Review: Caribbean Nations Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by 13370, Sep 18, 2009.

1. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks!

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Apparently 24 nations will compete in this year's tournament -- unfortunately no word yet on who those nations will be. I believe the count for last tournament was 21 so its good to see that number go up a little bit. 24 out of 30 total isn't bad, but hopefully in the future there will be 30 out of 30.
    http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,116673.html

If I had to take a (completely wild) guess at which teams will not compete, I would guess Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, Sint Maarten, USVI, and either Bahamas or Montserrat. Again, this is only a guess so don't go think its official (like some people did with Guadeloupe being hosts)

3. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

am hearing from the Bermuda Football Association that Bermuda
    not going to enter this year's competition(2010) .

4. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Dominican Rep , Puerto Rico , Turks and Caicos Isl and USVI all participate in the Caribbean Women`s Championship that started this month.

My guess : Sint Maarten , St Martin , Bahamas or Aruba , Montserrat, French Guyana and Bermuda

5. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well mcruic mentioned that TCI would not be participating so thats where I got that information. I have my doubts as well about French Guiana as they often speak of their preparations for the Coupe de l'Outre-mer but nothing about this competition. DR, PR, and USVI could all well participate, I really have no idea. Montserrat's team is playing an Antiguan club in a friendly in a week's time so that could be prepartion.

I hope they post the teams soon so we can stop all this speculation :)

6. iHaveAnOrangeItch

iHaveAnOrangeItch New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico WILL play, and they will contend and get far in the tourney.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players can they call up from outside of the PRSL, other than two or so from the Islanders?

I will say this, though: if they qualify for the Gold Cup, I'm willing to bet that they have at least one group-stage game in New York (or Harrison, NJ as it were). ;)

8. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is this hope/speculation or do you know for sure?

9. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    It is almost 100% sure. It's gonna be a busy year for the U-23's and National Team.

They're playing a friendly cup in May against Ghana and Malaysia, plus we have the Centroamericanos with the U-23's. The biggest goal this year is to win the CNC.

10. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Chris Megaloudis who is in Serbia.

Andres Cabrero in Serbia, John Krause in Vietnam, a few in American universities (such as Steven Ehrichs).

From the Islanders it would be: Alexis Rivera, Marco Velez, Noah Delgado, Cristian Arrieta, Josh Hansen, and Scott Jones.

Ex-Islanders would be Terry Boss and the aforementioned Andres Cabrero.

Also, if the right offer is put forth, Jason Hernandez from San Jose.

11. MrFREEBORICUA

MrFREEBORICUA New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico

Krause, Arrieta, Hansen, and Jones cannot be in the PR national team. The reason why the FPF (Federacion Puertorriquena de Futbol) made the PRSL (Puerto Rico Soccer League) and the LNFPR (Liga Nacional de Futbol de Puerto Rico), second division, was so that the national team could count on local talent instead of Americans, Like Krause, or other Internacional talent, like Arrieta. Even though players like Boss, Gores, and Megaloudis where born in the US, they have PRican parents.

The best we could have for the national team is:

Andres Cabrero and Chris Megaloudis in Serbia.

Terry Boss and Josh Saunders from the MLS.

Marco Velez, Richard Martinez, Alexis Rivera, Noah Delgado, and Petter Villegas from the Islanders.

Gabriel Tañon, Chris Gores, Raphael Ortiz, Carlos Astondoa, Carlos Morales, Gadiel Figueroa, and Eloy Matos, aka Eloihno, from the PRSL.

and from collage: Steven Ehrichs, Scott Horta, Kevin Muller, Danny Irizarry, Joshua Villalobos, and Michael Caro.

12. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Arrieta can and wants to play with the NT, Krause, Jones, and Hansen are eligible but it all depends on their interest.

13. MrFREEBORICUA

MrFREEBORICUA New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Ya, I know that they are all eligeble, but the FPF would rather have local talent to shape up the team. Arrieta might be the only one that the FPF really wants. Where did you find out that he wants to join PR? It would be a great thing if he plays!

14. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Arrieta said to local newspapper that he have interest to play for PR, I can't remember when he said that, but it's was no more than an 1 1/2 year.

15. MrFREEBORICUA

MrFREEBORICUA New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Do you remmember the newspaper? Was it El Nuevo Dia, Primerahora? Anyways, Arrieta would be a great addition to PR!

16. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  17. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Puerto Rico has never really shine in caribbean competitions except PR Islanders. I guess the backbone of Puerto Rico's selection will be made by the PR Islanders' players, right? I remember a double confrontation between Guadeloupe and Porto-Rico was in qualifying for the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
    07/07/02 : Guadeloupe - Puerto Rico 4-0
    21/07/02 : Puerto Rico - Guadeloupe 0-2

18. MrFREEBORICUA

MrFREEBORICUA New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Even though the Islanders where made in 2003, it didn't really helped the national team. During that year, Puerto Rico got to their lowest FIFA ranking. But now we have a solid team. Our 2 best GK play in the MLS. Our defence and midfield are PRicans in the Islanders. But our fowards are mostly talent from the Puerto Rico Soccer League. Plus, our coach has an eye for talent. He was the man who found the players who tied Honduras 2-2 for Puerto Rico. I don't think PR is going to win the cup, but I can see PR qualify for the Gold Cup.

19. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Since 2008 we play some games:
    Played: 6 game
    Won: 3 ; 2 Bermuda, 1 Dom. Rep.
    Tied: 2 ; T&T, Honduras (both they tied against us)
    Loose: 1 ; Honduras

All in 2008

I agreed.

20. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Puerto Rico qualify for the next Gold Cup? It's going to be difficult but i hope that you will succeed! You should know that there will be plenty of candidates : Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Grenada, Guyana, Suriname...

21. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I know its difficult, but I hope that we can. As u said, there are many candidates, but too many of they going to face between each others too. So we got the same chance.

22. MrFREEBORICUA

MrFREEBORICUA New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    It is going to be a difficult cup. I think that the only islands that PR has to watch out for is T&T, Jamaica, Haiti, Guadeloupe, and maybe Grenada and Cuba. But, it's football, anything could happend. A few years ago, no one thought of Guadeloupe to make it all the ways to the semifinals of the Gold Cup! If PR can tie T&T and Honduras, we might have a chance to atleast get 3rd or 4th place in the Caribbean Cup. Thanks for the support!

23. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Someone know when its going to start the Knock-out Round (if is this Saturday 13) and the teams who's gonna to play? Or if CFU change the dates? Thanks.

24. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The information has not yet been released. It is almost certain though that it won't start this weekend. The CFU hasn't released any information whatsoever yet (the info on the hosts was reported by various different sites, not including the CFU).

25. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Ok, thanks.