Celtic 2008/09 Match thread. pre/post [R] Stand up for the Champions

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=153961

This could be a handicap. Let's hope for the best.

I'm on the way to the Finnegan's pub in Nuremberg now. As it is a sunny day here, I decided to use the bike (I'm riding outside the city alongside a beautiful river) for the 13 km's distance. Let's hope that my Celtic top won't get confused with the Greuther Fürth jersey when I enter the Old City of Nuremberg ... as this could cause me some trouble due to tomorrow's derby between Fürth & Nuremberg. ;)

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very disappointed after today.

After Rangers scored it was clear they would sit back and defend a 1-0 lead and hope that was enough. It turned out to be enough as we were laborious in the final third all day long. Playing Maloney instead of McGeady on the left when Dailly is at right back made no sense to me whatsoever. McGeady has been in good form recently and should have been utilised to get at arguably their weakest link.

We had more than enough possession and territory to win the game but we struggled to create clear cut chances against a team that was sitting deeper and deeper as the match wore on.

Person I feel sorriest for is Gary Caldwell, who I thought was absolutely outstanding today.

Three games to go and after twice having held a 7pt lead we now need Rangers to slip up either at Hibs(slight chance), Aberdeen at Ibrox(no hope in hell) or away to Dundee Utd at Tannadice on the last day of the season(possibility),

Of course, we would also need to win our three remaining matches and considering one of them is away from home, and the way our away form has been against top 6 clubs this season, that is far from being a straight forward task.

To top it all off I have to work away from home all week next week so I've had to give my season ticket to a friend while I'll be watching the game in the Celtic supporters club in Newcastle.

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    CLICK

But let's be honest, Aiden didn't have much impact when he came in (except for his scoring opportunity).

I think we had 70 % (!) possession after the interval ... but well, if you can't create scoring opportunities (unfortunately, that wasn't easy on a rain-soaked pitch against a destructive home team), it's useless dominating a game. Pity that JVoH couldn't take his 2 header chances...

I agree. Unfortunately, our midfield didn't have its best day (especially the centre with Crosas & Hartley).

Now it's not in our hands anymore. Let's hope that Hibs will manage to reach at least a draw against them. The goal difference could become crucial in the end of the season...

PS: Here's lots of post-game reports.

CLICK

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

A fair point. Aiden has never really turned it on at Ibrox which may have factored into GS's thinking.

Yep. They struggled, Crosas especially. Hopefully he'll learn from the experience. I thought Hartley did ok in the first half but started becoming more sloppy as the match wore on which I took to be a sign of tiredness on what must have been a heavy pitch with the torrential rain affecting it.

5. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    this league is far from over..a huge win on tuesday and were top of the league with rangers in a tough game at easter road. we can still do it. :)

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes we can. But by the same token we have to accept that we need outside help. Rangers are in the driving seat, but it's by no means over. Obviously my views are biased but I still believe they will drop points before the end of the season.

Whether we claim all 9 of our remaining points, which is a must, is another matter. Hopefully we will.

7. camerondocherty

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i think out of all their remaining games, dundee united away is the one where theyre most likely to drop points. i think it will come down to the final day of the season again, and we'll be at home.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Celtic v Dundee Utd - Tuesday 12th May - 19:45 KO Celtic Park

1-1
    2-2
    0-0
    2-2

Does that sequence of numbers ring any bells?

It should do. It's our results vs Dundee Utd in 90mins so far this season. It's about time we won a game against them this year and what better time to do it. But of course, that's not all. We only have a +1 difference in goal difference so assuming(hoping, praying etc etc) that we get in front, we can't rest on our laurels. We'll need to win, and win convincingly. This may yet come down to goal difference at the end of the season and we all know how painful it can be to lose a title because of that statistic.

Dundee Utd have aspirations of 3rd place and won't be arriving as sacrifical lambs to the slaughter. So how best to get the points in the bag and aid the goal difference column? Well firstly, we welcome back the PFA player of the year to the team - Scott Brown. Skoosh will drive the team on from the middle of the park which could be the key area. I'm not convinced with either big Jan, despite his goal scoring purple patch, or Sammi. I can't see it happening but I'd be over the moon if we started with a midfield of -

Maloney --- Crosas --- Brown --- Nakamura

with Aiden playing anywhere across the pitch between them and Skippy.

The back five will be the same as the Rangers game with the possible exception of Naylor replacing O'Dea. I think that one comes down to who is the fittest of the two.

So lets go for it tonight Celtic. A massive performance is needed, both from the team and the fans. I only wish I was there instead of watching it from the CSC in Newcastle or a pub nearby.

9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scottish Premier League
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009
    Celtic Park, Glasgow

CELTIC… 2
    (Loovens 22, Samaras 53)

DUNDEE UNITED… 1
    (D Robertson 57)

CELTIC (4-4-2) Boruc; Hinkel, Caldwell, Loovens, Naylor; Nakamura (Flood 85), S Brown, Crosas (Hartley 62), McGeady; McDonald, Samaras (Vennegoor of Hesselink 76).

