Catalan independence and what it could mean for FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by La Trucha, Oct 10, 2014.

?

Do you support Catalan independence?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. anarchism_now2013

Jun 6, 2013
    geez, they are picky much huh ?

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Shouldn't they be? If they allow one type of political banner then others will want to display theirs as well. Then all hell will break loose.

3. anarchism_now2013

Jun 6, 2013
    Well, for me, I think it is a non issue really, I mean, in society if we all believe in freedom we should believe that any and all people have the right to have a flag or show any flag they wish to, flags don’t hurt people, they don’t cause physical violence. We should also allow people to have the right to show flags we disagree with. If there were to be violence because of a flag, then we are looking at the scum of society and they would be dealt with by the police. But I don’t believe a flag would cause that many problems, nor should it. Freedom is the right to be offended or disagree with something and also enjoying doing something that others might not agree with it (whatever it may be). As long as you are not committing violence against others, I see no problem.
    Europe as well as the world has a strange view on these things I must say. Is very worrying

4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So you're saying that flying this flag would not cause any problems whatsoever?

[​IMG]

Dhajj and unclesox repped this.
  5. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

6. anarchism_now2013

Jun 6, 2013
    Well, I see some idiots waving a flag that I disagree with…shall I put my hands on them aggressively for waving a flag ? I don’t think so ? Nor should anybody…should I act aggressively and fine them cause they have some odd views ? Certainly not. A lot of times people insults Christianity with odd humor, is it okay for a Christian to do what I just mentioned ? For sure not !. Do you want to fine everybody that offends people ? You could become on the bad end of that my friend by just simply saying a few bad words towards a person.…. If you simply shrug it off and ignore the people… life will go on… the key is “keep your hands off people” . As I said, one half of freedom is allowing those who you disagree with to have their views and do as they wish as long as they do not commit physical aggression against others. This is pretty easy to understand guys. I wont be coming back here to explain this simple concept of freedom. I think I have proven my point that freedom is becoming something that people don’t agree with in this world sadly.

7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    @anarchism_now2013 - i'd recommend you read up on the history of Anarchism and Anarchist philosophy a bit more before you give lectures on it. you might find anarchist law especially interesting.

in fact, while most anarchists share your contempt for any laws limiting freedom of speech, anarchist also have a long history of organizing militant groups to combat racist and fascist hate groups. anarchists see fascists as a direct threat to their community and would absolutely not just look the other way.

8. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That 80% is way inaccurate for so many reasons I don't feel like going into.

Here is the latest poll:-

[​IMG]

It is much lower than 2 years ago but still higher than 4 years ago. it is expected to go down to under 30% in 2016-2017 now that the economy is improving.

I think the reason why Catalonia will never get their "independence" is because of other European countries (mainly England, Germany, Italy and France) they simply will not allow it to happen.

If Catalonia, Bavaria, Scotland, Venice.. etc get their independence it will be the beginning of a new fragmented Europe.

evil_allan repped this.
  9. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I guarantee you that if Catalonia gets their unilateral independence there will be chaos. Think eastern Ukraine only without the full Russian support.
    Germany, the UK and the US will support Spain 100% (they already have). Russia will be willing to give Catalonia political and limited military support, not sure if the Catalans will take it as it will further damage their relations with their neighbors.

I doubt the regional police forces of Catalonia will accept the central governments orders after the unilateral independence so the central government will have to send the army + they will support the "Spanish unionists" within Catalonia which are at least 40% (that's essentially half of the region).
    So now the new Catalan government has to fight the Spanish military forces and the unionists within.

Those Catalan separatists either have no idea the chaos this will cause or they do and are ready to deal with it till the end. Their biggest problem is that Catalonia is too intertwined with Spain, culturally, economically and historically.

Braca will most definitely not play in la liga during the unrest and if you look at civil wars we are talking a suspension of at least 10 years. (not sure about UEFA/champoin league but I can't see Europe allowing them to play).

I am keeping my personal feelings out of this.. I am just giving you what I think will happen.

10. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really wish Catalonia and Euskadi wouldn't try and break away from Spain, but if the overwhelming number of people there want to do that, then what can you do about it?

11. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "overwhelming" is stretch but honestly I am trying not to take a side.. I am just trying to tell you what is going to happen if Catalans try to unilaterally secede.

What you said about peoples will sounds very romantic but the reality is, Catalonia will plunge into chaos and will become an international pawn piece in a global game between the powers that be. Look at Ukraine.

Political romance aside.. Spain will use the constitution that Catalonia signed and agreed to in 1978 and send the army to restore order, make no doubts about it. *some maybe a lot* of Catalans will arm themselves and fight back and now we have a civil war.

You can forget FCB for a while, most of your players will flee to other clubs.. most likely English clubs and La Liga will probably become a 2nd/3rd best league instead of best.

12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    that's exactly what every colonial power has ever said of their colonies;

'this is all for your own good - you're better off letting us manage your lives, lands and resources for you - now keep quiet and let your superiors talk.'

13. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No. Actually what I am saying is the army will come knocking after the central government fails to enforce the constitution, that is reality.

I haven't heard anyone in the political spectrum in Spain say "it's for your own good..", where did you get that?
    The rhetoric from Rajoy and the central government is "You can't because it will be illegal and if you try it we won't accept it."

14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    sorry if i misunderstood you. has the Spanish government indicated that they would respond with military force if Catalans vote for independence?

15. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #67 minuscapita, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    No but like I stated above. we are heading to a collision and if you look at the constitution you will see what will happen.
    1- catalans announce their unilateral independence
    2- The central government (using the constitution) will issue the regional police of Catalonia (Mossos d'Esquadra) orders to arrest the president of Catalonia and all politicians that passed the bill because it is against the law.
    3- Mossos d'Esquadra will probably refuse orders.
    4- Spain will then suspend the constitution in Catalonia and send the national guard and then the army.

From there, who knows what could happen. If you look at Syria and the Spanish civil war of the past you will see is that things get bad quickly and once they do it's like a snow ball, worse and worse without any side backing down..

I don't see the Spanish government just letting 5-10% of their land mass just roll away. and then other autonomous regions will start debating the same fate and the next thing we have is a dozen of banana republics like Yugoslavia.

We are going to have a long civil war if Catalonia secedes. It is guaranteed!
    And by the way, history shows armed resistance is the only way for "freedom". If they want it, they better get ready for it.

The same exact thing would happen if California secedes. The federal government will send the army to restore order.

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    "Monaco play in Ligue One, so why not Barcelona? I'm a huge football fan, a Barca fan. They're in my blood. France knows it and they ask me about it on the streets." - French Prime Minister Manuel Valls

17. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That would be interesting.
    And you could almost guarantee that Mourinho would do all he could to get the PSG managerial post.

18. Barcafan161

Barcafan161 New Member

May 7, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hopefully this doesn't happen

19. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club: