Cassar fired - next steps for the club

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd want Bradley, and I doubt Ranieri would even entertain an MLS club.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would take Bradley over Petke.

15 to 32, Allez RSL and BalanceUT repped this.
  3. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that RSL could get Bradley, but (if he were given real control, which I doubt) I think he could do well.

Allez RSL repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who all is available, but I'd probably want Sigi first, then Bradley. I want someone that has a proven track record. Petke should stay with the Monarchs. Although if we had to, I could live with Petke over taking yet another risk with an assistant with no head coaching experience.

5. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Isn't Brian Dunseth available?

;)

6. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  7. HighNoon

HighNoon Member

RSL
    United States
    Mar 20, 2017
    Beckerman should retire and become coach.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. What RSL needs to do is stop trying to promote people with no experience and expect it to work. Just because it worked out with Kreis, doesn't mean it will work out for everyone. If we're going to go that route, I'd much rather they start with the Monarchs, because there's far less at stake there if they're losing.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like all of your post except for these two areas. Waibel's comment really has me uneasy. In my experience top notch executives maintain at all times a SHORT list of people they want in key positions. As for the second part, unless I am completely misreading DLH, you will not get your wish. DLH has complete control and will not hire a coach who demands to have it....although we probBly need one who does. It's why JK was not retained.

rslfanboy, The Franchise and G.dSilva repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. HighNoon

HighNoon Member

RSL
    United States
    Mar 20, 2017
    It was, how you say, of the joke.

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got my money (what little I have) on Sigi Schimdt. Bradley is married to the idea of coaching in the EPL, so I doubt he'll come back to the US. Ranieri? He probably considers MLS a step down for him.

13. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should look To Atlanta as an example of what caliber of a coach to go after.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I feel like this is a step in the right direction, I feel bad for Cassar. I wanted him to succeed, I'm sure we all did, and as much as I've wanted him gone I get no pleasure from someone else losing their job. I appreciate the work he did for us, even though it didn't work out he was committed and dedicated to RSL. I hope he lands on his feet and still finds an opportunity to do what he loves.

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting analysis from Matt Doyle's Armchair Analyst about where we go from here and what might be needed going forward - read it here. It's worth your time.

stucknutah, Ivensor, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. Good thing we invested a month+ of pre-season in Coach Cassar and his plan. The team won't struggle at all switching to a new paradigm.

This organization is not well, not bright, not functioning.

All the signals were there last year. Fan apathy was there last year (my season ticket seats from 2016, still available). Offensive Tailspin was there last year. Defensive weakness was there last year. Repeatedly getting on the wrong side of a ref at home was there last year. The idea that you might want or need to draw up a short list for HC was there.

I give the RSL Org credit for adding some young offensive talent, and maybe doing well in the draft with Schmidt, but that's about it. Every other challenge went largely unanswered in the RSL echo chamber, where all was well.

Yes, I'm keeping the avatar, for now but I might add something to it.

Bye Jeff. Good luck.

DrownedElf, The Franchise and Allez RSL repped this.
  18. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS anyone ? Rumor has it that his contract with boca is up in June.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bro, we're three games into the season. This is MLS. We just have to find a way, with new coach, to finish above the red line then it's a whole new season. No, I'm not saying I think we'll find the right person and win MLS Cup, but also saying THREE GAMES INTO THE SEASON that its a bust is... well even much for BS

DrownedElf, RSLer, GoRSL and 3 others repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on interviews and reading through the lines, he got himself into a lot of money

Taragui, BalanceUT and The Franchise repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From day 1 my older brother said this wasn't going to work because of just this. Cassar is, to put it bluntly, too nice of a guy to be a head coach. He is an extremely good person and a hell of an assistant coach, by all accounts. The problem is that his personality never allowed him to take on the role of head coach in a way that could be successful.

This is not to say all head coaches have to be asshats, but there was something always off with Cassar. This is an overly simple way of saying it

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaches that I would like interviewed (in no particular order):
    • Bob Bradley
    • Robin Fraser
    • Freddy Juarez
    • Sigi Schmidt
    That's the US contingent, for now. Doing research on who would make sense from an international standpoint.

HighNoon, Allez RSL and The Franchise repped this.
  23. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think exactly who comes in for an interview (and terms they may demand) might end up being a good outside check on the talent level we have on the squad.

Could also be a referendum on Waibel/DLH...

24. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Side note...Waibel's use of "cumulative" ad nauseam gave me a Princess Bride moment..."I don't think that word means what you think it means." He meant to say that the cumulative effect of Cassar's efforts were what got him fired, and that it was a "collaborative" effort internally to make the decision.

I know this is semantics...but it does reflect on Waibel's intellectual capacity, which has, frankly, been underwhelming. Whether you liked Garth or not, he was and is extremely sharp.

Now a HUGE decision that will shape the direction of the club has been dropped in the lap of a GM who has not, to date, shown that he is anything more than what Cassar was, a hire made for expediency, not talent. My fingers are crossed that he gets it right, but I think it is much more likely than not that he will muck it up horribly and that the echo chamber of incompetence will continue on.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    WHAT: Major club announcement
    WHO: RSL Owner Dell Loy Hansen
    RSL GM Craig Waibel
    RSL Captain Kyle Beckerman
    Other club dignitaries and personalities
    DATE / TIME: TODAY, Tuesday, March 21, 2017
    4:15 p.m. MT
    WHERE: Downtown RSL Team Store