Celtic FC 2010/2011 Season Thread- Over and Over

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by allegrabene, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I find the continued persecution complex from Celtic fans to be frankly laughable. Lennon, yet again :)rolleyes:), comes out with an outlandish and highly provocative statement this time about the professionalism of the Hearts team. Of course it was wrong that he was attacked but it was equally wrong of him to say what he did and particularly wrong of him to have several kicks at the guy while he was pinned on the ground. Of course these two things will be completely forgotten in the Celtic clamour for sympathy. One final point. Celtic have no right to complain about a supporter being on the touchline when they cannot even control their own fans and players. I'm looking at you Commons.

Of course Celtic are completely innocent and Lennon has done nothing to deserve this. Plus 'up the ra' has never been sung at Parkhead fraser. Not once.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I'm sure you hold the same views regarding Alex Ferguson then as I'm certain he's made similar accusations. But hey, its Neil Lennon we're talking about here so that's a totally different thing... :rolleyes:

Yes. It was a reaction from a man still in shock at being attacked in a managerial dugout during a football game.

Not following you. Are you commenting on Kris Commons walking to his own supporters after he scored to celebrate a goal that confirmed we would take the title to the last day of the season...? In that case, yes, string him up. Absolutely shocking behaviour...

I've never said the Celtic support is completely innocent and have stated that previously. And yes, Neil Lennon has done nothing that should have his life endangered through viable devices sent in the post intended to maim or kill. Bullets with his name addressed to him and being told by the security forces to treat seriously death threats made against him. Absolutely nothing that Neil Lennon has done deserves that. Nothing.

And frankly, I'm staggered that you think he has. You come across as an intelligent individual but your views on this are completely alien to me.

Dont paraphrase me Teso. I didn't say they have never been sung at Parkhead.

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/theoldfirm/John-Kelly-Scotland39s-Shame-is.6767358.jp?articlepage=1

It is patently flawed to revert to lazy soundbites about the problems of the Old Firm and the west coast when this year we have witnessed the hatred and intolerance transcend these much-maligned borders.

In addition to a politician and a QC - albeit both with Celtic FC connections - receiving letter bombs, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Scotland's most senior Roman Catholic clergyman and an Irish cultural-political organisation have also received bullets and a letter bomb in the post.

This is, of course, in addition to Celtic players Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt - both Northern Irish Catholics - receiving bullets in the post. The choice of targets here is revealing and tells us a lot about the essence of ethno-religious prejudice in Scotland.

A cursory analysis of the targets reveals the common denominators to be one or some of the following combination; high profile Roman Catholic in Scotland, Celtic FC connection, Irish. This hits at the heart of the issue.

Ask yourself this. What current Celtic player is disliked the most by other teams fans? I'd imagine Scott Brown would be high on the list.

So why then do Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn receive bullets in the post...?

Hmmm....

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thats a very broad stroke you've painted there. Seeing as I am a season ticket holder for Celtic I assume I'm a fan who glorifys terrorists then.

Thanks for that...

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Alex Ferguson charged again with improper comments...

What a surprise eh Teso...?

6. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how dare he kick a guy after that person had tried to attack him on the touchline. the nerve of defending himself (back of the bus, timmy).

how dare he make outlandish statements in the press. how dare he be brash, cocky, controversial. he deserves getting his life threatened every day because of this. only ferguson, mourinho, souness can get away with this but not lennon (back of the bus, timmy)

how dare kris commons walk the two steps off the byline and celebrate with his fans. only kenny miller can get away with that when hes already on a yellow card, but not you commons. you get what you deserve (back of the bus, timmy)

you're either on the windup with your take on a guy being attacked live on television while having his life threatened daily, or you're a sick human being. blaming the victim is a sick, enabling mentality that regresses society. we've already condemned the singing of IRA songs by our fans, but that doesn't justify whats going on here. both sides need to cut out certain hymnsheets at the stadiums but there needs to be a greater sense of urgency around the protection of a human life. even if you, in your sick, twisted mind, believe that particular human is getting what he deserves. you can tamp down the sectarian singing and protect Neil Lennon at the same time. why are celtic fans feeling persecuted? because people in scotland/northern ireland are trying to kill our manager and high profile supporters. i think persecution is justified. but some feel that i should get to the back of the bus. its a sick society we live in

7. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Lennon blinks its "highly provcaitive"

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

You'd think it was a joke but there were people calling phone ins complaining because he applauded the fans after the game on Wednesday. HOW DARE HE!!! WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS!!!

Cups his ears to the Rangers support when there are thousands chanting at him "Whats it like to live in fear" and yet there are complaints to the police because of his actions!!

You couldn't make this stuff up.

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    None, they're not.

Of course not. I've clearly stated I think Rangers 'fans' are behind this and the stories in the news would seem to back this up.

