Rumor: Chad Marshall to Argentina?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FloridaFC2MLS, Jun 26, 2011.

1. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is in the MLS Rumors section of BigSoccer... thought I would post it here to see what people think, It would be detrimental to his future US National Team chances and probably will never happen, but I found it interesting nonetheless....

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1764260

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Doesn't seem likely to Gimnasia.

Argentine clubs don't buy a lot and, when they do, they shop locally.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain exactly how it would harm his Nats chances? If Giminasia would relegated, yes it would be but the Premira Division is hardly a league to turn your nose up to. It's a quality packed league perfectly mixed with youngsters and vets and it could argued if it's the best league in South America behind Brazil. Smaller clubs like Giminasia have fared really well in the league recently and have, to some degree, taken over the reigns from the Big Boys like Boca, River Plate, Estudientes Indepediente, Etc. Don't dismiss the league because it's not Europe or Mexico.

Now as to the actual rumor, their President "described" Marshall and mentioned Schelotto recommended him. Says a great deal about Schelotto's pull. There might be something more but chances are likely nothing will come of it. Chad just might be a player of interest.

4. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, he is already out of favor and moving to a country where very few people can actually see him play is certainly difficult for bradley or whoever is manager if USSF is looking into a new manager
    its not an insult to the argentine league... if he does great down there and they win a title or something, I could see him getting a call, but otherwise you probably wouldnt see him in the US picture anymore and many already see him out of it

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Argentine league is easily accessible in terms of travel there and via TV. Hell, Bradley mentioned a few months back he kept tabs on many of our players thru streaming on the internet. Believe me, if Chad came back into US fold or either exited the pool altogether it would be because of his play not because it would be difficult to scout him.

6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your kind of missing my point, if he goes down there and remains on the same form that he is now and does average there like he does here, no USA manager is going to take his time out to scout that player...

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National team talk in the national team forum, please, guys.

8. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um no. You can be average in MLS and average in Argentina. Guess which one is more impressive?

I like this idea, we need more guys to go down further south than just mexico

9. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina... its not the great league it once was, River Plate being relegated is sort of testament to that. Its dumb saying one league is a little bit better than the other, but thats the case here (Argentina being the better). There isnt any big gap in talent here...In the Crews case yes because they are certainly stuck in MLS v1 however. I just dont see him doing any better there and he hasnt been anymore than average in MLS since coming back from injury...

10. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the Argentine Primera Division these days, as I see it, is that the clubs are so poorly managed and are bleeding money so badly that they are forced to sell the promising young talent a couple of years earlier than they used to. Look at Pastore, etc. You mention River as well - Erik Lamela is as good as gone, especially since they got relegated, because they need every bit of cash to merely stay afloat. Poor management has hurt the league, too, like overpaying guys like Ortega and Riquelme to come back, while they drink their career away or are just locker room cancers. The front offices are stuck in the idea of overpaying their old-school and just plain old Argentine, foot-on-the-ball #10s and are letting the actual young, exciting attacking talent leave way too soon and for way too little cash just to keep the lights on.

End rant. It's just so terrible because I used to watch a lot of Primera and now it's just kind of depressing.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I blame Max Bretos. It hasn't been the same watching Argentine football since Max left for The Four Letter Word.

12. ToffeeCrew

ToffeeCrew Member

Feb 11, 2000
    inches from insanity
    I haven't seen the highlights or games on Fox Soccer for a while... am I just missing it?

13. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    wouldn't that make the viewing experience exponentially better then? ;) different strokes for different folks, I guess.

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This an interesting rumor.....

I wouldnt mind seeing him in Argentina. It would most certainly help him techincally. They;d servicehim well over there too on FKs.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Seltzer reported in his blog that interest in Marshall from Gimnasia is a surprise to both him and Columbus.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Argentina either.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, he ain't going to Gymnasia now.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Too bad for Guille.

18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Yes Argentina is such a backwater locale it's hard to imagine a US coach being able to get down there to watch him or see videos. Our coaches manage to keep up with the Scandinavian players just fine. Oh and don't forget Eugene Starikov who plays in SIBERIA a place so out of the way it's used in cliches to describe out of the way places, yet he was called in to a Nats camp.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Its easy to keep up with games down there, TONS of internet streams, and there is TyC on Direct tv that shows ALOT of games too.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gymnasia was relegated yesterday after a two leg play-off loss.

And Gulle is retiring anyway.

21. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really missed what I was saying...
    It is unlikely any US coach would go out of their way to keep tabs on him if he does average at best in Argentina. Yea, no shit you can see him play but my point was he would be better off in MLS because of how simple it is to watch MLS players every Saturday night. Gimnasia was relegated anyways so this isnt going to happen.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He said in the past like couple months back he may consider the job for gimnasia if the time came.....

Gallardo retired and is going into being the next coach of Nacional after his move from river to Nacional, Almeyda from River I think is going to be their next coach.... Maybe Guille for Gimnasia in the second division? :eek:

Maybe he'll tap into his american connection and bring some yanks to help? All speculation on my part though. :p

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Dude, this doesn't make sense at all. MLS to Argentina (top division, of course) is a big step up.

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    !!! Exactly!!!

25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS to Argentina is not a "big" step up 1st of all. Even if it was a "big step up" you really think Marshall would do well? He has been quite average since injury as I have already said in MLS.