Celtic FC 2010/2011 Season Thread- Over and Over

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by allegrabene, Jun 9, 2010.

1. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure this is as good a time as any to start the thread for the upcoming season. The sooner we can move past last season the better. And now that we have our gaffer we can see what's in front of us.

I personally think the appointment of Lenny is brilliant. He knows the club inside and out. He knows what it means to win and lose in the hoops and puts winning ahead of everything. I'd expect to see some relatively entertaining football when appropriate but the key is going be inspired performances from our players. That's something that was lacking for much of last season. Anyway, now we can move forward and start buying players in earnest, shedding the dead wood, and get ready for the new season which is rapidly approaching. Hail, Hail

So what do you think? Do you like this appointment? Cautiously optimistic? Do ya hate it? Why?

http://www.celticfc.com/news/stories/news_090610125420.aspx

[​IMG]
    lennon: this is a wonderful moment in my life

Mark Henderson
    NEIL LENNON had walked out of the Celtic Park tunnel many times before. But this time was different. It was the early hours of the morning and he had just been confirmed as the new manager of Celtic.

Surveying the 60,000 empty seats under the moonlight, it really began to hit home to the Irishman about the significance of the task he was taking on,and the legendary figures whose footsteps he would be following in.

“It’s a wonderful moment for me and a wonderful moment in my life,” said Lennon, speaking after being unveiled as the new manager.

“Things were concluded pretty late on the other night. I have walked out that tunnel many, many times but when I came walking out on my own, I think it was around half past twelve in the morning and I have never seen Celtic Park like it.

“It was a beautiful night, the only light coming in was from the moon. It was a very special moment to know that I would be in charge of the football club and would be walking in the footsteps of the likes of Mr Stein, Martin O’Neill, Billy McNeil, Dave Hay, Wim Jansen, Tommy Burns and Gordon Strachan.

"It was a very special moment for me personally and I am ready and looking forward to the challenge."

Now the Irishman is relishing the opportunity of emulating some of the success of those pervious incumbents of the Celtic hot-seat – something he did on many occasions as a Hoops player.

The first priority will be making big improvements on the pitch from last year and winning the title. One thing is certain - you can be sure Lennon will make the most of his chance.

“I am confident,” he said. “I think it’s a priority to challenge for the title. I think it is every season. As a player I knew how to get it done and I did it once as a coach, albeit for eight or nine games under Gordon
    Strachan.

“We know last season wasn’t good enough, but the players showed me that they do have it in them. Over the last eight or nine games they showed a level of consistency that maybe they had not shown previously.

"They proved a lot to themselves in the run-in and we can go forward and hopefully carry that optimism through to the start of the season.

“I know that we have to hit the ground running. But I am looking to bring in a few players with a bit more experience and nous, and a better mentality than we showed last year.”

He added: “When I was a young lad, I dreamed of playing for Celtic. I never envisaged myself actually being the manager. I think when I retired and started the coaching badges, the next logical step for me was to go into coaching.

"So it was an ambition of mine. I didn’t expect it to come so soon, but I have to take this opportunity and maximise it as best I can.”

2. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    I can't wait, he seems to have picked some hard working players which I think we have been lacking. Sure we all like that skillful player we hope can turn the tide, but I think we lost a bit of that grit about us, which personally, never bothered me as a supporter.

Now that Neil is here, let's get those buy and selling arrangements in fast track.

Hail Hail, I pray this is the change we have been waiting for.

P.S

I think you stole Frasers thunder creating this thread, it was usually his thing! :D HeHe!

3. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frasers thunder can't be stolen i'm afraid. i've only started this years thread at his request. we're hoping this will be the catalyst that will reverse the fortunes of our beloved celtic this year. lol

4. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Lenny appointment....

He got the most out of last years dissheveled squad. I noticed he wants to add more veterans and players that care.

I like some of the names of the players being thrown around.......

Bullard
    lawrence
    Keane (permanently)
    ledley
    Stokes

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's my comment from another thread.

Amen! ;)

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm optimistic, but not overly so. Nothing is certain in footballing terms.

I've heard it said that Neil's winning run in the league last season didn't matter so much because Rangers were well in front. I disagree. We had to beat teams at the business end of the season when results really matter. We beat both Hibs and Dundee Utd away while both still had a genuine interest in 2nd place. Would we have managed that under other managers...?

Those kind of results show how much he transformed the belief and desire in the squad.

I look forward to seeing the changes he makes before the new season begins.

7. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenny understands the fact that entertaining football is nice to have wherever possible but winning is what really matters. He was here when MON first took over (after much string pulling and waiting and negotiating by MON) and he saw the difference between the regime that proceeded MON, trying to play pretty football vs. MON's focus on doing every small task the best it can be done.

This is how I see his tenure starting off and taking shape. There are so many parallels between the transition from the Barnes era and the transition from the Mowbray era. Many folks point to the fact that Valgaeran and Sutton were brought in and MON just had an eye for talent but it's more than that. The first several games of MON's tenure there was something drastically different amongst the remaining players. Petrov was a completely different player and was proven to be the player we all thought and hoped he'd be when he was bought for the giant sum of 3 mil quid (i think). He got the best out of Petta, McNamara, and Lubo where Barnes could only stand around and watch while those players seemingly did the same. Sure Sutton came in and was great for us but if you recall he had a dreadful year prior to that with Chelsea. He flourished under MON's leadership. Not because MON was a master strategist. Not because he was undisputedly world class. Lenny will do the same with those brought in and those already here.

This isn't a bad team, full of bad players, needing an overhaul. This is a team that needs to begin anew from the ground up by excelling at the smallest of things first and moving on to excelling with the big things later. Adopt the mentality of total excellence over theories of the best way to play. Lenny didn't win 9 league games in a row by accident. The teams we faced during the run in didn't give up and stand aside because they hoped Lenny'd get the job. Lenny got the best out of the team we had and Mogga, as much as I love him as a man, did not.

One of the most recognizable lines in the Celtic Song is, "If you know you're history, it's enough to make your heart go 1-2-3-4" Those who gave WGS pelters for his style of play and demanded that we bring in someone who'd play football like Brazil or Barcelona forgot their history. For if there is one lesson that we've learned from the Barnes era, is that you can't employ that strategy without the quality of players that are found on those teams. Some may call what is found in Scotland to be negative football. But Scottish fitba must more pragmatic because results are vital. Just ask Neil Lennon

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ^

Well said. Somebody rep this man for me.

9. KentuckySoccer

KentuckySoccer New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Ranger fan, I think Lennon was an excellent pick. I still see the SPL being Rangers to lose but Lennon will definately make it close.

10. seamusrua

seamusrua New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    If anyone is planning on coming to Philadelphia for the Celtic v Union match, please let me know. We are trying to organize a pre-match session. We plan on all parking in Lot E as well at PPL Park.

11. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beautiful, i was going to start a thread for this so that people can get organized for the American friendlies. PM me with details

12. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie mulgrew back in paradise

Newsroom Staff
    DEFENDER Charlie Mulgrew has signed a three-year contract with Celtic and returns to the club after leaving in 2006 at the age of 20.

Initially he was on loan at Dundee United and then moved south to Wolves and also had a loan spell at Southend United before returning north.

Back over the border he signed with Aberdeen where his performances on the left flank resulted in the move back to Paradise.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_010710111629.aspx

I personally would have preferred having Lee Wallace at LeftBack but picking up Mulgrew on a free to bolster competition can't be a bad thing I suppose.

Other rumors for this week include:

The signing of the Korean RightBack Cha-Du-Ri should take place this week. He had himself a nice World Cup recently. What could this mean for Andy Hinkel?
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=804551&sec=scotland&cc=5901&cc=5901

Zheng Zhi and Koki Mizuno have both been released. Players who won MOTM honors in their debuts and never really panned out afterward. All the best to them both. Maybe an indication that Lenny is freeing up funds to pay the wages of a new flock of Celtic players

Jimmy Bullard to Celtic on a year long loan is still making waves in the rumour mill. Bullard has just returned from holiday in Portugal and has said he hasn't spoken to anyone at Hull about his future but whereever they tell him to go and play is what he'll have to consider. Not sure what to make of that.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8769927.stm

Sol Campbell stopped by Celtic Park and Lennoxtown on Tuesday and promptly let the Celtic faithful know that it may be a month at least before he's willing to make a decision on where he winds up. I'm not encouraged by this. It really solidifies my original thought that he's trying to use us to get a better deal at Arsenal. He's entitled to do whatever but Lenny can't be waiting around a month to sign a proper center half. I say bring in Silva now as we should have done in January.
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932...in-no-hurry-to-join-celtic-with-arsenal-still

It is widely reported now that Willie McStay has been sacked by the club. He coached the reserves for nine years before going to Hungary to coach there last summer. He returned to Celtic however after the Mowbray experiment was over to once again take over the reserves. No word from Celtic Park or from Willie about the circumstance of his leaving this time.
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport...-casualty-of-neil-s-celtic-overhaul-1.1038543

Stephen McManus looks to be on the off as well as the wee man at Boro continues raiding the Celtic roster for his old favorites. I like Mick, he is a brave player that loves the jersey and tries hard but if we can pick up 2 mil quid for him, it's a nice piece of business.

