Can't We All Just Get Along? (The Transfer Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I did always admire Benitez's 'ambition' at Liverpool - always an efficient spender.

I'm not mad at anyone, but ambition and 'good business' are far from the same thing. They paid a price that no one else even approached.

If you went to buy a house and knew that the best bid was 100k, would you offer 175k or 105k?

I'm all for ambition and wish Arsenal showed a bit more but blowing 40 million on a good, not great, striker is beyond me.

Super Llama repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Butthurt glory supporters spouting biased shit. Who knows if arsenal even focking bid for the one dimensional striker? I would rather strengthen other areas if we arent buying a number ten as huguain is not in the same league as rvp or even suarez for off the ball movement and chance creation. Seriously, nothing worse than people tryibg to educate fans of teams they support from the outside like they are involved with the club....newsflash, u are not even from the same cnuting continent so all the knowledge produced is the same internet hearsay everyone else gets. Unless u work at the club or are the manager yourself, chances are u know fcuk all like everyone else

Some spaz on bigsoccer doesnt decide market rate either. The selling club does. Man utd paid 30 million for berbatov but 5 less for a superior player in rvp and they were at Similair ages...

This forum is easily at its all time worst and this thread shoukd be taken behind the shed and shot

mebeSajid, charlie15 and crazy150 repped this.
  3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, our best transfers of the last two windows fit that description. Arteta. Mertesacker. Cazorla. Good players with a proven track record. Not so good that Barca and Bayern have to buy them. You lose a little bit of upside with this type of player, but at least you're getting a useful starter who can perform.

If I were running a club I think I would use the strategy of buying solid, modestly-priced veterans to keep the team in contention while looking mainly at youth players and younger prospects for the superstar upside. As I pointed out, there are lots of guys like Ozil, Lewandowski, Falcao, and Di Maria who were had for relatively cheap one or two moves before their big transfer. The key is getting them early.

Somewhere out there the next wave is just waiting to be discovered. We should leave no stone unturned looking for those guys. Or maybe we should just buy the entire scouting departments of Porto and Benfica. They seem to always find these guys under a rock in South America who can come in and become monsters.

The problem for Arsenal is that we can't really afford to wait on youth. With the trophy drought and the fans getting antsy, we kind of need at least one instant impact player. That's going to be hard to find without putting money on the table. That's why I think the Suarez move makes some sense. Even if he isn't worth what we pay for him, he's a proven impact player and signing him for a record fee would be a statement of intent.

OklahomaGunner repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately, we say that every year....:unsure:

5. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    [​IMG]

6. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it's days are numbered, certainly in europe, where the money and power is, and marcos motta can cry his eyes out about it all he wants. he'll still have plenty of reals left to dry those tears up.

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

gifs. This thread needs gifs.

[​IMG]

charlie15 repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OH MY GOD. YOURE RIGHT

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah. Given where we are at the moment, I'm ok with paying what Napoli paid to get Higgy. But the way the deal went down, where Real had already agreed to a fee with us substantially below that, makes it much harder. And given that I don't blame Wenger for not doing it.

I do blame Wenger for not getting on his horse a month or six weeks ago, so we could be where we then instead of now.

11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Not just that but the German league is on the upswing as well, and it'll be interesting to see what happens to them over the next five years or so. There's a danger that Bayern will dominate the League like Real/Barca do Spain, but it hasn't happened yet. There's a half dozen or so competitive teams in Germany, and if they can find a way to share broadcasting revenue, that combined with their better corporate structure could influence interest toward the Bundesliga and away from Spain.

12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Suarez is fcuking great. Moreover he's great in exactly the ways we lack at the moment. I'd be perfectly happy if we got Higgy here but Suarez is at another level. Specifically he creates loads of chances with exceptional technical ability and speed and creativity of thought 5 to 25 yards away from the opponents' goal.

Suarez is a poor man's Messi and in fact is the closest thing to Messi stylistically in world football.

OklahomaGunner, charlie15 and UnionFan11 repped this.
  13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That was probably a mistake on their part. Napoli need five players, not one. And if they get one, I don't think Higgy helps Napoli as much as he would for us.

14. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I always get confused with this line of thinking. A sale works by the buyer attempting to purchase at the lowest figure possible and the seller attempting to sell at the highest figure possible. The market rate is the rate at which the asset is transferred. Taking that into respect, why would you insult the seller because they are attempting to get the most they can from the product they are selling?

15. AmericanGooner1986

Jul 14, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I spent a summer there during my college years... never again will I go there.

16. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Uh oh, i feel myself getting pulled into this "internet fight" but can't stop...oh well, in defense the EPL is a 1 party dictatorship, with United having won more EPL trophies than all other EPL clubs combined! If you compare how many LaLiga teams have gotten further in the Champions League + Europa, the LaLiga teams win out by a great margin. Just last year 3 la liga teams were in the final 8 of the Champions League (Barca, Madrid, Malaga) while the EPL had 0. Although you guys had 2 teams in the final 8 of the Europa, 2 years ago LaLiga had 3 teams in the final 4 of the Europa and 2 teams in the final 4 of the CL (Barca + Madrid). This doesn't say one league is better than the other, but it is delusional to believe that the EPL is at the top of the world in premier clubs or talent at this moment.

17. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about which league is better but this is some really fine stat parsing.

18. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the EPL has the best team in the world, but I do think it has the greatest potential of all the leagues in Europe. While Bundesliga and La Liga currently have the best teams, the EPL is just a more profitable brand. From a marketing standpoint, the EPL is the future. Maybe not in terms of talent and teams atm, but it is growing strong and Blatter is sh*tting his pants.

19. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bundesliga is the real competition, La Liga games outside of the Clasico often seem kind of lifeless, even if the technical level is there- though I will catch games of players I really like. Often the stadiums aren't that full it seems as a casual viewer.
    Bundesliga has the great atmosphere, good technical level, and with tighter officiating standards so the there is more soccer, less leg breaking than the EPL but not the dive-fest of La Liga. I much prefer the BL games aesthetically to non-Arsenal EP. If they can up their international marketing and make sure BM doesn't snap up all the good players, they could be the real rival to EPL.

elessar78 and red & wite army repped this.
  20. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think you missed the point my friend. It's hard to compare apples and oranges, but as a simple exercise take the top two teams out of every league and then compare. Without RM and Barca, la liga looks more like like the primeira liga in portugal.
    As far as CL goes, you guys win no doubt--mainly due to barca's dominance the last several years. Don't get me started on the effing classico...jesus what a cluster-fcuk. Players slapping each other like school girls and falling down like they've been struck by lightening...it's stoppage every 30 seconds and once a team gets a 2 goal lead it's unwatchable with the petty fouling and diving and time wasting.

daedalus, thebigman and charlie15 repped this.
  21. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

From what I heard the league is more sustainable too and prices are more fan friendly. Maybe someone can confirm.

22. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is true, but until oligarch/oil money starts flowing in there to attract the "name" players, it won't have as much appeal as it could.

23. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm.. so one season of poor CL performance measn the Premier League IS SHIT! lol..

lol.. Barca and Real have far and away the highest turnovers, most supporters, and most money available. Do you dispute that United have dominated due to Fergie's genius and not size per se? Yes, United is the biggest club in England, but there are other clubs which whilst smaller still can compete. Similar to Germany in a sense (Bayern is the biggest club, but Dortmund, Schalke and maybe Hamburg are not far behind in supporter base/tradition/finance terms).

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Back to us, hmmm.. I think Arsene is reverted to his "Arsenecode" lol..

Much of the statements he's made recently imply due to feeling pissed off at being rebuffed by Real, Liverpool and United, he's accepted his current squad and will move on from there.

25. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody dreams of playing in Spain anymore unless it's for RM or Barca. The other teams are irrelevant. Even Valencia has been castrated, selling Villa, Mata, and Silva. Look at all the players jumping ship to England. Silva. Mata. Cazorla. Michu. Soldado. You don't see anyone going the other way except failures like Vela and Dos Santos. Meanwhile mid-table English clubs like Sunderland, Swansea, and Southampton are flexing financial muscle and making significant buys. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to identify the problem:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/11/la-liga-television-rights-premier-league

La Liga has allowed itself to be hijacked by RM and Barca, which has been good for those clubs, but death for everyone else. This problem exists to various degrees across all of the major European leagues, but it's not as bad in England. City, United, Arsenal, and Chelsea all have massive financial standing. There are 7 English clubs on the Forbes list of the 20 most valuable franchises. Only two from La Liga (I'll let you guess which).

Basically, La Liga has sacrificed its domestic league in the name of European glory. The two big titans are among the best teams in the continent, but all of the quality and wealth in Spain is concentrated within those two sides. On the other hand, the name brand English clubs have sacrificed a bit of their high end earning potential for the overall betterment of the domestic league. The smaller clubs like Sunderland and Stoke are actually getting a lot of TV money. Money that could be used to pump up Man U's and Arsenal's vanity, but is instead going towards strengthening their competitors in order to ensure a a more balanced league. The English product is a lot better and the arrow is trending upward.