Celtic Offseason Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, May 27, 2005.

1. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
  2. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Niemi for Celtic?

Hmmm I will be completly honest I do not know much about Niemi but isn't he in his 30's and allow over 30 goals in the EPL? I am not seeing that as a step up but I hope I am proved wrong. I guess he would be a good tutor for Marshall. :cool:

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland

Neimi has been one of the best 'keepers in the EPL for the past few seasons.

'Outstanding Finnish goalkeeper signed from Hearts in August 2002. Established himself as one of Scottish football's top shot-stoppers following a previous spell at Rangers. Capable of breathtaking saves and performed heroics for Finland in a World Cup qualifier in 2001 - shutting out Germany to seal England's place in the finals. One of the most respected keepers in the Barclays Premiership. ' - from http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=enPlayerProfile&playerId=32675

'His missed the start of the 2003/04 season, but returned in October to establish himself as arguably the best goalkeeper in the Premiership'. - from http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=6704&cc=5739

He used to play for Rangers, then Hearts. He is the best shot stopper in the world IMO.

Celtic would be VERY lucky to have him.

4. coatsy

coatsy Member

Nov 20, 2003
    copland rear

nonsense,until his injury klos was the best shot stopper.niemi is a good keeper but that's all.he's not top drawer.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland

Neimi is much better than the overrated Klos.

6. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004

Hear,Hear....Although Neimi's age is something to question at this point.
    Where are Celtic headed and what are their long and short term goals.
    GS is not going to be at Celtic Park long as manager, just holding it till
    MON comesback, nothing against GS but his record as a manager does
    not fill me with confidence.

7. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Quite simply,No, 4-5 year ago we would have been talkin.

8. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Can't see him going to Celtic, He'd want to stay in the premiership to keep playing at the highest level, Mabey Arsenal or Man Utd could do with him, Celtic for me would be a step down on footballing terms.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

The reason he allowed that many goals is he had a PATHETIC, relegated bound side in front of him. He is a damn fine keeper who will stay in the EPL or another top flight league.

10. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

No he is a good reflex keeper, same as he was at hearts, still lets in a shitload of goals tho.

That said id have been happy to take him when he was leaving hearts and linked with us, now with a defence needing rebuilt infront of him david marshall would be my first pick keeper for celtic. It could be argued Marshall has performed sensationally in bigger games at almost 15 years younger.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

Changed this thread's name so we can keep all Celtic transfer talk in one convenient and sticky location

12. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I honestly don't think that Klos is overrated, but I think the two keepers are on level terms (although Klos has dodgy kicking!).

13. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now

Bobo is going to Bayren on a free.

Robbie Keane has asked us to sign him. Too expensive though.

14. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bobo going on a free? I do not understand why a club would offer a multi year deal to a player and then let a clause like this be accepted? Why offer the player the contract in the first place give him a rolling contract. I would make Bayern loan out or sign a young prospect who is trying to break into first team ball. A defender preferably. Robbie Keane in a Hoops jersey sounds great but I think you are correct in saying that we could not afford him. I mean it would be great to have either Keane or Bellamy but not at the expense of replenshing the rest of the team. We have a strong core of stirkers in John, Chris, Craig, and Shaun.

15. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Balde hasn't had the best of season and will move on IMO.

Robbie Keane is a BIG possiblilty, He likes Strachan and Celtic, he is being forced out by Spurs and Strachan would want him. £5 million would do it, will they pay that? 50/50 IMO, i'm not sure either way.

One thing is for sure, Celtic need defenders, Bobo and Joos will be gone. A left back and at least one centre half is needed. Kennedy will be back around Xmas which will help.

Sutton will miss many games through injury in the com ing season, Lennon will not be as good if he stays. Changes are needed and look out for players Strachan has already worked with. Neimi and Keane already being mentioned, Bellamy also possible but unlikely, Phillips and Lundekvam being possible and also look out for McFadden speculation.

16. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
  18. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    GS is looking at retaining Bellamy? What do you think his chances are? Keane is another possiability. Also rumors that GS wants to bring Phillips to Parkhead. Any thoughts? Another rumor is McFadden. Who in your eyes is a better fit @ the Old Firm if Bellamy & Keane do not pan out? McFadden or Phillips?
    :cool:

19. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
  20. footballkings redded

May 31, 2005
    The chances of keeping Bellamy is not to great, but that was to be expected on a loan deal.He want to play in the Epl for a contender. I doubt Celtic could afford the 5-7 million rerquired to get Bellamy .

21. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Riordan has been linked with Celtic today. I tend to think that more a Riordan or McFadden is needed at Celtic more than Phillips. I think any of them would be a success though.

22. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Bellamy seems quite happy at parkhead, seeing him on saturday singing away with a big grin on his mug suggest so, However youre right in that the board wont pony up for him.

Id say Mcfadden is the better fit for celtic too, Boys got his whole career ahead of him and can only get better, Phillips is coming to the end of his, what is he 31 or 32?
    Nah build for the future, and McFadden is celtic daft too.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Let's hope Riordan isn't stupid enough to ruin his career. :rolleyes:

24. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I just don't understand why players want to play for clubs that are a Tier 2 at best? No offence but clubs he has been linked with in the EPL are not going anywhere. There not even going to play in Europe and if he thinks he can change that he is off his rocker. :confused: