Cassar fired - next steps for the club

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Isn't it just as likely that the tentative plan was to slot Petke in as coach, but that they took some time to beat the bushes a little to gauge the interest of some likely candidates? I don't see this possible process as fundamentally flawed, nor inconsistent with Waibel's statements. And it's supported by evidence if you're not willing/able to just ignore the Armas report.

2. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What - he didn't say he was proud of the team for their work so far?

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit that I was not 100% on board with your speculation at the time, but with hindsight this is what happened. It's the simplest explanation. I'm pretty sure that's not what they told the employees and Cassar at the time, thus they had to do the public spin about a big search so they don't come off as obvious liars internally.

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, these theories are going pretty overboard, even for BigSoccer theories. I'm hoping there's some sarcasm going on that I'm not picking up on.

Allez RSL, Ivensor and Todorojo repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice the weirdness of Waibel when asked about that? He was like "Mike forgot to mention this but I know he meant to say it..." It was never clear to me when Petke was talking about meeting in NY with Waibel and DLH, WHEN that happened. Was Mike talking about the Monarchs role purely? Did they fly Petke out to NY this last week to interview before the NYRB game? It felt really weird.

ajr_RSL and RSLer repped this.
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #181 SenordrummeR2, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    I understood it as the interview that occurred when they flew out to meet with Petke about the Monarchs role. Waibel clarified that he told Petke the interview was for the Monarchs role, and if he was hoping for the RSL role the interview was over.

Edit: Phrasing changes. That first sentence was a doozy.

Allez RSL, Ivensor, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that makes sense
    it was just not lining up with some of the comments Petke had. Like Waibel was driving home the "if you are meeting with us because you want the RSL job, this interview is over". Yet, Petke was like "man that RSL job" just seconds before. Probably just bad timing

8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The way it was phrased seemed weird. Petke was on with Bill Riley after the press conference, and he reiterated the story and said in the back of his mind he hoped for the RSL job, but he was all on board with the Monarchs job after they laid out the plan with the academy.

Allez RSL, The Franchise and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is simple and straightforward. No sarcasm at all.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaand, with one announcement all talk of wingers vs. defenders has gone away. I would hope CW will listen to Petke and actually find players he wants to use for a new system and tactics that are sure to come (hopefully).

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call Shenanigans on anything to do with this coaching change. I don't believe a word about how this allegedly went down. My conspiracy theory is Waibel wanted this sooner, DLH held out until the season-starting-face-plant in points scored, and the rest is history.

If you want to get an inside track on coaching for the larger RSL org in the future, marry a Hansen or get into the food services business and talk tactics when you deliver slurpees to the family suite.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and ajr_RSL repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god, the talk about how Zarkos knew anything about soccer was, BY FAR, the worst part of the press conference. That dude looked like a deer in headlights the whole time

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  13. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Keep in mind, Waibel and others have publicly stated back late last year that the Cassar's contract extension was signed in August right around the time of RSL's last win. I think Waibel had a secret hope for this to happen at some point, but I doubt he expected it to happen even as soon as it did. Given the Javi and Jaime, er, Burrito hijinx, I think management probably put the end of year fade down to that and injury. Since the team started off similarly 'challenged' in the first couple games, they weren't really 'proud' any longer...it became time to 'shoot the puppy.'