Championship Final: Indy @ New York Cosmos

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by jeffcoop, Nov 12, 2016.

1. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is it, the ultimate game, what the team has been working toward all season. Indy has a terrific match last Saturday, taking the game to to the defensive-minded Eddies, but they'll likely alter their approach against the high-flying Cosmos. That said, I think simply sitting aback, absorbing pressure, and hoping to strike on the counter would be a mistake. Indy has shown that it can succeed with a more proactive approach (and, as we saw a number of times in the fall, that attempting to absorb pressure doesn't necessarily work).

Because the Cosmos, all pretenses to the contrary notwithstanding, are a distinctly minor league operation, the final will be played in a small college soccer stadium in Queens. It's hard to know what the atmosphere will be like: the stadium is likely to be full, but the overall numbers will be so low that it can't help but affect the vibe within the ground. Regardless, it's a road game, and Indy has struggled all year (and especially in the fall season, when they went 1W-3D-7L) on the road. The Cosmos, on the other hand, have been nearly untouchable at home (14W-2D-0L, including a 3-0 walloping of Indy on August 31), and if this isn't a conventional home game for the Cosmos, they still appear to have a distinct advantage.

There's no question that Indy is capable of winning, though. It will just require another total team effort.

BTL97 repped this.
  2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    To be frank, a lot of what goes into the Cosmos home field advantage is the turf at Hofstra. Simply there is no other turf in the NASL similar. Take that away, and I think you see a different Cosmos home team.

jeffcoop and BTL97 repped this.
  3. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you guys watching the game?

4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the CBS Sports Network at home. I'll be recording the game as I have to be out for a bit.

5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I'm at my sister's she has CBS Sports.

6. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks for me, I'm gonna have to find a stream online somewhere.

The One X repped this.
  7. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    They'll probably have it on at Chatham Tap if you are willing to travel to one?

BTL97 repped this.
  8. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's gotta be a stream somewhere. I don't have time to go somewhere, plus I'm not 21 anyway.

9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Well it will most likely have to be an illegal stream.

10. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I got one, damn NASL giving me one option.

11. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp my stream died :(

12. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Sad day. 0-0 at half.

13. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I feel like whenever there is a deflection it always goes directly to a Cosmos playing. It's getting annoying.

14. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bit of a sleeper for the Championship, hopefully this last 15 minutes will make up for it

15. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
  17. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heartbreaking loss. I could t start watching until around 8:30 and manages to avoid learning the result until I reached the end of the recording on my DVR. Indy did we hat I'd hoped they would do: they came out on the front foot and created a number of good chances; they just couldn't put anything away. Don Smart was brilliant until he came off. Mares, on the other hand, was anonymous and was rightly subbed off at the half.

I hate penalty kicks as a way of determining a winner. I always have. They seem so random. I know they have to do something to determine a winner, and I don't have a better solution (the old NASL shootout wasn't really any better). But I do hate it.

BTL97 repped this.
  19. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A second leg in Indy would've been nice. But they won fair and square, so no point in debating it. We'll get em next year (provided there is a next year...)

20. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Congratulations on a great game, you guys came to play. Didn't see the usual bunkering down waiting for a counter, a couple of inches here and there and you would have had it. Very good team, I liked the style of play. The supporters were good as well, added a new flavor to the game. Penalties are not the right way to end a final, someone had to win and it was our luck to take the trophy. Hope our league survives and we're able to see you again. Better luck next time, though not against the Cosmos.

jeffcoop and BTL97 repped this.
  21. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    you can't expect to win if you don't put your penalties on target. bummer.

22. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah, I am in the camp thinking we won't have another season in the NASL.

The worst part is that... even in a tiny venue... THEY DIDN'T EVEN SELL OUT!!!

How in the hell is that possible?! Yes, it's Queens, but it's not like Queens is Siberia. I got a feeling the Cosmos did not advertise this matchup as hard as they should have.

BTL97 and jeffcoop repped this.
  23. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, a distinctly minor league operation.

Ricecake, JDogindy and The One X repped this.
  24. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always have such a love/hate reaction when the Cosmos fail in any endeavor. On one hand, it sucks to see an NASL club not meet it's expectations, but on the other, it's oh so sweet to see the supposed club bigger than the league (that's only that way because it's piggybacking off of forced history) get a reality check. Not talking about their players or play on the field, they deserved the win, but this stadium situation for their own championship final should be humbling for them going forward, if the club continues.

jeffcoop and JDogindy repped this.