Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    FIFA is not inclined to wait ...

https://wtop.com/asia/2019/07/fifa-seeks-quick-expansion-of-womens-world-cup-to-32-teams/

"FIFA is asking its ruling council to fast-track expansion of the next Women’s World Cup to 32 teams"

"Nine FIFA member federations are preparing to submit formal plans for a 24-team tournament by October.

They are: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and South Korea, which could bid with North Korea.

FIFA now wants to modify the process in August by asking the nine federations to confirm interest in a 32-team tournament, and inviting other federations to enter.

If council members agree to the expansion by next week, FIFA suggests they would pick the host next May instead of March as previously scheduled."

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See above, looks like re-bids are in order.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Bad idea IMO. Should wait one more cycle

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    This throws off the bidding nations. Just wait until 2027. FIFA just wanting more $$$.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Adding 8 more teams to this year's World Cup would have meant adding the (likely) following teams:

UEFA: Switzerland, Denmark, Belgium
    CAF: Mali
    AFC: Philippines
    CONCACAF: Panama
    CONMEBOL: Colombia
    +1 more from either CONCACAF or CONMEBOL.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Mali really?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, they were 4th in the Cup of Nations this cycle.

The three additions from UEFA seem like they wouldn't be too overmatched in the existing WWC'19 crowd. But the CAF and AFC extras would get creamed, as would the extra C'CAF/C'BOL playoff team, and I wouldn't put a ton of money into the direct C'CAF or C'BOL additions. All the more reason to not expand yet.

8. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Expanding to 32 teams for 2023 would see a lot more 13-0 blowouts. Just a way for FIFA to make more money while struggling nations refuse to add money for their women's programs.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Some probably outright refuse while others probably have 0 money at all.

10. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    This would only allow an elite of countries to organize a tournament with so many countries ...I think I miss Herr Blatter

blissett repped this.
  11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    They could have more dual hosts in future - presuming the women's world champions still won't automatically qualify. But it's typical Fifa, rushing ahead. Last year they announced and dropped a plan to expand the 2022 men's World Cup. They might drop this too, maybe if the bidders are against it.

We all do. :) You wouldn't see Blatter's colleagues getting detained by police like this ... (*oh, wait)
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48673461
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/fifa-vice-president-detained-by-french-authorities.2104248/

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    lil_one, TimB4Last and blissett repped this.
  13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    agreed, it's a bad decision. I wonder if any countries currently bidding will drop out?

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    With Australia or Japan as host.

Host(1): Australia/Japan
    UEFA(12)
    AFC(5)
    CONCACAF(4.5)
    CONMEBOL(3.5)
    CAF(4)
    OFC(1): New Zealand

blissett repped this.
  15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think my nation should drop out.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why?

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bidding for a FIFA event is a waste of money for us. FIFA has shown no interest in coming here in the past for anything. There are a lot better things that we can spend the money on.

18. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This FIFA Women’s World Cup bidding process is becoming a joke. First of all, they should’ve selected the next host nation months before the last World Cup, not 11 months after.

toad455 repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And now they are 10....

Argentina Australia Belgium Bolivia Brazil Columbia Japan South Korea (joint with North Korea) New Zealand South Africa

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So it's officially a joint Korea bid? I'm sure that looks appealing from a "global goodwill" facade, but I bet it'd be disastrous organizationally. Would love to see NZL or a C'BOL team win hosting. BEL and RSA would be fun as well.

blissett repped this.
  21. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you’re more concern about blowouts than help encourage girls to compete and play football by expanding the field to 32 teams?

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You have to strike a balance between competitiveness and openness. Not enough on the former and too much on the latter leads to "let's turn the WWC into a KO tournament with EVERY nation everywhere!". Slippery slope argument, I know, but I'm exaggerating for a point - don't expand for the sake of expanding. It's great to expand the tournament's horizons in due time, but my concern is that the expansion to 24 hasn't matured yet. We still had a large number of debuting teams in 2019, so clearly the tournament is still pretty open in terms of qualification opportunity.

23. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #123 Chizzy, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019

I get it. I get your personal take. It is not a perfect formula. Soccer or sports is not perfect as much as life is in general. However, I think that expanding the field to 32 will do more good than harm. If it means more blowouts, let it come. Athletes can learn and succeed tremendously through trials of fire if you have the right mentality.

24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    If New Zealand were to host, does OFC get an automatic birth? Could someone like Papua New Guinea actually qualify?

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Or Fiji who are starting to improve, FIFA can mix it up and give 0.5 places to OFC alongside NZL if they get it...