Canadian Transfer Record Set to Fall?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by devioustrevor, Dec 22, 2011.

1. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Apparently Stoke is lining up an £8M bid for Junior Hoilett. Apparently Tottenham are also interested in him.

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the reasons mentioned why he hasn't committed himself to any particular nation yet was settling his professional status. If he signs with Stoke or Tottenham, he'd seem pretty settled. Perhaps a transfer next month makes Hoilett an option for Canada?

2. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or England, depending on how you view the situation.

3. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Junior has no real shot at England, nor has he satisfied the residency requirements. Not to mention England passed on Almunia and Arteta because they aren't from any of the home nations. Jamaica is Canada's biggest threat to capping Junior.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Official word from Junior is that he intends to cap with Canada.

Official word from Senior is that he intends to cap with Jamaica.

Either way, if his club status is settled soon we should see him capped for somebody in the next round of WC qualifiers in June.

CSA has been actively courting him, and from what I hear, JFF not so much.

5. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Jonathan De Guzman is also looking to play for Canada and is trying or is already in touch with Junior to join him. JDG2 will only do it if it doesn't mean losing his Euro passport (ie, so he can continue to be employed there easily and not count as non-EU - which does actually make sense, though it kills me as a Canadian fan).

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In that respect, we are at the mercy of the Dutch government, who only allow dual citizenship under specific circumstances.

7. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    ^maybe! I am not getting into the citizenship/passport nonsense! he plays or he doesn't. I support the guys we have....

8. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    btw what is the transfer record?

if hoilett does play for canada, i think there's a very good chance he'd suit up nationally before the next WC qualifying round, actually

9. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jon de Guzman's transfer to Villarreal was for €8.5M which is a little less than £7.1M

If that doesn't count I suspect Tomasz Radzinski's £4.5M move from Anderlecht to Everton is still on top.