I would have preferred Celtic and Rangers to have taken a grown up approach to this a long time ago. Second choice would be a more grown up approach now. Revelling in playing the victims, distancing themselves from any kind of improper behaviour and asking everyone but themselves to sort themselves out is not the most constructive way to end this, IMO.

A few things...
    1) I don't know many other clubs who seem so eager to celebrate their 'heritage' whatever that means. East Fife fans don't wave saltires because they were set up by Scots or for a predominantly Scottish community.
    2) That reads like the kind of platitudes spewed by every club up and down the country. What club isn't going to say they're inclusive etc.
    3) Actions speak louder than written words tucked away in a programme. I'd prefer to see both club come out and admit that they have significant followings (at games and not at games) who are effectively scum and if we want to actually make progress in riddng them from the game and, hopefully, society, the clubs will need to be a lot tougher than they have in the past.

I'm not saying that the majority of OF fans motivated by religious or bigoted reasons. Don;t think I ever have. I don't think you can deny that some are though and neither club does enough to make to harder for these people of make themselves less attractive to to these people. That's what it boils down to, for me.

Not at all. I think it's a problem for our country and for a handful of football clubs, including Celtic. Someone blessing themselves should not incite anger. But I think it's right to question why someone would feel the need to do it, knowing that anger will be incited.

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Of course, conveniently forgotten in all of this is the fact that a sizeable majority of the home support cheered this attack as it happened.

11. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I gave up here....:D

12. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  13. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why are rangers/hearts supporters obsessed with the celtic manager anyway? do you think i give a toss about "coisty" or smith to go on your thread and opine about how they should and shouldn't act. it's an obsession thats villified him to a degree that people want him dead and the press are complicit in this development by fanning the flames so they can sell papers. imagine if there was a story telling SAF that he should go back to the stands. or wenger? or mourinho? ludicruous. but its accepted in scotland because of the culture and the mindset. sickening

14. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What are you talking about? You can reverse it and say the same thing about Celtic fans on boards about Rangers. Personally i don't really care about Lennon. So far he seems like a decent manager. When he did the ear cupping thing i just shook my head to be honest. Not because it offends me but I know there is nutters out there that will take provocation from the action. Lennon knows this. I agree the press have played a part in it as well. But to claim it is just because he is a catholic from NI is not true.

Mourinho has had to deal with his fair share of threats to him as well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...yguard-places-real-on-high-alert-2232736.html

15. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    poor article..

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If the people in the crowd were booing him and nothing else then fair enough but that wasn't the case. The chant being sung was "Whats it like to live in fear". Tasteless to say the least. Neil reacted to it. If he was only being booed then I'd imagine he would have walked off without further incident.

You're a Rangers supporter. Which current Celtic player annoys you the most for his actions? Scott Brown would seem a fairly logical choice. So why didn't he receive bullets in the post? Why were Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn the only players selected...?

17. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It would have been good of him not to react! He's got a family.

Brown's face alone is enough to annoy me! :D Agreed. There is something very sinister about this. It seems to me we are dealing with people who are willing to go to great lengths and hopefully it will stop now those 2 have been arrested?

All in all I will be glad to see the back of this season. It's been an utter shocker with all the crap that has gone on.

18. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm not necessarily saying both are as bad as each other. In fact, I think recent events have shown that an element of the Rangers support is willing to take this much further than the Celtic support. However, I don't think saying 'Well you're not as bad as those guys so you're alright' is acceptable, do you?

If you think the worst Celtic fans ever do is have a wee bit of banter to wind up the opposition then I'm afraid you're mistaken. For example, it's been widely reported that Celtic fans were belting out their IRA songs and fighting with the police on on Wednesday, although not by CFC. To dismiss anything Celtic do is exactly what you've highlighted yourself as being wrong.

You're arguing against an absolute strawman. Nobody here has said that. Stop pretending we are.

Sticking your head in the sand I'm afraid. Celtic have their scumbag element, just as Rangers do.

19. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Of course you did. But then again, you are complete and utter moron.

20. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with this. Every club in every country has a scumbag fan element......No denying that.

.......but then again, out of all the clubs around the world there only seems to be one manager/club that receives bombs/bullets in the mail on a regular basis..

21. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    should be the opposite. if he was only being booed then it would be perfectly fine to react. to react like that in such a serious situation is irresponsible. it only adds more fuel to the fire. lennon needs to be the bigger man and keep quiet.

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He raised his hands to his ears...

23. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    you know personal attacks diminish your argument

24. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    we are dealing with people who send bombs to football managers here.

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Do you even know what the charge relates to? Do you even know what he said? Do you even know what Ancelotti said? It is laughable to say the least but there is one rule when making an example out of Man Utd and another for everyone else. Of course trying to compare what Ferguson said, in praise of a referee, to Lennon's numerous outbursts is pathetic to say the least. It also conclusively proves that you have little grasp of reality.

Anyway...

I decided to post this since fraser obviously overlooked it in his haste to post everything else. The irony of what the defence lawyer stated is not lost on me.