Subs: M Brown, O’Dea, Conroy, Maloney.

DUNDEE UNITED (4-5-1) Zaluska; Kovacevic (Dillon 88), Wilkie, Kenneth, Dixon; D Robertson, Gomis, Buaben, Swanson (Shala 58), Conway; Sandaza (Goodwillie 81).

It wasn't as plain sailing as I'd hoped for but we got the necessary result. The game seemed to play out in eerily familiar fashion as to the first match played here this season between the two teams. So much so that when Utd clawed one back I was starting to sweat a bit. But we saw it out and after tonights result we know we must go to Easter Road and come out the blocks flying. Get the three points there and we're in pole position on the final day.

Best players last night -

Scott Brown - He was simply awesome. Badly missed during his suspension and will hopefully play a huge, positive part for us in the last two games.

Gary Caldwell - 'Heid' showed why he was voted the Scottish writers player of the year (and congratulations to him on that) with another excellent, composed display at the heart of our defense.

Andreas Hinkel - His foraging forward runs are causing havoc in opposition teams and allowing Nakamura freedom to come off the flank and become more involved in the middle of the pitch.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I higher win would have been appreciated, since the goal difference could become decisive in the end ... but well, important is that we got all 3 points and are on top of the table again.

Let's hope we can get the crucial away win at Easter Road next Sunday.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hibernian v Celtic - Sunday 17th May - 1pm KO Easter Road

After the result today Rangers have the advantage, at least until tomorrow where a win for us will put us back into pole position. Nothing else will do. Anything less doesn't bare thinking about. Seeing as it's an away game I have no idea what sort of team GS will send out. Probably have more chance of guessing the 6 lottery numbers.

What we do know is neither Barry Robson, Mark Wilson or Stephen McManus will feature as they are all out for the season.

Start Sammi GS and play your footballers! Naka and McGeady with Maloney waiting in the wings.

Celtic from: Boruc, Hinkel, Caldwell, Loovens, Naylor, Nakamura, Flood, Scott Brown, Crosas, Hartley, McGeady, McDonald, Samaras , Vennegoor of Hesselink, Mark Brown, O'Dea, Conroy, Maloney.

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Starting 11 for this important fixture -

Boruc

Hinkel
    Caldwell
    Loovens
    Naylor

Nakamura
    Hartley
    Brown
    McGeady

McDonald
    Samaras

Hartley is in for Crosas.

13. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm gutted. Did we learn nothing from Rangers result on Wednesday?? All credit to Hibs for a battling performance. No credit to us for a bottling performance.

It looks like we've blown it although Utd have something to chase and it wont be easy for them at Tannadice but if they secure the three points they need then they deserve it.

Hopefully, regardless of what happens next Sunday, Lawell will spend some money on revamping a team that has looked devoid of ideas for a lot of the second half of the season.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did they really play that badly in such a decisive match? :eek::mad: Well, if you once again can't score an away goal in a crucial game, there's no reason to complain. Own fault!

It's not in our hands now next week.

16. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Nothing to be paranoid about today, if we lost the title on the result then the players and staff need only look at themselves in the mirror. I am a bit downhearted but I know the Tangerine are more than capable if they play to their best abilities. As we know Tannadice is no place for an easy 3 points. I’ll be an Arab next Sunday.

17. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  18. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    Surprise Surprise, welcome back Padme.

You are a bit of a gimp, you are in and out these forums like a whore these days.

19. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OMG, so much traffic in this thread lately! :eek: ;)

What's up Bhoys, are you really so pessimistic for today's big final? Let's hope we'll win our home match and get some help from Dundee (they need a point to be ahead of Aberdeen) in a few minutes...

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, when considering the half-time results in both stadiums (I followed our first half on the livestream), there's not much hope left ... so I better leave my flat now for a bike ride.

I think only a little wonder can help us now.

21. camerondocherty

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    over the past 4 seasons we've been slowly declining, from winning the title before the split, to just after the split, to the final day, to losing it..i think now i can say that strachan needs to go.

22. camerondocherty

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    and btw i thought the hearts support were disgraceful today.

23. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    that is awful patter lol

dont get too much time on the net anymore, but when i get a chance to rub it into you lot, i dont miss it :D

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Can't argue with that. You have the bragging rights for now.

----------------

I was very disappointed with some so called supporters at Celtic Park today. When Rangers third goal went in some fans got up and left. Obviously glory hunters and it can only be good for the club if they don't bother returning.

As for the Hearts fans celebrating, doesn't bother me either way.

Lets face it. We blew it this season. Twice we were 7pts clear and we couldn't close the deal.

I wonder what changes will be afoot in the close season...

25. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    respect to you brother.

was an exciting season. by far not the players and football being played, but was very exciting all the same.