Champions League: Quarter-finals [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by FNU, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Manu to go trough tomorrow. and the other game is still a toss up of who is the less shittier. I'm hoping for more white handkerchiefs on the camp nou :D

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where are those guys (have forgotten their names:) who always mentioned what a poor team Liverpool is? :rolleyes::p

Somehow I'm missing them lately...

Buona notte.

3. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I was actually hoping for Fenerbahce to go through since now we have another Chelsea and Liverpool match plus it would have been nice to see an underdog. I mean there is still Roma and Schalke tomorrow but I mean it would really mean a underdog performance. Oh well I'm impressed by Fenerbahce performance seeing how they did good throughout the tournament, and I would say I enjoyed watching them greatly.

4. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have to take a couple 'sick days' from school to watch us vs. Liverpool, it should be great. I missed our game today, but I am elated that we are getting on the right track. Congrats to Liverpool on beating Arsenal. You guys have Europe figured out, and it makes me wonder why you can't do the same in the league you have the talent to at least contend.
    I am predicting that Schalke give Barcelona a run for their money, but I can't see them winning. Barca, even with their injuries, is a classy team and I can't see them not at least getting a draw in Germany.
    Man United already has Roma beaten. This should be a walkover at Old Trafford with United winning 3-0 at least. I hope for my teams chances in the league's sake that Roma make a bloodbath of it though and injure as many of them as they can. :cool:

I can see us winning the CL this year, though. The only thing that stands in our way is our manager. He is awfully lucky though.

5. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    2nd leg is at camp nou tomorrow.

6. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :confused: Barca already beat Schalke in Germany 1-0. Tomorrows game is in Barcelona. :confused:

7. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry messed up. Don't know what I was thinking. Spring break syndrome I tell ya. :eek:

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Sagna was healthy Senderos never sees the pitch. And seeing as how he was the culprit behind Pool's first three goals...

Add in van Persie's injury, da Silva's absence and then losing Flamini today (which turned the tide for Liverpool), and it's painfully obvious Arsenal lost this largely through the absence of so many first choice players.

Hats off to Pool for doing what needed to be done, though.

9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    agreed.

which is why i said they needed a better reserve centre back than senderos.

still, the two penalty calls over both legs ended up being pivotal to the final result.

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When are penalties not pivotal to the final result?

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    well both weren't given where they?

if arsenal had been given the penalty that was merited in the first leg then they would have gone into the match with a lead to defend. things could have been different.

that's why i said 'penalty calls' not penalties. ;)

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I must have missed that :eek: (or you edited it in :D).

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What's amazing is that the ref gave the yellow card to the wrong player. Cesc was the one holding Babel back. Toure didn't do anything to warrant a yellow. Not that it matters i guess, but it doesn't really say much for the officiating when they call a foul yet can't even pick-out the correct player who committed it. :confused:

Who does Madrid play tomorrow? Oh right, the round of 16 was last month. Nevermind...

14. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I was a Liverpool fan, now I'm a former UEFA fan.

I'm embarrassed for all Liverpool fans, and the officials for UEFA. To win a game like that on such a poor penalty call is beyond acceptable. Obviously the Babel goal came because of Arsenal pushing up, so that's moot.

The Beautiful Game has taken a serious blow around the world when Champions League play is so devalued.

I'm so ashamed.

15. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Thread's hit the post limit, I'll open up another one to take us through tonights round of games

Thread Closed