right - if you put high quality soccer out there, the masses will come watch it. Course, you will go broke doing it but that's besides the point."

Funny stuff.

That flame which burns brightest, burns briefest.

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's the gamble. Is there a market? How much of it is just a curiosity factor? I guess we found out.

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are too much.

I'm always interested in seeing real teams live. Teams which sign their own players, develop their players, have some kind of history, don't have salary caps, and are actually real teams. Sorry MLS, the reserves from any of the ChampionsWorld teams would have crushed any MLS "team".

It would be awful if they didn't have games next summer, the 40-60k that attended would have nowhere else to go, except to join 250-person MLS crowds and watch our brand of WWF inspired "soccer".

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do we have a bigsoccer password?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's just like the NASL, but stupider.

10. Skurwiel007

Skurwiel007 Member

Jun 12, 2004
    Very good news I'm happy :D

11. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    While I did enjoy the 2003 game between Barcelona and Milan at RFK, I won't be missing this...

12. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Here's somebody who obviously didn't attend manU-Bayern last summer. :rolleyes:

I didn't get my money back but this'll do.

13. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    Eurosnobs do exists!!!!

14. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did see that on TV, that was pretty bad. Especially since I saw a great Man United team live against Juve the year before.

Do you guys just not want European teams to come here? Or do you think ChampionsWorld was charging too much and stifling competition from other groups?

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I saw that one on TV and it was awful, but I attended the Celtic-Roma game in Toronto. It played to a packed Skydome, and the atmosphere couldn't have been better. Most of the major stars played, and Totti was simply masterful.

My feeling is that there's a market out there for ChampionsWorld or a similar program. They just have to figure out what it is and where it is. You know a game between Chivas and Barcelona in Dallas would sell out.

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS teams were smart, they'd schedule a one-off exhibition game, think D.C. United vs. Chelsea, or MetroStars vs. Barcelona.

17. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Don't get me wrong. I'm just bitter. Plain and simple. They ripped off everybody who attended that game.
    I love that European Teams come over here. Hopefully someone smarter will fill the void.
    But I'm an MLS fan so if they don't come I still have plenty to keep me busy.

18. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd actually prefer not to think about that, because it's a scary thought.

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just check www.bugmenot.com

Charlie just bit off way more than he could chew, which for Metro fans is not even close to a surprise. If he sticks to 2 or 3 games in the biggest North American markets with the 3-4 biggest teams, specializing the games to fit the local foreigner populations, he'd make a modest profit each year. But Charlie has never been about being modest.

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but for most of us, there's no MLS team in our towns and no team with a chance for promotion, since that doesn't exist in the MLS. I'd personally find it crazy if someone in a non-MLS city spent time watching that league, with so many better leagues available on TV. I'm actually very American, but MLS hasn't bothered to try to reach me, so I really just want to see European teams live.

21. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't remember any promises other than to see the teams play. Even during the Euorpean season, there are many games that are just boring.

But many fans loved the chance to see these guys in person, and thats what you got. Even though the game wasnt great, I enjoyed seeing 2 incredible clubs that I may never see again.

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, MLS has tried to reach fans in more markets, but without investors, it's not going to happen.

I, too, chuckled at this news. The CW tours were gimmicks. Yeah, there's a market for gimmicks, but it's evidently not as big as Stillitano and that idiot Georgio Chinaglia thought it was. Frankly, the reason why so many of us hate(ed) CW is because they cut out MLS. If Bayern Munich, etc came here and played a few matches against MLS competition. I think our attitudes would be different. But that's not what happened.

Finally, when you say that these clubs' reserve sides would crush an MLS "team" you're familiar, right, with MLS' record against visiting European sides? It's not too shabby. Sure, they were "meaningless exhibitions" but, then again, so were the CW matches. Which was part of the problem, if you ask me.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What do you want 'em to do. Knock on your door and take you in a private air jet to an MLS game?

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure they "cut out" MLS. I'm not sure all MLS teams wanted to play international friendlies during their season. The lack of depth is a huge concern and then there is the Franchino-Leonard rules to be condsidered.

Maybe in a couple of years when we have a much deeper rosters we can see MLS v Euro stars games, but probably not for a couple of years.

I can only imagine Barcelona v Revolution..."Franchino goes for a tackle, and Ronaldinho's legs are broken...oh my, the horror. The blood, the money"

;)

25. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I used to get angry at comments like this. Now I just realize that people are missing out. People that enjoy soccer, that love to watch good games and that wish they could see "good" soccer live, who have no concept of the fact that they can go to an MLS game and see quality soccer.

I have several friends from Europe: Bulgarian, English, French, and Spanish, and they often poo-pooed going to MLS games. Over time, though, as I convinced them to go to a game here or there, they've come to enjoy it. And all of them, while still agreeing that European soccer is better (which it is at the highest level), prefer to go to a game, see it live and learn about players that they see, meet, and talk to and teams they have a physical connection to.

You can either choose to live your soccer life dreaming of the past or that future expensive trip to Wembley, rooting for a national team that you have no cultural connection to, wishing you could go to the Nou Camp, San Siro or Stamford Bridge every Saturday, and following religiously on a TV and the Internet.

Or you can take advantage of seeing the game live, investing your life in the community in which you live, and the culture which you take part in. Anyone who chooses the first path is sorely missing out, no matter the perceived difference in talent between here and there.