PBP: Casey's 12th Symphony - Rapids take on the Timbers in Hispterville for the Snow Classico Rematch

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Jul 12, 2019.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    And so, Maestro Casey has his chance to take on the Portland Hipsters - er - I mean Timbers. Kickoff is slated for 11pm EST on 7/13/2019

As I know we all can remember, earlier this year we saw a game for the ages with a 3-3 draw in an absolute blizzard. The Rapids were down a man, and trailing late, and then Shinyashiki scores the MLS goal of the week:
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/ifra...d=default&brightcove_account_id=5534894063001

This started off a rough patch of games for Portland who went on to lose their their next 5 games - including to FC Cincinnati.

Now, the tables have turned. Portland is on a hot streak right now, going 10W-3L-1T in their last 14 games (including the Open Cup). They just played -and beat- LAFC on Wednesday in the Open Cup. Both teams had mostly their first team on the field for the start, which may mean Portland won't have a full tank of gas on Saturday - however - its on their home field, which is always a tough place to play as well.

Portland is 8-0-0 in home MLS matches against Colorado. Yikes...

However, the Rapids are unbeaten in their last 3 road matches, going 1W - 2T

Ref Assignments:

As far as injuries go, Wynne and Ford are both out, and Price is listed as questionable.

Acosta is also suspended, so his defensive presence shall be missed.

Now that Casey's run of form has ended, it shall be interesting to see if his unbeaten run was just a "new coach bump" or if he can tactically approach this game in a smart way against Portland and steal a result like we did against LAFC.

Let's go Rapids!!

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Go Rapids. Still crawling back to MLS attention after Women's World Cup and being away.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Gio Savarese will be out this week for Portland. He missed the midweek USOC match due to a family emergency involving Dad in Italy. Former USMNT 2002 WC vet Carlos Llamosa took over the reigns. They picked up a win against LAFC and earned a USOC semi-final berth. I have no idea if Llamosa stepping in has an potential effect on the match. Just thought it was worth noting.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    With Price questionable and Acosta suspended I wonder if Bassett will pair with Wilson ad D-mid for this match. - assume Casey goes with a 4-2-3-1. I suppose Mezquida could also be a candidate for that role.

Looks like both Lewis and Nicholson are 100% so I am assuming they'll both start which should give the Rapids some serious threats from the wing.

This is definitely a litmus test for Casey. He's had a couple of extra days to think about the tactics and formation and get players a bit of rest. Will the Rapids come out with passion and confidence as they have for most the matches under his watch? Or will they be a step slow, etc., as they seemed to be v NE last week?

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy126 repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I am guessing Lewis starts, but goes 60 -80 minutes, He hasn't played but one match in the last month or so and in his USMNT appearance didn't get the full 90.

Regardless, he seems t o be a key piece to the Rapids attack this season. Hope his hamstring doesn't bother him any more and his fitness soon allows him to play 90 minutes.

7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland played their first 12 matches on the road because of the renovations at Providence Park, and this is only their 4th home match of the season. They started the season 0-5-1, and have gone 7-3-1 since that start, a 2.0 PPG pace in their last 11. A point for Colorado in this match would be a huge accomplishment.

Sports Yak, Totoro and Andy126 repped this.
  8. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is a game that is hard to predict. Having Lewis and Nicholson back is huge. That will give Portland fits with the speed and Kamara sitting up top for the final header.

But having Price and Acosta out makes me pretty nervous. Portland is quite good and at home, so I don't see our "new look" defense being able to truly keep them at bay the entire game.

Portland did play just the other day and actually played starters. As such, their starters may tire and/or sit.

So, I suspect we will go down a goal (or two) in the first half. As the game winds on, we will pick back up a goal (or two) and come out with a point.

Note that this is extremely optimistic. I could easily see a fairly high-scoring loss based on Acosta/Price missing.

How CC plays this one will dictate quite a bit. If we go with a "bunker" mentality, I don't see success. Our back line may be OK, but the midfield will cause too many chances.

If we go after them with our speed and Kamara, therefore keeping the ball on the offense, we may fair better and have a high-scoring tie. Given that this team has pulled out some huge surprises (LAFC), I can't say we won't win. I just don't expect it.

rod.

9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Acosta out and Price questionable. 2-1 or 3-1 loss. Portland is picking up steam and I don't see the Rapids containing Brian Fernandez. Our attack may have more in them than I give credit for with Nicholson and Lewis in the lineup, but I'm really not optimistic about this one. Tie would be great.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction:

We have never won in Portland.
    We have lost every game we have played in Portland.
    We had our first loss after a very impressive stretch.

Can we rebound? Will Portland not come out motivated at home?

I’m not convinced yet. Been a horrible past 3 years of misery.

Portland 3-2 Rapids

AlbertCamus repped this.
  11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I made a mistake... I didn’t see the one win we had in Portland in 2011. It was the first time we played them in Portland and we won 1-0 on a Drew Moore goal in the 90th minute on June 11 2011

JasonMa repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. Moor was offside on the play but it was pre-VAR so we got away with it.

MrPerfectNot and Centennial repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio Savarese, Portland’s coach, missed the midweek USOC game due to traveling home to Italy to visit his terminally ill father, who passed away at the end of the week. He has told Portland he wants to coach tonight’s game and will be on the sideline.

Centennial repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Now we see what they are made of.

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What was redone with Portland's stadium? Did they add a deck?

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rain/lightning delay delayed the Rockies. Was hoping to watch Kyle Freeland's return. Maybe I'll have to fire up a stream somewhere.

19. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celo focusing on how Portland possess; apparently they are good at that. We will see.

20. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland goal keeper Clark just headed away a challenge. I haven't seen that before.

21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The Rapids are good at disrupting their opponents rhythm. Isn’t pretty but effective.

22. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco Farfan out for the Timbers at minute 9. Knee injury.

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I like that...Shinyashiki sent in a cross on the ground to Lewis. Too many of the aerial variety is too easy to defend.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Nice shot

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Kamara cuts in from left, nice low shot just saved and it deflects off the near post.