Carabao Cup 3rd Rd., The Arsenal v. Forest, 24 September 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Sep 22, 2019.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Martinelli caps it off with solo bravado. Golazza! 5-0.

Sorry you all missed this match... it was WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more fun than we've been seeing of late.

Onward. On the Jake train. :)

maskito repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If Emery watches this game tape and doesn't start Torreira against United that alone should be grounds for firing him. Torreira was always in the right place, he reads the game very well. The fact that Arsenal finally limited an opponent to single digits in shots allowed was largely due to the presence of two very mobile defensive midfielders protecting the back 4. While it was only Forest, they do sit 6th in the Championship.

It was very nice to see the injured defenders return to action, looking like they had never been out. Finally the Emery Ozil relationship is clearly a lost cause, but Ozil did provide 6 key passes before he was replaced.

3. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great match !! JW needs to start in MF he’s got motor plus skills . Martinelli goals were class . Tierney was a spark plug . Saka scared the crap out Forest.
    We gotta play our kids more ! Really liking what I’m seeing from Freddie’s team :)

maskito repped this.
  4. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *starts Torreira at left wing vs United

[​IMG]

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the highlights. I felt like it was pretty vintage Wengerball, which was really nice to see.

6. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal were actually fun to watch! I don't think anyone stood out in a negative way. Tierney looked really good, Bellerin looked hesitant to go full bore. Holding needs to be 1st cb on the team sheet soon. Chambers looked really good too, seems to read the game well and anticipate play before it happens. Why not try and Chambers/Holding pairing?
    Martinelli looked great, Saka looked good, Nelson was alright- seemed a stepover merchant.
    Ozil kind of looked, in the 2nd half, like how we've been wanting to see him play. He dribbled at guys and tried to make driving runs, it didn't always work but it was good to see. How many times have we seen Arsenal Ozil run towards the goal and attempt to take on players? Wonder if we'll see it in his next appearance in 2 months. I barely noticed Mustafi, so that's a plus.

maskito repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Beating players 1v1 has never really been Ozil's game, he only looks to do it when trying to get off a shot. His game is quick one and two touch passing to get teammate's in behind the defense, which he did today with aplomb, leading to 6 key passes and 4 successful crosses in 5 attempts. When he does dribble he is looking to draw a defender and then slip a pass into the space the defender has vacated.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  8. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great ball movement from all the young ones. After the second goal Forest kind of hung there heads a little.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I just remember, at times, a lot of people calling for Ozil to take the ball and go with it. It was just neat to see him trying to do that.

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It's taken me a while to get back to this post. Excellent technique and excellent field vision rarely occur in the same player. Emery seems to prefer players with excellent technique. I prefer players with excellent field vision, which is why, even if Ozil only had excellent field vision, I would prefer him to Ceballos.

One of my all time favorite players was Roberto Baggio. I seem to be condemned to follow brilliant artists who late in their careers are sidelined by coaches who decry their lack of defensive contribution. I suppose I could switch my allegiance to Kevin De Bruyne, but he plays for the wrong premier league team

daedalus repped this.
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thebigman repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not Ceballos's vision (I haven't seen enough to form an opinion). It's that Ceballos is so rarely involved in the play. It seems like he just doesn't move enough, though my eyes could be deceiving me.

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gandalf the White, our savior
    Everyone was so happy for Holdini yesterday (yes I know it was only Nottingham)

thebigman repped this.
  15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's not Carzola if that is what you mean. I actually don't think he's that good. I just dont know if he has the aggression is his personality to play English ball. But if we ever make it back to the Holy Land of CL football he might be useful.

16. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, that was a lot of fun to watch. Chambers, Tierney, Martinelli all very good. Torriera did a nice job defensively, but didn't have a great game passing. Great to see Tierney, and Holding and Bellerin back again.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gandalf m8

Super Llama repped this.
  18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gandalf the White is Saruman, according to Gandalf himself. Fwiw.

19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Y'all I'm gonna say something very controversial, and I'm gonna whisper it this time, but next time it might be louder:

Shkodran Mustafi

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd kind of like to see us try...

------------------------ PEA ---------------------------
    --- Saka ---------------------------------- Pepe ---
    ---------- Duezy -------------- Torreira ----------
    ------------------------ Luiz ----------------------------
    Tierney - Holding - Chambers - Bellerin

21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welp we got Liverpool next round. This has been fun!

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a blessing. Although I really did enjoy our lineup, formation, and how we played in our first League Cup match

23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to look this up

“Indeed I am Saruman, one might almost say, Saruman as he should have been.“

Tonerl repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would like to see luiz in that role just to see if he’s capable there

If he plays ceb it should never be with sok

25. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Ozil used to be able to beat people off the dribble especially in open space and in transition. He seems to have lost that part of his game.