CCL: Houston Dynamo v. UANL Tigres, Tuesday, March 5

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 3, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. It's gonna be cold!

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    section 205. it was about 70-30 in my little area but we were all the presale purchasers so it was orange by design. out of the roughly 17k announced fans there was easily 13-15k Tigres fans. Clearly over 12k without question IMO

2. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like J Wenger on twitter are losing their collective shit over losing to Tigres.

I'm just sitting here saying it should have been worse then 2-0. We defended with our lives and they were just toying with us most of the game. Joe Willis played out of his skin. Both goals some of the top goalies in the world would have been lucky to save.

BTW, this isn't the first time we've been outnumbered by a Mexican Teams fans. Pachuca did it, anytime the US plays Mexico below the bible belt they are outnumbered. Mexicans don't give a shit about what time the game is... they will have their 9 year old out there for a 10pm match. I was in bed watching this game on my laptop and in no way going to a 9pm match on a Tuesday.

7seven7 repped this.
  3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If people are being intellectually honest with themselves, they would see we are at best a mediocre MLS side. We finished 17/23 teams last year and the squad hasn't changed much.

Sure, an upset could occur but odds were it wouldn't and it didn't.

We are fans of a cheap/poorly run franchise with an, at best, middling MLS team.

That's just how it is.

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yeah, i don't understand why the above is so hard to understand. everything had to go right to beat a team like Tigres and the probability of that happening was low. not believing the hype doesn't make me less of a Dynamo fan. it just makes me a realistic, tuned-in fan.

i see a trend when people use other boards or social media to snark "the Dynamo big soccer boards are still a thing?". it's people who have left because they can't handle the truth bombs that are lobbed here. heck, we're actually having a productive conversation concerning GDS on here. we may not change each other's minds but at minimum there's discussion and less fairy tale land.

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm happy to post here. It's gonna be overwhelming negative posting though. It's a good place to vent. It's hard to find anything good to say about the team or franchise/ any department in the franchise. It's hard to say the Dynamo do anything well at any level.

Today, MLS fans should be pissed at the NYRB.. they are one of the "best" MLS teams and were playing a weaker side than Tigres and totally put up a turd. Tigres is gonna wreck everyone else in this thing most likely. We just happened to be the lambs for this round.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is sad is that there is enough legitimate MLS+ talent on the top third of the Dynamo roster that an all-in or committed owner could put enough funds in to make this a top-6 MLS side. Its not gonna happen spending $1M on second division Portuguese guys and average Scandinavian players. A real #10 like a Lodeiro costs real money, not Garber bucks applied to a guy who was on a U-17 team for Chile and has washed out.

Dynamo have fallen into this illness that is reclassing or recharacterizing players that should be depth/subs bench/spot starters into front-liners and the Orange Kool Aid Brigade drinks it up

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J Wenger seemed less than pleased with the concession lines and customer service last night

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that. It's only been this way since the opening of the Stadium...

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t I suggesting it was by design?

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s gone on so long you wonder if it is just disinterest in solving the problem or something so structurally wrong it’s beyond the skill of Dynamo management to fix. More likely, they signed a short-sighted deal with Levy Restaurants that makes changes either too expensive for ownership or too hard to implement. But at least try.

I joked one time a few years ago to one of my sons that the surest form of job security must be a frozen yogurt machine repairman because the Menchies machine on the East side of the stadium was broken so often.

Look, a Full house is always going to be a challenging to serve but the Dynamo seem to staff for 50% of the expected crowd. Even USOC games they only open like one stand to sell water and tick folks off.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are claiming to be honest and realistic here, lets do so about this board. There is plenty to be dissatisfied with regarding the glorious Houston Dynamo. I don’t see any major aspect of the club that is performing at a level necessary to compete in MLS. And I’ve been saying for years that cheap-ass Brener is the problem.

But some on this board create BS things to whine about. I mean, there is whining about “process and communication” regarding ticket sales for a game the team had 7 days to sell tickets for. 7 f’kn days. Of course its going to be non-optimal in the process and communication aspect. Expecting more is just unreasonable. The fact is, that there are folks with unrealistic assessment of the team buying Jordan’s line of BS, this board also has a fair amount of unrealistic whiney bitching. Sometimes me included.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo had what, 2 months to prepare for a likely Tigres match based on the brackets? You can use the 7 day excuse but they sent out the email about the game THE DAY BEFORE THE GUATEMALAN game! They planned for it.

Realistically they could have used this game as the bonus game in the STH package but purposely left it out knowing they could sell the tickets to a Mexican club fan. Could have swapped out a USOC game for it

El Naranja, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yup, yup.

c'mon now. fans and the team were rooting for a Saprissa win, BUT ticket rep$ and $ale$ were actively rooting for a $apri$$a loss. :D

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  15. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dem truth bombs go boom boom.

