Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of the current weather in France and host nation always going to qualify anyway, perhaps they should encourage India to bid. ;)

2. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Argentina. They showed a good spirit this year. It seems that their FA does not back them as they should. A World Cup there would surely change that. People will make the point that this would be rewarding a failure to invest in their own team. However, I would argue that a World Cup would force them to up their game. Alternatively give it to Brazil as that would help wake them up.

I do agree that the next WWC and probably the next two should go to nations that have clear potential to grow the women's game.

3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I'd be okay if Argentina gets the 2027 WWC. 2023 is still between Japan and Australia. Though I'd love it if the Netherlands host a WWC soon, too.

2023: Australia
    2027: Argentina
    2031: Netherlands
    2035: South Africa
    2039: USA

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see a WC being held again in Europe so soon, then again; I'm sure FIFA would like to capitalize on the incredible growth in fandom and support for the tournament.
    2039 def sounds good for the US; a nice 40 year anniversary for the '99 winners. '

I'd say
    2023 : Australia
    2027: A Latin American country
    2031: South Africa
    2035: A European country
    2039: USA
    2043: An Asian country

soccernutter repped this.
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Netherlands reaching the final could seriously boost their chances to host it in 2027.

McSkillz, soccernutter, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a solid point.

jagum, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And how much boosted their chances would be if they'd end winning the whole thing? :geek:

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2023 : Australia (Because Japan is hosting the Olys)
    2027: A Latin American country (Needs to expand to LA)
    2031: South Africa (Needs to expand to Africa)
    2035: A European country Japan (earned, possible swap with South Africa)
    2039: USA (for the aforementioned reason to recognize the 99ers), otherwise could swap with 2043)
    2043: An Asian country A European Country (because why not).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to feel very OLD here.

M, McSkillz, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I'm gonna be 29 forever.

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #86 Lechus7, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    [​IMG]

Official logo for the campaign to bring the next Women's World Cup to Japan.
    2023 logo is "designed with distinctive stripes and unique dots, illustrates the entertainment and speedy interaction of players on the pitch, as well as expressing the embracement between people from different race, gender and cultures through football". The slogan is Time to Fly!

“We in Japan have a strong desire to harness the momentum built by the 2019 tournament in France to ensure women’s football continues to advance, expand, and ascend to a higher level, elevating it to a status parallel with that of the men’s game. We firmly believe that Japan can make this happen. Now, it’s time to fly and elevate the Women’s World Cup to an even higher level.
    Japan is fully prepared to deliver this incredible tournament to a true showcase, and empower the youth, women and more."

"Witnessing top-class entertainment before our own eyes changes the world. When embracing such wonderful experiences, differences in race, gender, and cultures disappear. That thrill moves people, removing barriers and embracing all aspects to ensure we become one. This is what we want to achieve in 2023 in Japan".

- TASHIMA Kohzo, President of JFA/Chairman of Japan 2023 Bid Committee.
    (jfa.jp)

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    toad455, McSkillz, MiLLeNNiuM and 2 others repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess Europe will probably get like 5 of those spots. I'd love to see Africa get far more.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! I'm stunned.
    If it goes to 32 teams, we are still looking at 7 games per team, correct?

15. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Apparently the balance is beginning to tilt to this area of the Atlantic. Colombia according to the article, resigned its candidacy for the Women's World Cup 2023 and will support Argentina, along with the rest of South America.
    Because Colombia preferred to organize the most important matches of Copa America 2020 including the final and in return will resign as host of the Women's World Cup 2023.
    It would be the first Women's World Cup in South America and perhaps this would give greater support to Argentine women's soccer and the necessary recovery to progress. Argentina is a beautiful country, with nice cities and good stadiums. It has good infrastructure but I'm not sure that it can have a good number of spectators. Low attendance and not having a competitive team would be its biggest handicap. https://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/c...ombia-cederia-mundial-femenino-de-2023-381888

MiLLeNNiuM and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So Australia or Latin America. I'd imagine the organizers would prefer Latin America for proper viewership and that sweet tv deal.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so because I guess it would just be taking the top two teams from each group instead of the situation we have now where we were including top 3rd place teams in the Round of 16.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I wonder if we'll see more of the rampant corruption that largely defined FIFA--and federations that dealt with FIFA-- for decades. It's why there'll be a World Cup in Qatar! Oh, my....

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, actually, worries me a bit.
    How will FIFA guarantee that the monies go to their intended purpose within each federation, and not just line the pockets of some people who could care less about developing their national teams? I'm especially thinking about the S. American and African national teams. Their players seem to be the most vocal in complaining about their federations.

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same issue on the men's side as well, at least as far as Africa goes. :(

21. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Do not be misled by Conmebol politics, and its disdain for regional women's soccer.

Think about it:
    1 CA final match is traded for a candidacy to host 52-64 WWC matches.
    How does that make sense for Colombia, even in financial terms?

In reality...
    The Colombian FA was threatening to pull out of CA 2020, so it received hosting rights for the final match.
    Problems with its women's pro league reduced its odds as WWC candidate: 2019 league planned with fewer teams than last year, for starters.

The Argentinian FA wants political backing for 2030 Men's WC.
    Its resume would improve if it included a 2023 WWC candidacy.
    I doubt that it would be ready to host the next WWC, within 3 years notice (37 FIFA officials will vote on March 2020).

I can see the Argentinian FA pulling out before March 2020, in exchange for more political backing towards 2030 MWC.
    "Hey Japan, I scratch your back for 2023 and you scratch mine for 2030?"

jagum and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I don't see the 2023 going to 32 teams. The bidding process has it as 24 teams, but I can see them pushing the 2027 WWC to 32 teams.

And Argentina should put their money in 2027. 2023 is still between Australia and Japan.

23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    32 teams World Cup

Host: 1(Argentina)
    UEFA: 11
    AFC: 6
    CONCACAF: 4.5
    CONMEBOL: 3.5
    CAF: 5
    OFC: 1

24. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Japan is a much larger nation and thus much more likely to sell tickets and fill stadiums. Besides, it has the merit of two finals and one title to its credit. And, it capably shared host duties for the MWC in '02. Australia would probably do a good job, but my inclination is Japan.

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah, it makes sense to wait until 2027 for that big boost.