CCL: Houston Dynamo v. UANL Tigres, Tuesday, March 5

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 3, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. It's gonna be cold!

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. UANL Tigres
    When: Tuesday, March 5 @ 9:00 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: UANL Tigres (7-1-1), 1st in Liga MX
    Houston Dynamo (0-0-1), 7th in the MLS West
    TV: Yahoo Sports/UDN

This is the first leg of the Quarterfinals of the 2019 CONCACAF Champions League. The teams will play again in Mexico on March 12.

This is the first ever meeting between the Dynamo and Tigres. UANL advanced to this round over Saprissa, 5-2 on aggregate, after losing the first leg 1-0.

The Dynamo are now 15-10-9 overall in games in CONCACAF tournaments and 13-2-2 in home games. This is the 5th appearance for Tigres in the CCL. They lost in the quarterfinals in the 2012-2013 to Seattle and then made it to the finals in 2015-16 (losing to Club America) and 2016-17 (losing to Pachuca). Mostly recently in 2018 UANL was eliminated by Toronto in the quarterfinals on away goals.

In the CCL this year the away goal tie-breaker will be used in most rounds. If teams are still level after two legs then they will go straight to PKs except in the Final where away goals will not be used but extra time will be played before PKs.

UANL Tigres is 5-0-0 in their last 5 Liga MX games with 11 goals scored and 3 allowed. Tigres beat Pachuca, 3-0, on March 2. They will next face Monterrey on March 9.

The Dynamo are 3-1-1 in the last five official games going back to late 2018 scoring 9 goals and allowing 7. Houston was 12-6-4 in home games in all competitions in 2018.

The Dynamo next host Montreal on March 9 in MLS and then travel to Nuevo Leon to face Tigres in the CCL on March 12 before returning home to host Vancouver on March 16. The Dynamo then not play again in MLS until March 30 at Colorado.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The weather forecast for Tuesday night in East Downtown, Houston.

At 9pm:

43F
    48% humidity
    wind 6 mph N
    Partly cloudy
    0% chance of rain

Temps will stay the same or drop slightly during the game. The wind chill will start out at about 40 and will drop into the 30s.

I don't have records for this stat but I have to believe this will be the coldest home game in Dynamo history. We'll also have to wait and see what the forecast does.

3. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Two questions.

First, is Tuca going to be sending his A-club or “B-club” on Tuesday?

Second, how many cigarettes will Tuca smoke during the match?

4. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    My bad. I got mixed up with La Volpe, that other coach used to be for Monterrey Rayados and other MX clubs like Chivas and Club America.

5. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have our chances at advancing past Tigres at 20% on the high side.

should i have reason to believe it's higher??

Borrachin repped this.
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    0-10% only because we're not good enough defensively neither in the back or midfield.*

*with the exception of Cabezas.

7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Maybe the cold weather will make the Tigres pull their limbs in like Turtles or scared to fall on the cold, wet grass.
    :sneaky:

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    unfortunately that won't help.:( i spent plenty of winters in Monterrey freezing my ass off. nighttime and early morning temps in the 40s are common Dec- Feb and are made worse by the mountain air that sweeps through the valley on some days.

also, the further south and west you live from the city center the higher the elevation and the lower the temps.

9. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They let you boys from the topo chico travel to the west side back then?

10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they released the roster from Tigres that is coming to play the game. I know dick-diddly-doo about LMX. Have any of you seen the list and if so, any thoughts?

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    LOL!

Close, but no Raleigh cigarette. Colonia Zapata. much different place than back in the 70s-80s. they have a Starbucks and Buffalo Wild Wings now. SMH.

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Looks like most of their best players.

Enner Valencia (Manchester United/Ecuador)
    Carlos Salcedo (Fiorentina/ Mexico)
    Eduardo Vargos (Hoffenheim/Chile)
    etc...

Only big name I see missing is Gignac (Marseille/France).

13. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We have a great chance if Tigres gets a red card or two but I doubt that will ever happen.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tigres and Monterrey have the Nortenyo Derbi this weekend, thus there is the idea that what squad is brought might not even be the squad that Tuca fields to start the match. He might give the bench a run out and if needed send in the starters later on tomorrow night.

We rested Beaz and some others, with Cabeza supposedly being a game day decision.
    Going with what I saw from the first three matches thus far and if indeed Cabezas can return to the Starting XI then I would suggest this. A more defensive 5-4-1 but can still hit on the counter if the opportunity is there.

------------------------------------Manotas

---------------------Quioto------------------------------Elis

----------------------------Boni--------------Cabezas

--------Beaz---------------------------------------------------------De la Garza
    ------------------Figueroa-------Struna------Fuenmayor

--------------------------------------Willis

Basically, we get a 5 man back line with wingers that can add into the attack if called into action, prime directive is to make sure Tigres does not have a field day right off the bat. They might dictate possession but we can make life frustrating for them in the final third of the field. Then with our trio up top, hit them on the counter. With Boni in terrific form and the return of Cabezas, our middle third will not be outclassed as bad if we field Martinez and Vera without Cabezas, this is my fear. That Wilmer will start both of 'em and drop Boni and Cabezas cannot go.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno if the aggregate will get Pan Pacific bad but i wouldn't be surprised if it was

16. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

too soon....

El Naranja, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not a fan of going defensive. You're going to lose on the return leg, just a question of by how much. So, may as well go out and try and score as many goals as you possibly can. Nothing to lose, go try and put on a show. Lose 4-3, win 4-3 either way the fans leave entertained.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there in section 228 with my Cobi Jones "Don't Tread on Me" USMNT jersey and a MAGA hat. Please come by and say hi to me. Thanks

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is about a 95% chance something goes wrong with this effort on heating and serving hot drinks, from serving them to having Tigres fans throw them

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just had to mention it! Kyle you mad man!!! Haha!

El Naranja repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more things change (FO personnel) the more they stay the same - rather than keep a few sections available for Dynamo fans, let's convert them over to Tigres sections to make a little extra money. I understand the economics, but gonna create some problems for Dynamo fans

LuckyLawrence
    Really annoying they took away 4 more sections from us to make them Tigres sections. Especially since I bought tickets in one of those. I was already prepared to be surrounded by Tigres fans but now it's going to look like a Dynamo fan is sitting is their area instead of the other way around.

crocken
    which sections?! .
    i just checked and the section i bought tickets from is now for sale as Tigres?! lol wtf/ugh

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/ax7fu0/houston_dynamo_vs_tigres_uanl_tuesday_march_5_900/

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Tigres is going to dominate possession whether we want to be more attacking or not.

We are going to defend deep and try and score on the counter.

Whether thats the “plan” or not that just going to be what happens.

I don’t mind at all because that’s how inferior teams win these things. They defend well and grab a goal on the break or a set piece. That’s the blueprint and has been ever since football began.

DonJuego, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have the right attacking talent to steal a goal or two on counters or turnovers. Will the defense hold up? I think if we just cede all possession and defend too deep we have no chance - Elis and Quioto and Manatos get their chance from turnovers in the offensive half of the field.

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    For someone who’s a capitalist, you sure complain when it’s not in your favor.

Tigres is probably in the top 5-6 largest fanbases in the Houston metro area after the Mexican National Team and FC Barcelona. I don’t blame the FO and I don’t blame Tigres fans. That just leaves 1 possible guilty party.

DonJuego repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand they’ve probably sold every Dynamo fan ticket they are going to sell and the incremental sales in the next 20 hours are all going to Tigres. But after going thru all of the segregated ticket sections you flip a section after you’ve already sold tickets in it? Is that $8,000 of incremental ticket sales that valuable?

Look, the day the Dynamo FO and ownership whored itself out to be the “visiting” opponent for Chivas at BBVA spoke volumes to me (Brener’s 1st year as majority owner).

What’s pathetic about this game is going back 10 years to Superliga and playing the Mexican squads and having crowds 50/50 for the Dynamo and we’ve lost ground in the decade since. It’s alMost like 2006-2012 never happened