I don't know, maybe I have World Cup fatigue. Maybe it's World Cup withdrawal. I know I have Celtic withdrawal so I figured I'd compile all of the rumours and put it out here. This silly season will be very interesting, especially as I can't see the board just standing pat and not bringing in some serious quality before the beginning of the season. We have a chance of making it to Champions League group stages. I really feel that with a couple of strategic signings, we can compete with the likes of Zenit and Sevilla. Maybe I need to take my green specs off, maybe not. We'll see. Hail Hail.

Oh and also, have a listen to this podcast from Beyond The Pitch. They interviewed Henrik Larsson and it's up on the first page of their website. I've got loads of time for Henke and it's interesting to hear what he has to say about Celtic then, now and when. The audio quality is pretty bad, but if you bear with it, its worth a listen.

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/podcasts/

13. Tibber

Tibber New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Mount Royal, NJ
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? Send me a message with some details. There are a few of us from NJ & Philly trying to find out where to meet up with the Bhoys.

I'll pass on purchasing the Lot C uhm, pass.

14. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lot E will be the place. Shouldn't be too hard to find the Tims. I believe that work is being done to put something together with the Sons of Ben.

15. Tibber

Tibber New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Mount Royal, NJ
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cheers. I'll be in lot E as soon as it's open.

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And just to add another 'note' of excitement to this thread -

CELTIC are excited to announce they will be turning the volume up next season and bringing the electric atmosphere back to the stands with the launch of their very own vuvuzela.

The novelty plastic horn is a national phenomenon in South Africa and has become a fans’ favourite during this summer's World Cup.

After demand from supporters, especially our young fans, green and white vuvuzelas will go on sale towards the end of next week at all official outlets.

Be still my beating heart...

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Those things have ruined the traditional footballing atmosphere that should be part and parcel of a World Cup.

And now I'll have to listen to them all season long at Celtic Park. I should really go back to the ticket office and get a refund on my season ticket for this season...

18. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i wouldn't worry. you aren't alone in this and once its discovered that their allowance will hurt the attendance, they'll be banned. although, if these rotten things are going to be blown for the entire game, are the stewards going to continue to harrass the jungle bhoys and green brigade? if their singing can't be heard, are they causing any harm? of course, what's the point of trying to sing over that awful sound that those horns make. i can't see an outcome where they'll be allowed.

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think my mates will all buy one just to piss me off...

20. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm thankful that many of the clubs here in the US have banned them already. i just wouldn't turn up anymore if they were allowed. rather watch on my tv with the volume down

21. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    To be perfectly honest, some of the stuff on the official website has been cringeworthy recently. They're so petrified at having half full stadiums next season that they're going to all sorts of lengths to avoid it rather than just focusing on the main issue, which is put the right product on the park.

Vuvuzuelas. Really...? It's a joke. And an unfunny one at that.

They've already made one move in the right direction by appointing Lenny. Now they have to give him the resources he requires.

22. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agreed 100%. all it'll take to have them banned is for some fanny to try and play the rebs on a vuvuzela. it'd be hysterical and solve our problem at the same time.

in all honesty, an issue that is this polarizing is bound to lead down a treacherous path to trouble. like you say, it's way to turn over a few quid while the kids are into it and then they'll be just as soon banned from the grounds

23. Tibber

Tibber New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Mount Royal, NJ
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, I have no reason to travel there. I'll stay here and just watch the games at the pub on mute.

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Looks like we've won the race for Joe Ledley.

The Echo have posted an exclusive on their website this afternoon claiming Ledley has turned down a four year contract offer from Stoke to move to Parkhead within the next 24 hours.

Worringly for City a move to Scotland means no compensation. City were hoping to bring in a fee of around £3m if Joe went to the Premier League.

If this proves to be the case then I'm very pleased with this move.

Jimmy Bullard was also in Glasgow today to discuss his possible season long loan move.

25. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news. To steal a player who could have signed a lucrative contract with an EPL team....Hopfully the Bullard loan happens as well.

Anything on Keane?