El Naranja repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more than proud to watch our team keep Tigres at bay for so long.
    Anyone that follows association football in our part of the planet knew what type of teams were facing each other. Certianly knows how Tigres roles over their rivals in Liga MX, thus how bad it coulda gone down for us last night.
    But it didn't.
    Wilmer is indeed starting to wear on me however, as a coach with modest experience coaching at a pro/pro-am level, I know there was a time to send in more defenders there with 20 minutes left and take off Quioto and Tommy Mac to make room for said defensive minded subs. We really coulda seen out the ida 0-0. Go down to Nuevo Leon with a chance to play out another 0-0 are who knows. Football is a strange game ya sabemos.

It never is a priority apparently, to fix this issue.

The staff at BBVA are clowns, for the most part really. A few "care" about their role on game day but most are just there to pull a paycheck. Our MLS team has ZERO club type connection with these game day ticket takers, security white shirts and certainly the FnB folks(food and beverage for those not knowing what this is).
    Then there are the men and women at the cash registers. Bless their hearts, they fuc{ed off high school but are destined to have their role at their job at BBVA to count money and press numerical numbers on a machine. Which is very difficult for them to do in a fast, productive order.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    you want the truth? you can't handle the truth.......

i remember my wife and i sitting in a football field long line -- i only slightly exaggerate -- for opening day 2006 will call, and that i got in for kick off because someone handed us a ticket for some reason i never asked. years later i have a ticket left by a friend at will call and it's one line and the same stomach panic of do i make it in for a game i arrived an hour early for.

so i am sorry if i see some of these problems as an organization-existence-long Wal-mart-esque thing of being so cheap there are never enough lines open, even if the market plainly would bear it. you probably pay for the minimum wage earning concession workers' paychecks within a few people through the line. the power bill for more concessions is probably minimal relative to everything else they run to hold a game. the food and drink pays for itself in the margins.

just more losing dollars to pinch pennies. or in the case of will call, why allocate people to sold seats, have people standing around ready to sell them, while the paid customers stand in a line.

i am not going to diss them for having a fairly full house on a week's notice. i am going to diss them when they keep claiming to be listening to the customer and the basic problems of line length for concessions or will call stay the same. the food changes, the mentality/process doesn't.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #93 juvechelsea, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    That being said, those pointing at attendance being down need to consider we have also run 30k extra people into the place for CCL. I have argued before that we should spend money on players because it would pay for itself in per game attendance plus added fixtures for the postseason and longer Cup/CCL runs. But we are going to get at least 2 extra games this season whether you like it or not, the year before that was the USOC run, the year before that several playoff games.

So when you're like, attendance is down, well, hmm, consider the extra attendance and revenue from the added games. You only really hurt if you are so Astros bad that extra games are out of the question and the fans have fled so bad you are hoping Rangers fans travel. But if we fall from 16k even down to 14k but then pick up 30k in extra game fans that's the same revenue not even factoring in a ticket increase. My back of the envelope math the attendance when you divide 30k by 17 (and added it back to league) comes out at about what you lost in per league game numbers. You take out a couple more games of overhead/salary/etc. but they aren't in trouble any worse than any other recent year, not at this pace. Now if we drop down to 10k a game, different story.

And if they sell some or all of the big 3 that is a substantial fraction or perhaps even multiple of the ticket revenue. I think Manotas was signed to stay here a while but factor that in your financial analysis. It would impact the field product depending on quality of replacements. But financially those empty seats you are giggling at would be paid for and then some. Ditto last year with Torres.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STH packages this year include the 17 MLS games, The 1st CCL game, Charities Cup, and all USOC games except semis and finals. So yes, some incremental revenue but really mostly last nights game and then late USOC and MLS playoffs. And you don’t get to keep all that revenue (Concacaf and USSF get some).

Now if the season ticket base is really low and you sell out the bonus non-MLS games it would be more but then your normal revenue projection would be lower with the lower STH base.

MLS playoffs I think is the big extra game revenue generator

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the restructuring of that system itll be years before we can reap any revenue off of it.

21. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who dis??

22. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Assuming I’m The “whiney bitch” you’re referring to...I don’t see it as whiney bitching about the ticketing process. I saw it, and still do see it, as the club isn’t really focused on the fans. I don’t think they give a shit one way or another about the interests of the fans. And on the rare occasions that they do, they still screw things up.

I think that crappy fan relations reflect bad management just as much as Kevin Garcia starting. My entire point was that the organization is terrible. And until they can get the smaller things right, they’re not going to be getting team on the field right.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  23. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Cabrera preferred to keep a banged-up DMB out there on the field over Lundkvist. Just throwing that out there as further proof that Cabrera just completely doesn't rate Mr. Swede.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see how well DMB was playing? He got unlucky on goal #2, but watch the game and see how many dangerous situations he handled when Tigres came down the left. I also don’t think DMB wanted off. What coach makes that change there?

7seven7 repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never question the ability of the human creamsicle to attempt to associate the Dynamo with Ajax and ManU in terms of soccer talent and acumen