PBP: Champions League - Round of 8, First Leg - Juventus v. FC Barcelona - 11 April 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How are people still blaming MATS for anything? The team played poorly again, I can't believe I'm saying this but maybe we should see if we can get Pep to coach our away European ties :D
    What sucks is that if we get a penalty in the return match, people will continue to chant "UEFAlona" despite the fact that one of the most obvious time to allow a goal was Bojan's last minute equalizer against Inter that was called back. Anyhow this team is too inconsistent with no real good midfield to win any knockout rounds. Unacceptable to lose 7-0 in the last two away matches.

As for the Bayern match, well either Bayern are a few notches down from the Pep teams, or they don't get tested as often. Martinez should not have made that challenge.

2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Ask @Dhajj and he will tell you that this Bayern are a veritable well-oiled machine compared to the Pep Bayern team who we happily rolled 0-4 at their home. Ancelotti has trained their defence well since those dark days.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The first yellow there was as much contact with Ronaldo as there was with Suarez vs PSG. He crumbled like a house of cards. @5:20 ... when Neymar or Suarez go down like that there are 2 pages of upheaval in your forum.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You happily rolled over that Bayern because of two early 2 set piece header goals that decided the tie. You weren't really rolling over them creating scoring chances at home or before those goals.

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Let's also not forget Müllers alone on goal that was wrongly called off for offside.. LPB shouldn't be worried, Perez is still using his skills.

6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know I'm biased and a juve fan. But how can you downplay how great a game juve played. Care to share what aspects of our game we could have improved on?

7. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Juve played great but it was cause Barca played terrible, absolutely rubbish especially in defense.. Just like PSG game. Dybala was left unmarked and alone twice as well as Mascherano was very clumsy on the Chielini goal. Your defense was great and Buffon made amazing saves. You capitulated on Barça woeful tactics and lineup, it doesn't mean that Juve was out if this world. That's all I'm saying.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There were many mistakes on many games in the first leg. Off the top of my head, Juve should have had a 4th goal which was incorrectly called offsides, their hand ball probably should have been a PK, Mandjukic probably should have gotten a 2nd yellow, the foul on Barca was in the box not outside, Bayern's PK was iffy, I can't tell myself if it was arm or chest (RM didn't end up paying for it though), the offsides on Bayern you mentioned, Atletico's PK was outside the box.

Did not watch Monaco BVB game.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Monaco's first goal was clearly offside.

celito repped this.
  10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And there was a foul before the 2nd

11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

If you look through all games objectively the majority will most likely be decided by wrong decisions from the referee. It's actually absurd how much is influenced by refs and bad calls.

celito repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't watch every match, but to me the current Bayern team relies more heavily on Lewa. Actually I don't think Lewa had arrived yet when you wrecked them 0-4, but at least they had other good strikers. This season that's the one position where there is really no replacement. Muller is having a bad year.

You have to use the world's biggest telescope to notice any improvement this season compared to Pep's years at Bayern.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They influence some games but I suspect its fewer than you think. And how do you decide if a game was decided by wrong decisions? Without the offside Monaco goal, it maybe still finishes 2-2 and Monaco would be in great shape and most likely advance anyway.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think Barca are very consistent lately. Play like crap every single match! The strength and performance of their opponents varies greatly from Juve to Granada, hence the results vary significantly. But from a Barca performance POV they are rock solid consistent!

15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I meant fotball in general.. Yesterday ManU got a lucky goal, handball wasn't called on Herrera just before his assist.It's not just in CL, it happens weekends in weekends out.. CL, EL Euro, WC... Fairplay?! Please! The use of technology is so so slow when these old senile conservative morons are in charge.

Referees are part of the game but rarely suffer as much as the teams or players, they are overprotected which is absolutely wrong, something must change.

16. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well last night's game proved to be one more of those games.