Celta Vigo vs. Barca from yesterday

Discussion in 'Referee' started by msilverstein47, Apr 18, 2018.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do we have handling on this goal yes/no?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hzsvz

Barca already reduced to 10 men...
    Emre Mor's cross in from the left was punched out by Ter Stegen, only for the ball to deflect off Aspas, and into the net, off the forward's arm.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first replay just has too much arm movement towards the ball. Handling + yellow card for me. The more I watch it, the more deliberate it starts to look.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isolated video: https://streamable.com/biach

Not sure what the debate can be. Of course it's handling. That said, literally no one appeals for it in real-time (and this isn't exactly a team or a league that is shy when it comes to appealing to the referee) so to say it's an understandable miss would be an understatement. This is a good example of a rare situation where VR would be unambiguously good--at least when viewed in isolation.

refinDC, usaref and code1390 repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but we have the cross and then deflection off the GK, up off the thigh and then onto the arm which clearly is in a unnatural position. Is there any possible way that the rather short distance and flight of the ball can be used as the deciding factor between the touch of the GK, the thigh and then the arm in order to allow the goal???

5. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I would argue scoring with your arm, especially that far outstretched, is against the spirit of the game.

roby, jayhonk, me116 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That begs the question. Actively scoring with the arm, of course, is USB. If the ball inadvertently hits an arm and takes a lucky bounce, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. This is no different from any other handling decision--as with any fortuitous bounce, it is a clue to be considered on determining whether there was deliberate handling.

I don't see anything unnatural* about the arms--he's jumping with no reason to expect that would be a fortuitous place for his arms to be. But I still agree with MR that this is an easy call (if seen) as there is arm to ball movement that creates the contact, and the deflection is not so close to excuse the contact.

_______
    *I'm oft perplexed by how people misuse unnatural position. The concept is that the arms being in an unexpected place is a clue to the contact between arm and ball being deliberate. It is not some arbitrary concept to punish awkwardness. I believe this misuse of the concept is why IFAB added language to Law 12: "the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence"

msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really isn't hard (once you see it, that is).

82:03-82:04 on the game clock of the replay I posted shows everything. It hits his thigh, chest, and then arm. At no point is that ball going back toward the goal until his arm, which is raised while the hand is made into a fist, propels it forward.

You can argue the handling is instinctive, but you can't credibly argue it's not deliberate. Other than the fact that this was missed, it's really not that interesting of a clip.

socal lurker repped this.
  8. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    It is interesting enough to keep us going for a while....

I disagree with the main stream here. First, I am not sure what a natural arm position is when you are leaping through the air hoping to deflect a long cross, I suspect it is the position seen here. Second, I wonder how much reaction time is available from the time the ball comes off the keeeper, until it hits the attacker. As a layman, I can say it was pretty darn quick. I actually think that when the attacker sees the ball change direction and head toward his midsection, his arms flinch toward his torso--and that is what sends the ball forward. For that reason, call it deliberate if you want--eventhough instinctive, protective arm movements usually get a free pass on handling calls. Third, I have no problem with not giving this goal because of a unwritten principle that dictates that In the Game of Soccer, you cannot score with your hands.

IASocFan repped this.