PBP: Champions League - Round of 16, Second Leg - FC Barcelona v. Paris Saint Germain - 8 March 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Mar 6, 2017.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd still be happy with a La Liga title ... bonus for RM not winning the CL. CL competition is strong this year .

2. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Guys, there is no triplets talk.my hope for this season is just a copa win but the game has kicked the while team from any kind of slumber,now all that they should do is just fly.

I love Suarez,crazy guy but also having a kind kf animal spirit which is matched by very few people like diego costa.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Seriously though, if Barca lose to Alaves in the CdR final they better win the other two just to save face. :unsure: If they beat Alaves I'll be more than happy with 1 out of the other 2.

4. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And what's funny about this not many PSG/french fans are complaining about the decisions. It's predominantly Real fans with some United fans. I think what happened on Wednesday probably moved more feelings than when their own team won the UCL last year. Serious. Just lmao at the salt

condor11, jfcule, unclesox and 1 other person repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Real fans I can understand being bitter. United fans though, wtf? Is it because they have been irrelevant since Ronaldo left that club such that they have to vigorously support Ronaldo's current team to feed their appetite for glory?

6. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I fond it funny that fans of teams who were helped in CL finals do that. Rooney was offside vs Barca and so was Ramos. Fans of 2 teams who were helped in the final complain about others. It's espcially funny regarding ManU fans because Liverpool fans have always accused Manchester United of being helped. Of course the scoursers are a bunch of idiots who believe idiotic conspiracies. Irony is lost on them

But I get it, Barca have won 2 CL from them. They can't really complain about the refs in those games so they are bitter by proxy

unclesox and BocaFan repped this.
  7. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Word 'Barcelona' hit a new record of searches on Google after Barca's win v PSG. It hadn't drawn so much interest since 2004 [google trends]

840188711476293632 is not a valid tweet id

840166793079619584 is not a valid tweet id

839984541976670209 is not a valid tweet id

839982738467893248 is not a valid tweet id

Bootsy Collins, condor11 and ShortyMac repped this.
  9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I have watched those last nine minutes in 10 different languages now [emoji23]

Anyone else felt like Chelsea and Torres creepy moment when Arda lost the ball there? [emoji33]

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "Moshmunka! Moshmunka! Moshmunka, Moshmunka, Moshmunka!" :D:p Whatever that word/phrase means (and however it's actually spelled), it must be important.

Gilmango repped this.
  12. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Moshmomkin (مش ممكن), means unbelievable. He's a Tunisian commentator who's a madridista but is a fair commentator.

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wasn't too far off :whistling:

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar posted this on social media, purportedly trolling Di Maria who shushed the Camp Nou after Cavani scored.

[​IMG]

puyol, condor11 and bronx_bull repped this.
  15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That card was probably Busi's only blemish on an otherwise impeccable performance. I just re-watched the match, and kept an eye on him especially. He was absolutely dominant. Vintage Biscuit. The interceptions, the calm tackles, the spins out of danger, the pinpoint passes. He did the work of 3 players.

16. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The keys to that call were that (1) Marquinhos was not following the ball at all, only Luis, and (2) he let Luis get goal-side. Any contact in that situation is putting yourself at the mercy of the ref. Brave call, and the right call.

Most refs wouldn't give it simply because they get in their mind this notion that it's the end of a tense match and they don't want to influence the result unless it's a super-duper absolutely murderously obvious call. And their cowardice allows the defenders to get all that much more aggressive and/or tricky. Marquinhos was in a desperate spot, he took a risk trying to throw off Suarez with some contact, assuming the ref would let it go for the above reason. He assumed wrong.

Gilmango repped this.
  17. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #393 Gilmango, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Watching the RAC1 replay above made me look for this. Now I am not saying I don't want us to sign a real RB and keep Roberto as a great utility midfielder (or as Busi's primary backup) but please let's kill the Aurier to Barca rumors. He is the RB for PSG (which has two decent RBs so might sell one) who was guarding Roberto on the final goal. This is funny:
    https://www.trollfootball.me/videos/view/serge-auriers-fantastic-defending-against-sergi-roberto

Just two of many Aurier to Barca rumors: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rge-aurier-rumours-at-start-of-january-window

http://www.sport-english.com/en/new...s-serge-aurier-says-barcelona-for-now-5747879

inswinger repped this.
  19. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    840463882720301057 is not a valid tweet id

How is this not a PK??
    Looked like a stonewall PK live.
    LPB media carefully choose pictures to post, video doesn't lie.

illusion repped this.
  20. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great article

http://www.eurosport.com/football/c...alousy-and-sour-grapes_sto6088259/story.shtml

Criticism of Luis Suarez and Barcelona reeks of bitter jealousy and sour grapes

- "Defenders are checking, blocking, holding, grappling, using force to foul their opponents and too often referees are allowing it to take place..it's blatant fouling and deserves punishment. If you are obsessed more with stopping your opponent than winning the ball, that cannot be right."

-Before the referee blew for the penalty, Marquinhos was looking at Suarez and not the ball. Whether or not there was enough to go down is a moot point, but the fact that the PSG defender made contact with Suarez leaves the decision open to interpretation.

It gave the referee a decision to make, and in real time he saw it as a penalty. The assistant line judges behind the goal did not disagree.

-What goes around comes around. A few weeks ago, the Barcelona defender Gerard Pique berated a referee for awarding Real Madrid a contentious penalty in a 3-2 win at Villarreal.
    "We already know about Pique's world, where everything's a plot against him," said the Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos.

-There is also the issue of personal interest attached to some of the hysterical criticism of Barcelona being part of some shadowy conspiracy theory. If Suarez had been playing for Liverpool and this had occurred against Manchester United in the closing moments, would the Liverpool fans care?
    Of course not. If Suarez is playing for your club, you would only be viewing the match through large Luis Suarez-loving glasses.

- In the heat of the moment, a great team will play on the edge to try to turn the match in their favour. Which is what Barcelona did on Wednesday. If PSG had made it through, they would have been treated like returning heroes, but they were not good enough because they self-imploded.

Yet there seems to be plenty of bitter jealousy out there in traditional and social media towards Barcelona because they are a supreme side. Suggesting the referee wanted Barcelona to win is nonsense. They were guilty of nothing greater than gamesmanship.

Barca deserve all the plaudits for their insatiable appetite to win. It was not only a moment in sport, it was a moment in time.

It deserves proper respect and recognition, not to be confronted by bitterness, paranoia and claims of hyperbole enveloping the win which ironically are also hyperbole.

Yet it sums up the times in which we live when such remarkable success is treated like wrongdoing.

jfcule repped this.
  21. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Without doubts 100% penalty kick and red for Marquinhos

You post this at Real's forum and still, people there will come up with odd excuses!

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did this just to be mean to me, didn't you? :)

unclesox repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    To be fair contracts mean nothing these days .

West Ham signed Payet on a "long term deal' and paid him a £1 million LOYALTY bonus ......then he beggered off to France a few weeks later .

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic, but: one interesting thing to me about that last graphic is how many of the matches in that list are EPL matches. No entries for Barca-Sevilla or Bayern-Dortmund or Juve-Napoli. It shows how thoroughly the Premier League has captured worldwide attention compared to other leagues.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That FFW video makes that arm contact look more than it was. Ha.