Cardiff City vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Apr 21 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hendo really should have finished that to make it 2-0.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yet he still has 7 assists in the league which is third most on the team behind the two fullbacks. He has two more assists in the Champions League.

Against Southampton, Bobby Firmino was making a great run. Mo could have tried to play the ball to him, and who knows how it would have turned out. Instead he had the confidence to take it on himself and bury it in the bottom corner. Our title challenge could have ended that night if not for his "greed."

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Lets say we give City a 75% chance of beating United, 85% chance to beat Burnley, 80% chance to beat Leceister, and 95% chance to beat Brighton. That would make a 48% chance of winning all four.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sure, but it's impossible to quantify the number of goals that the team could have scored if, when not well-positioned, he had passed to better-placed mates instead of taking low-% shots / blasting away.

he does that - what? - maybe 4-5 times every game?

it's a difficult balance, but I'd like to see more variety from him, same as I'd like to see him use his right foot more. more variety = more difficulties for defenders = better chances to score.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's the biggest weakness to his game-- the conviction properly to hammer the ball in that position. Yesterday wasn't the only time. And he knows it-- you can see frustrated body language. Side footing or curling it, given time and space, yes he can but this one needs working on if he is genuinely to flourish in that position.

Kinda reminds of Andy Murray and the overhead smash which he can't just execute effectively.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    After yesterday’s performance and if the same Utd team turns up, it’s close to 100% chance of a City victory. For God’s sake, Everton, Everton beat them 4-0 and it should have been more. Utd were fortunate to get 0.

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his finishing (or lack thereof) was one of the reasons Klopp moved him back to the 6 in the first place. His technique isn't good enough to consistently finish in a variety of ways.

8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At least put it on frame

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's also worth noting the speed that these things are sometimes happening at. Yesterday on one breakaway he got stopped by a good tackle and a slightly off-time attempt to beat the player, and shortly after that he took a breakaway shot as everything closed down, but he was quite far ahead of his nearest support player and wouldn;t have seen him. It's difficult at that speed to stop and look around.
    And then there were the two occasions where he did lay off the ball nicely to a well-placed team-mate who didn't score....

imasyko repped this.
  10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are two ways to score that goal - adjust early and use your left foot, or smack it with the outside of your right foot to get the proper direction.
    Neither are easy for your average midfield player. Javier Hernandez or Sergio Aguero yes, most midfielders, prob no....
    It wasn't that easy. Salah's chance that the keeper saved with his foot and Firmino's chance, were both prob easier actual finishes.... taking everything into account....

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United are a collection of individuals - some of whom may cause City problems
    Pogba, Lukukuky, Sanchez, if he plays ....
    I sense a faintly possible backlash factor to the Everton drubbing ...

12. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United need only to replay on continuous loop Aguero's goal that won City the Prem and denied Unitied the prize. Upon them Wednesday is opportunity to deny the blue half and return favor.

They need to qualify for the 2019-2020 Champions League.

That's plenty of motivation.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - but they are United...:eek:

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it seemed to me that Robbo wasn't as adventurous as usual yesterday - made fewer attacking runs than usual (I think?)

I hope that was a deliberate tactic, and he's not showing the strain after 9 months of 90-minute sprints 2-3 times a week.

I'd love to see him rested vs Hudd on Friday but can't see it happening .... unless maybe with Joe in at LB?

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hendo's was much easier than Gini's strike for his goal.

16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3:09

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have to disagree there. Unless Henderon has a left foot and a striker's reaction time. Wijnaldum was perfectly positioned to attempt his....
    While I grant you that I would have likely hit the target with Hendo's chance and missed with Wijnaldum's .........but I have a left foot and therefore it's a matter of perspective.

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I thought he had a poor game by his standards. Some sloppy passing.

19. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Guess I wrote it wrong. Was referring to Kamara and Mitrovic incident this season which was a replica of the Benteke and Milivojevic incident last year for palace. I get he is chasing the golden boot but it's remarkable Ronaldo levels of selfishness but he is the only person to have that right with his strike record.

Anyway I dislike City (got a lot of former arsenal fans in the hood who relocated there ) and am rooting for Liverpool for EPL and UCL(bloody hate FCB) if both are possible!

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what the midfielders I quoted would have done. And by the way, if he's going to play in that advanced position, he's going to find himself in that situation many times. It's the nature of the beast in that position.