Championship match advance observations

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 1, 2015.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    American fans should want Japan in the final. Which would mean more, avenging 2011 or re-hashing the Revolutionary War?

If Japan wins, with the game being shown in prime time on Fox at 6 pm on Sunday on a holiday weekend, one has to ask if there is there a chance that the 40MM+ viewers record for the 1999 final gets eclipsed (I know there are recent articles claiming only 17 million, but the contemporaneous accounts in 1999 put the number at 40 million, and I accord a contemporaneous account more evidentiary value).

With Johnston, Brian and Klingenberg giving world-class stud performances, and with their youth, the future of this team is looking bright.

Abby Wambach can still play soccer. Note that when she came on, she was able to trap and control balls, settle balls, make threaded passes to open teammates and secure the ball. Remember, it was her skill with the ball in the corner that ultimately led to the flow of events from the sensible pass by her back to Klingenberg, to Klingenberg's terrific run and threaded pass to Lloyd, to Lloyd's spectacular move to beat the German defender and get the ball crossed, to Kung Fu O'Hara's finish for the goal. Perhaps she does not start on Sunday, but she has to be someone to be used in the second half, at least in part, whether ahead or behind.

The USA is going to win on Sunday. The defense is not going to concede a goal. Somehow the offense will get at least one. That translates into a USA win. Just a prediction, but one that feels positive.

2. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Japan, so we can get revenge. Im sure tat the match can get at least 20 mil and eclipse the usa-portugal game from last year.

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    But isn't that was most of her critics have been saying for over a year now? she make an excellent supersub for the last 20-30 minutes or so, because against tired opponents that she is is a bit slower than in her prime will not matter.
    Start her and that will matter.

4. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I was simply noting that, when on the pitch, Wambach can play, and she is more than just a header target. Her best role for the final is likely going to be in closing out the last half hour, as you note.

Can you imagine how badly she wants this now?

5. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 PacmanJr_00, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    RE: the defense, I am a bit concerned for the amount of space Germany was provided when switching play. It will require a bit more discipline when the defense shifts but that could create gaps in the middle as well.

If we play Japan, they will be more patient in possession than Germany. I think we stick with the same strategy and make Japan defense play to the wide players, sit back and clog the middle. Our midfielders can't fall asleep though because Japan's CMs will work harder to get open than Germany did.

If we play England, in our current two game form, I will have zero worries about losing. We win, easy. However, we can't get into England's physical, direct game as we did in the friendly and against Sweden.

I keep the same lineup but start O'Hara for Heath.

Wish Krieger would be more confident in attack.

Hope Johnston's confidence recovers from the foul.

6. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    this is the 423rd time i've gotten the sense that people think kling is in her young 20s, like 22-24. she turns 27 a month from now. same age as heath and o'hara. she's not young, she's in her prime.

but yes, i want japan too.

PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I will be cheering for England, no where else does a bigger 'business' off of 'fit-bah'. By way of example most Yanks automatically give double the credibility to a coach or commentator if they have an English accent (not saying it's right -- it just is). German accents count too but not as much, Spanish comes in third, -- but I wouldn't recognize a Japanese accent and think soccer even after two weeks with a Rosetta Stone tape. ;>)
    Scores are already settled with Japan; we like them, they like us (as much as any global power does) and their posters are nice here. They (Japan) could frustrate us but we would likely win, England will make for a wide open 'showcase' match and the maximum, record-breaking, television numbers. Secondarily Germany v. Japan will be a great match as well if both teams play like it means something.
    England thinks they can win the World Cup (?) show it tonight and bring it on Sunday -- we'll see you there.

hedur repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think she is young for a starting defender. I think she will be in her prime next time around but the 30s fall-off happens at different points for different people. I think Krieger was much better in 2011. I think Lloyd is much better than she was in 2011. Solo is a (?) Wambach is close to done and has clearly lost two steps. Sauerbrunn can't get better. She is at her peak but might still be around next rodeo in a reduced role. O'Hara is clearly in her prime. O'Reilly is clearly past hers. I think the perfect age for a defender is 30 and for a outside player or forward is 27 and this goes for men's and women's sports.

9. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I don't care who we play.

I like the fact that we have shown different formations and different personnel - making preparing for us very, very difficult. The lineup we used yesterday was my favorite and I think makes the most sense to start with (assuming everyone is recovered and four days should do that you would hope). We also have one more day of rest than our opponent, but that is mitigated a bit by the need for a lot longer/farther to travel.

10. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I am stunned by the impact and frequency of officiating errors in the late stages of this WWC!

I have never seen anything like this at such a high level of play:

I don't think Johnston (US-Germany) was a foul (people can argue that one... PK Germany).
    Foul on Morgan was clearly outside the box (goal US).
    Foul against England was clearly outside the box (goal Japan).
    Foul against Japan was clearly a dive (goal England).

That is three goals awarded (plus a missed PK) all in semi-final matches, from officiating errors. Anyone can make a mistake (eg, "the hand of God..."), but so many, at such a high level? Ouch!

FawcettFan14 repped this.
  11. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Well, OMG! You just can't make this stuff up! Japan advances. The good news is, I didn't see much to worry the US side.

The bad news is, you just don't see this kinda football at this level in the men's game. I'm sure this is a shattering moment for Bassett and for the England squad (who had the run of play and should have scored and probably would have won in extra time if they continued to execute), but that is not what everyone will remember-- this is an unfortunate moment and a dark image for the women's game-- this makes the Chastain/Scurry muck-about of '99 look like high art. I would like to express some sympathy for Bassett, but honest to God, you just don't make that sort of mistake at this level! It makes the whole women's game look bad. Very awkward and unfortunate.

On to Vancouver! If the US can't whip this Japan squad, a number of ladies should hang up their boots!

12. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    we will see if the US pressing disrupts Japan.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    If Japan win the World Cup it will be an utterly astonishing achievement, given the way they've played.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone notice -- I think this is correct -- that the two teams with the highest average age are playing for the championship?

kennytt repped this.
  15. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, experience counts...

exref repped this.
  16. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Abby start? She wants this so much to avenge for the loss 4 years ago and so if she starts, she has to promise to retire immediately after this game. If we lose, we can still blame her...:)

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I think she wants to win more than she wants to start. Same role for here as in the Germany game.

Gilmoy, McSkillz, exref and 2 others repped this.
  18. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    My feeling is that the US cannot play they way England played today. The US can bring way more speed and way more physicality, but not the midfield defensive organization that England brought. It should be a fun final to watch.

19. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Really ? Really????

Tsunami repped this.
  20. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks for pointing out that men sometimes choke in big moments as well. You could also add the ball deflecting off the English player on a German free kick in the 1990 semifinal that allowed Germany to win on PKs and the ball that slipped through the hands of French goalkeeper Joel Batts in the 1986 semifinal that allowed Germany to go to the final.

21. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    And who will EVER forget:

Tsunami, McSkillz and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Turned out catching a ball isn't so EASY.

[​IMG]

23. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anders Escobar, World Cup 1994 -- famous own goal leads to Colombia losing to the USA.

Tsunami repped this.
  24. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    And we know what tragically happened to him. I expect Bassett to avoid such a fate, and hope she does avoid it!!

25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    The own goal actually had very little to do with why he was killed